Greatest Hitz Review

6.6
 6.7
 6.4
Greatest Hitz Reviewed by: nineinch9, on november 03, 2005

Sound: Oh, Limp Bizkit. Ending words with 'z' isn't "cool with the kids" anymore. Anyway, Fred and the gang felt it was time to comprise the moments that made Limp Bizkit onto one compact disc. Now for a band that's had it's name thrown through crap for the last number of years, they deserve both sides on the spectrum. History has shown us that it's easy to pick on the white boy who raps, but not many people will admit that Limp Bizkit kick started a new genre of music in a time where people were just aching to break stuff. Credit where credit is due. If every other band who did the same got the same treatment, we would all be kicking Kurt Cobain's name around and calling grunge gay. Not saying that the Bizkit and Nirvana have anything in common, but creating the sound for a new generation of listeners isn't so easy to do. Three Dollar Bill and Signifacant Other were a force to be reckoned with in its hayday, but as probably one of the fastest dieing genre's as well, the band began to slip in an uphill battle to stay relevant. Instead of adapt with the industry trends, they continued to stay the course, screaming unconvincing pleas that they were still on top. The last couple years have found Limp Bizkit however trying to find an audience that doesn't find them to be a huge gimmick, with limited success at best. No surprise, this compilation doesn't feature The Truth or any mention of anything from The Unquestionable Truth, as it turned out to be commercially limp. Greatest Hitz features three new songs from the Biz. Why, a rather nice acoustic peice, except for Fred Durst's voice not reaching the softer qualities the song deserved, Lean On Me, which features a base line that sounds like it's getting dragged through mud, and Bittersweet Home, one of the more ambitious tracks Limp Bizkit has attempted, as it's a mish-mash between Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home and The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony, even though that too comes out as more mess then anything, but can you blame 'em for trying. // 6

Lyrics: Well, anyone who's heard of Limp Bizkit will fill in their own blank here. Fred doesn't really have a thing for softer peices, as it's more the Break Stuff's and the Nookie's that people will hold onto more then anything. Witness to that is Behind Blue Eyes, which proves that you can't mess with The Who and damn well get away with it, espically while you make out with Halle Berry. Let that be a lesson to you kids. Don't expect thoughts deeper then lyrics about breaking things or having sex with things, basically, unless slow songs that don't get the lyrical treatment they deserve is up your alley. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said before, Limp Bizkit does deserve both ends of the stick. They did do good things in the way of songs like Faith, a song I still can't help but scream along with when I hear it. I can also understand people who just want them to shut up! When your just above water in the music industry, crying about Britney Spears and songs called Rollin' probably don't help. I admire the fact that they stuck to, a broad idea at least, of greatest hits, or hitz in this case. Instead of loading full of their earlier material, which people have been crying for since the band's most evident slip in Results May Vary, they stuck down to the songs that the people will remember them for. All the time you hear of bands having to evolve to make it, which Limp Bizkit did but the genre they were in didn't follow. That's what happens when you ride into town on a one-trick pony. // 6

Greatest Hitz Reviewed by: Guitaroooo_Man, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Well, Like all greatest hits albums, it's not exactly great as you've heard it all before. However, it comes with 3 brand new songs, I personally am not a huge fan of the new songs, but hey, at least it's something new. It consists of all the hits you might expect, my only bone to pick is that they didn't put "Sour" from $3Bill on the album. But none the less, it'll do. // 8

Lyrics: you know all about the old songs, so I'll only rate the new ones. Why is a Build A Bridge ESK song but is slightly more progressive. The lyrics are about well, I guess death. but as it was written PRE Wes, During the Results May Vary era, Its very emo to say the least. Its soft and does really get going. But I enjoy listening, over all, I give this song a 6 out of 10. Lean on me is a great song, it is also from the Results May Vary era, therefore isnt as heavy as I and most people want Limp Bizkit to be. The lyrics are about love, also to be expect as it is from the RMV era. Home Sweet Home. This song is a Mesh of The Motley Crue's Home sweet home and The Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony. Its a great song, Its like Behind Blue eyes but alot better and more original. I hate LB doing covers, Faith was enough for me, but then I cant complain. I guess they didnt want to waste good new material on a GH album. That would be pointless. Over all, they really are great lyrics, really touching and meaningful, only if you "get it" of course. // 10

Overall Impression: The greatest hits idea wasnt one the band wanted to go with, it was forced on them by the label. Basically, this album wasn't wanted by the band. Anyways, the album is ok, but GH albums always suck, so I won't be rating this one too highly. // 4

Greatest Hitz Reviewed by: Scribbler, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Fred Durst is more a businessman than a front man or vocalist. He always attempts to devise new "plans" and "ideas" to sell the most records in the shortest amount of time. For instance, for the album "The Unquestionable Truth Pt. 1," Fred said that no campaigning or advertising would help sell the album due to the sense of mysteriousness. Fans were supposed to wonder why he never talked about the record, inticing them to purchase the album. Wrong, "The Unquestionable Truth Pt. 1" did not sell very well the first week. For "Greatest Hitz," Fred decided to use colors to attract people. He said that pink and white would work well to stand out amongst the usual dark, depressing, colors used by other artists today (isn't that what the cover of "The Unquestionable Truth Pt. 1" looked like Fred?) Did the album sell well within the first week, take a guess. Fred is not really a good composer as far as lyrics go. He goes as far as an adolescent would, even though he says they are supposed to be deep. We won't even get started with "Nookie." Being one of the most hated bands in the world, I think that they are doing pretty well so far. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics, not that much to discuss. Fred just rhymes for the sake of rhyming. There really are no hiding meanings, when he says something, it's exactly what you think he meant. Forget metaphors, forget anagrams, forget grammar. With Fred, even a kindergartener will be able to decipher all the hidden meanings, if any. From using lower case letters to spell "Limp Bizkit" to adding "z's" at the end of words, Fred does anything that seems cool enough to please the younger generation. Nothing to brag about here. // 4

Overall Impression: In all due honesty, this album would only be good if you never heard of Limp Bizkit which may come as a shocker to some. There are some good tunes from the early albums as well as some new tunes, three to be precise which are all good in their own respective manners but definitely no ground breakers. Make of this what you will. // 6

Greatest Hitz Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on february 09, 2006

Sound: The album one should buy if he or she is into alt. rock or rap-metal. With all their greatest hitz ranging from faith to Behind Blue Eyes, this is the album for a Bizkit lover or a Bizkit starter. The only reason I loved this album apart from hearing the classic Bizkit tracks was obviously because of the track Home Sweet Home/Bittersweet Symphony. The solo was the best part of the song. This album is sort of unnecessary I thought but all the same it is an album for those who want to get to know about what Limp Bizkit is. // 8

Lyrics: Well, my man Fred Durst is the dude behind all the lyrics. This album just shows how he has matured over the years and how he has developed as a singer rather than another rapper. The track Behind Blue Eyes proves my statement. Although I preffered the raw Limp Bizkit more than the Home Sweet Home one. I have to say the band is still awesome. Their live performance of Sanitarium in the Metallica Icon show was absolutely incredible. I don't have to say much about the lyrics cuz everyone knows that Fred Durst is the only person who can come up with such humurous yet anger filled lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Well overall, this is an awesome compilation. A must have for all Bizkit fans. And a must buy for all alt. rock lovers. The hitz such as My Way, Rollin', Faith etc. are all great. If I lost this album I would buy it! // 8

More Limp Bizkit reviews rating latest review