Hypermagic Mountain Review

lightning bolt: Hypermagic Mountain
Release Date: Oct 18, 2005
Label: Load
Genres: Post-Rock/Experimental, Indie Rock
At its most chaotic, Hypermagic Mountain could tear open a wormhole into Comets on Fire's Blue Cathedral.
 7.6
 5.7
 9.4
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Hypermagic Mountain Reviewed by: ljoekelsoey4, on june 10, 2008

Sound: "Bombastic, face-ripping noise metal." That is Lightning Bolt. It is only 2 guys, a bassist and a drummer. Yet, the noise! It certainly took me many months to learn to appreciate it, but I'm glad I spent the time trying; I've never heard a band like this before. It is kind of like a cross between slipknot without a 'singer', and something between Pendulum and DJ Tiesto. Quite unfathomable, you'll agree, but this is as close a description as I can get. Don't be fooled though, this is essantial noise, but damn, it's good noise! Best idea would be to go listen to some, try youtube, as well it's not much if a buy when 99.9% wont get past the 1 minute mark on the album. // 8

Lyrics: Short answer; there are no decipherable lyrics, the song Birdy has some singing to it, but it's pretty incomprehensible. But this 'music' doesn't need lyrics, the same way DJ Tiesto doesn't need lyrics, there is purely no point, nobody is listening to this for some thought provoking lyrics, you listen to it to get your faced ripped off. // 2

Overall Impression: It is certainly original. Although slightly repetative, after the first couple of songs, you know pretty much what's coming from the rest of the album, and although it's not musically very clever, there's a hypnotic quality to it, and I get it. So thumbs up from me, but as much a thumbs up as you can get for "noise metal" // 7

Comments