Sweet Talker Review

Released: Dec 14, 2010
Genre: Metalcore / Post-Hardcore
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
Sweet Talker Reviewed by: La_Deux_Machina, on february 03, 2011

Sound: Like Moths to Flames is a Hardcore/Metal band located in Columbus, Ohio. Coming out of a very strong music scene, Like Moths to Flames brings the heat. Frontman/Vocalist Chris Roetter has been around the music scene for a while. Previously of Agraceful and Emarosa, Roetter has experience throughout the years of making superb vocals. While the guitar in Like Moths to Flames isn't the most technical, it never lacks, and fits the style of music perfectly. The drum work really stands out to me in the album. Lance Greenfield does an excellent job in keeping things moving along. Excellent transitions and melodies throughout the album. The overall sound of the album is put together nicely and is produced well. What more could you expect from a producer like Landon Tewers? While the album is strong, I don't see it bringing anything into the music scene that already isn't there. But, they do it well. I give it a strong 8. // 8

Lyrics: Chris Roetter's previous band, Agraceful, was a Christian band. Therefore, the lyrics reflected it. Like Moths to Flames is a different take on things, however. Chris Roetter is quoted as saying about the album: "I write a lot more about life experiences, not only religious experiences. I just wanted to express a different side of my life." This is definitely expressed in his lyrical ideas for the EP. Roetter shows his angst not only through his lyrics but his vocals as well. Upon listening to the album, you can't help but feel the emotion expressed through his screams and singing. The album has very good transitions along with the change of lyrics. Highlighting a certain point that no doubt wants to be expressed. I've always been a fan of what I know Chris Roetter could be. I've preferred his deep vocals over his high pitch shrieks. I'm glad that they utilized this in the album without overusing it and vice versa. I give it weak 8. // 8

Overall Impression: Sweet Talker is the bands debut EP released on December 14. It's a very strong album but leaves me with wanting more from this band. Whether or not that's a good or bad thing depends on how you look at it. Strong songs on the album are Your Existence and Real Talk. I love how Your Existence gets things going right out of the gates and I love the breakdown at the end of Real Talk. I love the direction this band is heading in. The only thing I hate is the fact that it's an EP. I wish Sweet Talker had a few more songs on it that way it would feel complete. But, of course, that's why it's an EP. From Emarosa to Agraceful to Like Moths to Flames, I believe that Chris Roetter has finally found his niche. I truly am looking forward to future releases from this band. Overall impression is a weak 9. // 9

More Like Moths To Flames reviews rating latest review