Who We Are Review

lifehouse: Who We Are
Release Date: Jun 19, 2007
Label: Geffen
Genres: Post-Grunge, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
With Who We Are, Lifehouse takes another evolutionary step making an upbeat album full of potential hits sure to please fans and make new ones.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.7
Who We Are Reviewed by: papersun87, on september 12, 2007

Sound: One word can be used to sum up the sound of this album: mellow. It's not as mellow as their previous, self-titled release, but Who We Are is still a voyage across a very calm sea. That said, songs like Disarray and The Joke] still bring with them a good amount of energy, the latter of which sounds like it should be played at some bar mitzfa or Greek wedding or something like that. The first half of the album is more energetic and it tends to mellow out after The Joke, ending with a soft, piano-driven Learn You Inside Out and a mostly-a capella Storm. For you fans of the clean guitar, this album is for you as Jason Wade uses it as the basis for his sound on the bulk of the album. The acoustic guitar makes an appearance on Broken, which is a beautiful, prayerful song. // 8

Lyrics: I think Jason Wade has one of the best voices in music today, with the ability to stretch from a soothing whisper to a raucous shout. His voice matches the music perfectly. I also think Jason Wade has written some of the best lyrics I've ever heard from him here, namely on Broken and the title track, Who We Are. The album deals mostly with getting through trials and tribulations, with the ultimate goal being that hopefully though all of it, we will learn a little about ourselves when it's all said and done. Other great lyrics can be found on Easier to Be, which has a bit of a bluesy feel and an "ooh-and-ahh" backing vocal on the chorus. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it is Lifehouse's best album to date, and in my opinion, the best album to come out so far in 2007. Favorite songs are Disarray, Broken, Easier to Be, and the soul-rending Storm. If it were stolen, I would track down the thief and compliment him on his excellent taste, then go buy another copy. // 9

Who We Are Reviewed by: Doowhop, on august 07, 2007

Sound: It's a little hard for a fan of rough, raw music to rate an album with music that is widely considered as "mainstream". But I'll try anyway. The sound of Lifehouse has been changing through the past years. As a fan, you will understand what I talk about when I say NNF and SCF have been different from the last 2, although on WWA, the guys have gotten a little bit backwards to me, as it sounds more to compare to NNF as to anything else (just without the harps and violins, and stuff) the band made. It's honest rock, it's inquisitive slow sounds, it's emotional ballads. A good mixture to an even better record. // 9

Lyrics: Jason Wade has been my favorite singer, and one of my favorite songwriters for a long time now. His work is honest, very personal though, and he has a great ability to show his feelings, expressing them in distinctive music. The lyrics still drive, or they still have emotional power to secure the listeners attention. The musical arrangement with the lyrics is not always brilliant, but decent in what the songs give once they are complete. // 8

Overall Impression: What's surprising is that even though Lifehouse has been making changes all along the way, the band has not lost it's charisma or independence. Although, as said, they could not resist going mainstream in past years, they still managed to roll along with their unmistakable tunes. It could have been better, but Lifehouse made the best of a business to keep their share of the cake, as well as making the fans proud to be a Lifehouser once again (or, did they?) // 8

More Lifehouse reviews rating latest review
+ Almeria 7.6 12/10/2012