Hybrid Theory Review

artist: linkin park date: 02/11/2009 category: compact discs
linkin park: Hybrid Theory
Released: Oct 24, 2000
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angst-Ridden, Aggressive, Rowdy, Energetic, Bittersweet, Freewheeling, Brash
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Rap-Metal
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.9
 8.7
Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 14, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is really, really good. I heard "In The End" and "One Step Closer" back in 2003 and they were the two songs that got me into Linkin Park. The guitars on this album are pretty good especially in songs like Points Of Authority, One Step Closer, Papercut and With You all have good guitars in them. The drums on this album are insanely good too in songs like Papercut, One Step Closer, Crawling and Pushing Me Away all have good drum beats. The bass is really good on this album on songs such as Runaway and Pushing Me Away. So I really like the way Linkin Park sound because I have never heard a band like them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazingly good. Mike and Chester will always be one of the one of the best duo in writing lyrics for a band. With Mikes rapping and Chester's singing/screaming its a really, really good mix and I really like it when Mike raps because his rap beats are actually pretty good unlike 50 Cent and shit like that. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other albums because as I said Linkin Park have their own nu-metal sound which I think is pretty cool because they tried something different. I don't really have favourite songs on this album because they all kick ass. I love everything about it and hate nothing about it. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again because it is a kick ass album. I would reccomend this album to any fan of Limp Bizkit and Korn and any nu-metal fans. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 11, 2005

Sound: Linkin park is a great band, and this is by far their best CD. Instead of describing the sound as a whole (that would be virtually imposible, because every song is so unique), I'll describe each song individually. 01. Papercut - hip-hop style verses with really cool background music, and a hard rock chorus. (rap-rock) 9/10 02. One Step Closer - decent, but not really representative of the real style of LP. (Fastish hard rock) 7/10 03. With You - the worst rap-rock song on the CD, but still pretty good (rap-rock) 8/10 04. Points Of Authority - the CD's best pure-rock style song. Aggressive, angry and almost punky. (Grungish rock) 9/10 05. Crawling - my least favorite song on the CD, too slow, the verses are too quiet, but the chorus is good. (Pure hard rock) 6/10 06. Runaway - another generic rock song, but this one is less aggressive and more melodic. (Softer hard rock, but with some screaming) 7/10 07. By Myself - my favorite song on the CD, decent rap verses with a very heavy, screaming chorus and bridge. (rap-metal, but not much rap) 10/10 08. In The End - almost entirely hip-hop (and the quietest song on the CD). Deserving of the legendary status it's achieved. (rap with some rock) 9/10 09. Place For My Head - the best rapping on Hybrid Theory, followed by a fittingly angry chorus and a screaming ending. (rap-rock) 10/10 10. Forgotten - starts with a bang, and never gets boring. (Pretty melodic metal w/some rap) 9/10 11. Cure For The Itch - very skillfull, all-mixing song that is my favorite instrumental of all time, but it drags on a bit. (techno-style instrumental) 8/10 12. Pushing Me Away boring, too quiet song that is a sub-par end for a great album. (slow, quiet rock) 6/10 // 10

Lyrics: Unfortuantely, the lyrics don't match the sound. They all have the same message: "I hate you, I hate life, shut up, go away!" Anyone who said that they have deep meaning of hidden messages is lying. On the other hand, the vocals are very good. Mike is a decent rapper, but Chester is an incredible singer who can be soothing and melodic or loud and screaming but still in-key. They go together well as a team. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall Hybrid Theory is an excellent album for an excellent band. No two songs sound alike, and the whole CD is an experience. By all means, please buy it. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: TheGuitarDreams, on january 11, 2006

Sound: The first (relesed) album of LP. One of my favorites. This is in more of the metal section (since Hybrid Theory EP was mostly hip-hop). But if you like rock/rap like I do, then it's perfect. Although they claim to have a bass player, you can never hear any bass on any song. And the guitar effects sound the same on every single track (let's face it, every LP song ever made) but you gotta admit. I'm going to break it down for you. 01. Papercut - exellent song with lyrics of paranoia. 02. One Step Closer - great for the metal fans. This is hardcore screaming/headbanging. 03. With You - great song. Although it needs to be polished a little. 04. Points Of Authority - I've found myself playing this on my guitar quite a bit to perfect my ability to rap while playing my guitar. I've also noticed on the unrelesed original version, Mike's chorus is a little bit different, if it's not "Forfiet the game before somebody else takes you outta the frame," it's the "Sex In The Park" version. 05. Crawling - note: don't be offended by what's here! This is a great song, although sometimes misinterpreted. Many people have told me that they've cut their wrists to this song, and they are like 14 and 15 year olds. Personally, that's your buisness if you do that, it's not healthy though. 06. Runaway - great song. Screaming and guitars. What more could you want? 07. By Myself - the lyrics are great. The gutiar screeching in the beginning really gets you headbanging, although I prefer the Reanimated version better. 08. In The End - what more can be said? It was a classic from the beginning. But if you only like LP because of this one song because you heard it on the radio or saw it on tv, then shame on you. 09. A Place For My Head - pretty good. Reanimation improved it. 10. Forgotten - awesome song. Using a different style of verse in the beginning is what makes that song so kickass. 11. Cure For The Itch - hip-hop for those who want it. Mr. Hahn did a great job, except it's kinda on the slowish side. 12. Pushing Me Away - great song. It's amazing at first how this song is so overlooked. Although it was picked up and made about 3 times better in the Reanimation process. // 9

Lyrics: This is basically what you'll find: the collaboration of metal, hip-hop, grunge, punk. It was new and fresh. Mike's lyrics talk about real life and what some of us go through everyday and Chester's vocal range is phenomanal. Even when screaming his lungs out, he's still on key. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a little different than say, Limp Bizkit, or Staind. The better tracks make themselves obvious like "In The End," "Pushing Me Away," "Crawling" or "Forgotten" I own the album. And I would buy it again if it was stolen. LP is one of the greatest bands out there, so appreaciate good music when you hear it. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: ToolEulogy, on february 07, 2004

Sound: This is the first time somebody took all the styles of current day music and mixed them up to make one sound... of course they did it succesfully. This band has some of the greatest beats ever made. Linkin Park 's guitar's and samples and beats and whatever else they have are an almost perfect match. // 10

Lyrics: Chester's singing skills and Mike's middle toned rapping are unmatched together. (partly because there are no other combinations of singing and rapping) The lyrics relate to everyday person. They aren't straight up foward all the time like with most punk rock bands, some of their songs you have to think what they're truely talking about. // 8

Overall Impression: Finally, this album is on its own race. Its on no other competition with any other band. You can't really compare this group to any other rock band or any rapper. Of course this band is considered young and still is so they're no perfect. I would buy this album if I didn't have it already and I suggest you go do the same... // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on november 02, 2006

Sound: While what they did wasn't new, they were good at what they did. The guitars, vocals, drumming, and other effects blended very well together to create a sound for that era. Linkin Park also has all the elements to be liked by everyone, metalesque guitar riffs, rap, and teenage angst. Ultimate pop band. // 6

Lyrics: Sophmoric at best, and just whiny hormonal rants set to repetative guitar riffs at worst, LP has some of the worst lyrical work I've heard since the emo trend. Almost every song seems directed at an ex-girlfriend or a parent who did not give their kid a ride to the mall. While the lyrics do correspond to the angry sound of the music, they're about as deep as hairmetal. // 1

Overall Impression: I give Linkin Park credit for pulling so many genres together to create in theory the ultimate pop band, but besides that, it's relatively shallow music. I usually use it for ambiance when playing video games, but not much else. If the album were lost or stolen, I'd just consider another lost artifact from my middle school years. // 4

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: will102387, on march 18, 2004

Sound: Absolute originality. Styles of hip-hop, electronica, and hard-rock are blended to create a unique sound found in no other band. Some of the best sounds you can find in music. Excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are sharp. Metaphors are used frequently and make the listener think about what it means. The lyrics fit with the music perfectly and relate to everyday people. Singing is incredible as a harmony flows with the music from start to end. Rapping brings a new idea of how to express emotions, definitely adds to the tone. Excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Sharp, crisp, and fresh is what this album is. All 12 songs on this album are impressive. I love the fact that music is put together so well and with technique. Only thing I can say that I hate, is the fact that some songs are real deep in meaning and can stir ones mind about how they feel. I would buy this album over and over if I kept losing it. Definitely worth buying or getting a copy of. Excellent. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: The guitar part behind the rapping was the best part. It's hard for some tracks but it got some mellow tracks that'd make you go to sleep too. It's definitely Nu Metal style. Well, not everybody like hard rock and not everybody like rap either. But for those who likes combination, this is one great album! // 10

Lyrics: It's the one album that match up with most of my life stories. Especially "Crawling," "Runaway," "Points Of Authority" and "Pushing Me Away." The two singers did a great job by emphasizing each important word. // 10

Overall Impression: The first time you buy it, listen to "Place For My Head." Oh and the best part was the CD image. The red and black combination is the best! It looks like Asian letters (the way they wrote "Linkin Park"). And it's all just so perfect to me. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: lp_dude_2, on october 25, 2004

Sound: The sound on this CD was f--ing great. I've been listening to these guys since they came out in 2000, and I still listen to it everyday. Brad (the guitarist) is my hero! He has a sound no one can match. They bled hark rock, hip hop, and electronica. // 10

Lyrics: Chester's hard ass screaming and soothing singing mixed with Mike's harsh raping and harminizing vocals kicks ass! The great thing about the lyrics is I can relate to every song. And also the lyrics are about everything day things people think about but never say. Plus they arn't right up front with their lyrics, they have them subdued in the music which in my opion is the best way to write lyrics. They also don't curse at all in their music, which to me thats great because a lot of times new bands curse a lot to seem harcore so they don't have to spend the time to have talent and write real lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on there are "A Place For My Head" (I love the guitar part), "Papercut", "Crawling", "In The End", now that I think about it, all the songs are my favorite song, there isnt one bad song on here. If it wasn't for Linkin Park I wouldn't be into rock, wouldn't be playing guitar, and wouldn't be in a band. They are my favorite band of all time! The "LP" in my name stands for "Linkin Park". I know that's dorky but I don't care. If some one ever stole it I would find they, tie they to a fence, and disimboul them with a spoon! // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: htf_lumpy, on january 26, 2005

Sound: "Linkin Park" is an excellent band are the sound of their CD's are amazing. The different styles of music each member brings into the band is brilliant, and people would think that with these different styles in the same song, they would fail miserably. They were wrong. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent and actually have meaning to them, instead of those punk rock bands like "Slipknot" and "Korn." That just screams undsicipherable words (mainly swearing), just to be cool. And all you "Slipknot" and "Korn" fans, there is still room in the "Linkin Park Underground." Chester's singing and screaming, Mike's rapping, guitar and keyboard, Phoenix's bass, Brad's guitar, Rob's drums and Joe's mixing go together like a jigsaw puzzle to make the ultimate band, "Linkin Park." // 10

Overall Impression: "Hybrid Theory" is my second favourite album, closely behind "Live In Texas." No other band will ever be able to overtake Linkin Park because they are the only band of their type. The only albums that will have a chance would be future "Linkin Park" albums. I think the most impressive song on "Hybrid Theory" is "Papercut." It relates to make and is also a great song to play on guitar. It is my second favourite for guitar, followed by "From The Inside." "Papercut" is also my all-time favourite song. I love the guitar. Brad Delson, you are a genius. If the CD was stolen, I would by something else. A gun. And would hunt down the person who did it and shoot them in the face and get it back. You shouldn't waste LP CD's. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: Chestaufissen, on september 25, 2005

Sound: When I first heard One Step Closer back in 2000 I was like wow! I gotta get this. So I did. The first song I heard was Papercut, I never really liked rap, but I liked the intensive attitude of it along with the Guitars so I liked that one. With You was the next one, I didn't like the Dj, but I loved the little guitar riff you could really bob your head to that one, the emotion in the prechorus was great I loved that part, they could've done better on the chorus though other than that it was good. Points of Authority was pretty good it wasn't good as the other three. Crawling speaks for itself it won a grammy. Runaway was nice in the beginning, it kinda fell down at the end. By Myself not a nice song to listen to with other people but if your by yourself its good, I liked the intense scream Chester that does in there. In the End almost everyone likes it so that also speaks for itself. A Place For My Head, in my top three on this CD great song, very nice guitar riff just great. Forgotten, lyrically my favorite, great riff, and rythm. A Cure for the Itch, I hate the DJ. Pushing me Away nice end to a good CD, has that tennage angst in it, which I don't like so much but in this case I do. // 7

Lyrics: I liked there lyrics cause they make sense in a way, Papercut, One Step Closer, With You, Points of Authority, Runaway, By Myself, In The End, APFMH, Forgotten, Pushing Me Away all have that element in them. I like the way Mike raps, its seems like he's telling a story everytime. I like forgotten cause you got to pay attention to get it, I was completely surprised when I figured it out. Chester shows he can sing in some parts and not just yell and vocalize, it was nice, Mike can rap, even if its not that bs on regular rap. Overall it was good. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs were Papercut, WIth You, In The End, Forgotten, and Pushing me Away. I liked the way Mike rapped it was telling you what he was talking about, I liked the lyrics. I hate the DJ. I wouldn't buy his one again cause I'd have it on my computer. // 8

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: fox69, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Hybrid Theory was one of the 1st CDs I ever bought and I was definetly impressed. It's a really new sound they have out now. They mix metal guitar with rap, with punk, it's something that's just completely different. It's been a while since they've released any music so I'm hoping fer a new CD soon! // 10

Lyrics: Chester's lyrics are really emotional. He can sing about relationships or just about normal life. His talent is unbelievable tho. he has an awsome singing voice and he can sream so that your skin crawls. The guy who raps in the band is also really talented. He has cool rhymes thatarent all about smackin hoes an whatnot. Overall really good lyrically. // 10

Overall Impression: I like linkon park an this was a very good CD. the best songs are "Crawling," "Runaway," "In The End," "A Cure For The Itch" and "Pushing Me Away." If you ever lost this CD you'd have to buy it again because its just an awsome album to rock or mellow out to. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: guitarist13579, on january 26, 2007

Sound: Their debut album. I recently purchased this CD just anticipating it's release! Because the record was a sell-out where I live! What, I'm thinking what LP (Linkin Park) was trying to get a point about Christianity, and rest! The song, 'In The End', deals with religion and why do it if I'm gonna leave it? The song, 'Place For My Head' (One of My Favorites) dealed with the whole, 'rest' thing. But their interlude for Place For My Head, "Go Away" rocked! This is personally one of the best albums in the world! Rock with this rock/metal/hip-hop style CD. By the way, this introduced Linkin Park the band as one. As the most unique band ever. Due to their rock/hip-hop combo. // 10

Lyrics: I give the lyrics a 9-Flat! They're placed nearly the best possible way ever. The lyrics/music transition was nearly the greatest I've heard ever, 8-Flat for them. The Singer and Emcee/Chestor Bennington and Mike Shinoda (Mike is also a Major Producer.) screamed and sang the best ever on this album this would receive my 10. So they all are going together as a 9! So if you don't like the band as much as I do the CD is still worth the lyrics or music whichever you're into more! // 9

Overall Impression: Best Linkin Park album ever! Place For My Head, In The End, Points of Authority, With You, Pushing Me Away, Runaway, and One Step Closer were the most impressive songs from the album. I loved it all didn't hate anything on it! I would prefer for myself to rebuy the album if it was stolen or lost. // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: Alina, on february 12, 2007

Sound: Linkin Park's first album "Hybryd Theory" Made a great impact on me. So great that I in fact decided to write about it! LOL.The Music was very catchy with a spoon of RAP and a sprincle of Death Metal, and since I'm not really into rap, but really into Rock and stuff, it made me change my whole point of view. This album has an interesting story to it. One of the members' of the band grandmother died, so some screaming tracks like 'With You' and 'Crawling' are dedicated ho her. Hmm. // 9

Lyrics: I liked the lyrics a big and fluffy lot, because they were professionally created by professionals. They were very clever to put the album together like Linkin Park did, even though they put it togrther seven years ago! I lurve the way Chester (lead singer) vocalizes, e.g. screams into the microphone. // 8

Overall Impression: I love the fact that you can relate to some of the songs, like about relationships, how you can learn from their mistakes, and how can tell that if this album was stolen from my CD wrack, I would find the theif, and beat the hell out of him if I found one scratch on my prescous CD. How's that for a wrap? // 10

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: Oldreich87, on august 29, 2008

Sound: Pretty sick album! First off all I can say is wow. An amazing start for Linkin Park. Every song to me has a deep meaning and awesome guitar riffs, vocals, and pretty good rap from Mike. How can you forget the incredible vocals by Chester. His voice really goes good with each song. He can pretty much go into any tone. In some songs he has a very mellow voice like Crawling for example and other songs he screams at the top of his lungs and still goes good with the music like One Step Closer for example. If you like nu metal music then Hybrid Theory is the album for you. Sick sound! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were decent. I will give them that. However, in some songs they were repetitive and in other songs they were too soft like Crawling for example. Anyway, besides that the lyrics were really good. They were deep, meaningful, and full of energy. The songs In The End and Forgotten have the best lyrics in my opinion. In The End had very deep and meaningful lyrics and Forgotten had lyrics that were full of energy and at the same time very deep. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I thought that Hybrid Theory was a great start for Linkin Park. The original versions of the songs on Hybrid Theory are way better than the remix versions of the songs on Reanimation. The most impressive songs off Hybrid Theory are In The End, Forgotten, Crawling, Pushing Me Away, Papercut, and Runaway. As I say with every CD I say that you should buy it again. You should want to do that for every good CD out there. I would care very deeply if I found out that one of my CD's were lost or stolen and I would spend everyday hunting down the theif. Anyway, awesome CD! // 9

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: sk8er guitarist, on february 04, 2009

Sound: There sound is great it has a great distinction in it.I was goin to florida and had nothin to do poped in this CD and loved it ever since.This is my favrite album but they are all good I like some of there other songs like bleed it out and what I've done.Great band=Great songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great I used to remeber like half the songs in the album. I still remember most of the lyrics.The distinct thing about there lyrics is how they go from yelling to whispering.The singer is great they would'nt sound right without him.So buy the album it's great. // 7

Overall Impression: One of my favrite songs on this album is papercut I used to have that whole song memberized lyric wise. I love the songs on it and evrything about it.If it were stolen I would get it off of limewire lol but if I couldnt yes I would go and buy it again.I had one CD it was scratched and the only song that worked was papercut so that is why I know that one so well. // 9

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: lpincubusplayer, on july 18, 2003

Sound: What can be said about the southern California's rockers Linkin Park' Debut CD "Hybrid Theory". The first things that come to my mind are great new sound, fresh style, and cutting edge. // 8

Lyrics: The title alone gives you an idea of what your in for when you listen to the CD. "Hybrid Theory" is basically a "Hybrid" of six different kinds of music that each member brings to the band. And it shows with songs like "papercut" that have elements of rap in it, and touchs of hip-hop-rock in basically every song you can tell that these guys are influenced from different areas. // 8

Overall Impression: So all-in-all "Hybrid Theory" is a great musical expeirence. // 8

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: RevelationStorm, on june 14, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of Linkin Park's debut album, Hybrid Theory, is okay. The chord progressions and tones are brilliant. However, there was a little too much synthesized effects in the intro to each song. Just about every song started out with s synth keyboard sound and kicked in to a gritty hard rock guitar (which, don't get me wrong, sounds great. Just a little too much of it). // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics and Chester's (the lead singer's) vocal ability are probably the band's strong point. The lyrics form great storyline's and Chester can really rip out a good note along with a good, rich, hard rock sounding track. For example, in the song "Runaway," the lyrics were perfect and it had some sweet sounding notes in it that added a unique dimension to the song. The lyrics are definitely the best part about the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best rock albums out there. From the powerful, touching, soft lyrics of "In The End," to the fast, hard rock chords of "Points Of Authority," Hybrid Theory has a great mix of songs. Totally worth buying. // 8

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2005

Sound: The Hybrid Theory EP, Linkin Park's rare and almost unfindable debut CD, is a solid rap-rock album. It is rawer and much more low-budget than their other CDs (there is no voice overlapping). I would actually describe the sound as a whole as Run DMC meets Korn. I'll review each song seperately: 01. Carousel - good, emotional rap verses with a decent and very heavy chorus, great lyrics - 8/10. 02. Technique - decent turntable instrumental, but way too short to be memorable - 7/10. 03. Step Up - my favorite LP song ever; good rap with the catchiest chorus ever - 10/10. 04. And One - intense rock, but overall not too memorable; it actually reminds me of "Freak On A Leash" by Korn - 7.5/10. 05. High Voltage - catchy, mellow all hip-hop song with a cool chorus - 8/10. 06. Part Of Me - Mike's best rapping with a decent chorus; my second varorite song on the album - 9/10. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this EP are actually much better than the other LP CDs. Instead of just talking about being alone or hated, they deal with a variety of subjests, like drug addiction and suicide. The two all hip-hop songs are both trash talking, self-praising stuff, but they're still good lyrics. However, the fact that this CD has no voice overlapping, Mike often gets off-beat because he has to breathe in between lines. Also, Chester, who is the voice of LP, is severely underused on this EP, and there is NONE of his signature screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is worth any LP fan's while. Note that it is very hard to find, and only a few copies exist (I just downloaded it off of pushmeaway.com). It's different, but is still very good. // 8

Hybrid Theory Reviewed by: Jewok, on february 11, 2009

Sound: When this album first came out it was so unlike anything anybody else had been doing at the time. The sound Was the perfect blend of Rock, Hip-hop, and a little bit of Rap. Linkin Park was the first, and really the only, band to mix all these different sounds and make it sound just amazing. With Chesters' screams and rock tone and Mikes' Hip-Hop vocals Linkin Park can sing about just about anything. // 10

Lyrics: One of the things I love about Hybrid Theory, and all Linkin Park albums to follow, had a message in EVERY song. Not just one or two for good measure and the rest just for fun, no every single song had a message. Something to inspire and really make you think when you listened to the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion Hybrid Theory was, and still is, one of the best albums Linkin Park made and possibly of all time. I can still throw it in and listen to every single song 1000 times and never get tired again. Like I said before every single song on this album is amazing and carries a message with it. This album has seen more play time then any other album I own and still sounds great... never skips, freezes up, or anything else like that. // 10

More Linkin Park reviews rating latest review