Meteora Review

linkin park: Meteora
Released: Mar 25, 2003
Genre: Nu Metal, Rap Metal, Alternative Metal, Alternative Rock
Label: Warner Bros.
Linkin Park showed once again how good you can mix different genres together and make a new, unmistakable sound out of them
 Lyrics: 7.4
 8.2
 7.6
 8.7
Meteora Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2004

Sound: I can see how this type of music can appeal to such a large crowd in the fact that they use rock music with all-too-popular rap styles, but quite frankley the sound is exactly the same as before (which sucked). I saw them preform live a week ago and they cant preform worth crap. They were touring with Story of the Year, Hoobastank, and P.O.D., none of which I like, but I must say that they all did better than Linkin Park. None of their members possess talent. There are WAY better DJ's out there than Mr. friggin Han who they talk about so much. Drumming isn't anyhting special. No double bass or anything my drummer couldn't do. The bass is nothing, you wouldn't notice a thing if they cut it out completely. And the guitars...each song is composed of no more than 5 chords, no innovative or experimental playing what so ever, and worst of all, NO SOLOS. Probably just because they suck too bad to do a legitament solo. The only skill they have is as a group they put all this crap (and I mean absolute crap) together to make a listenable song. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics...shouldn't be lyrics. They're just like the last album once again. "Shut up when I'm talking to you" is the basic underlying (and sometimes not so hidden) message of each and every song. It's like I'm listening to the exact thoughts that went through my head when I was 6 years old and people were talking when I wanted to have my say. Shallow and immature summs up every word to this album. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall it sucked balls. I'll admit they have like 2 songs on here, max, that are somewhat catchy, but nothing I couldn't produce in my own room with my own guitar. Lyrically, I make more intellegence with my ass than what was shown on this album. Now I know someone out there (probably quite a few people actually) will disagree with what I am saying here, but $10 says they dont know how to play an instrument of their own and have never written a song before, thus explaining why they think Linkin Park is so good...which they are not...they suck...balls. // 2

Meteora Reviewed by: will102387, on march 18, 2004

Sound: A little more heavier on the guitar, but slightly lighter vocals in parts. Comparing it to older stuff, its obvious the producer and label toned them down. There are various styles but I will admit it is a little formulaic, which isn't bad, but can dissappoint. It still defines itself as Linkin Park. Appropriate drum beats, techno vibe, guitar riffs fit style, TURN UP THE BASS!!!, and vocals are exceptional. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit toned down from the darker stuff found in older stuff. Again, looks like label and producer are up to no good. Comparing them to the HT EP lyrics, definitely watered down to be radio friendly. Lyrics can get cheesy at parts, especially in Somewhere I Belong. Strong lyrics in Figure .09, Lying From You, and Breaking the Habit. Other than that, lyrics are a little typical. Vocals for those songs also stand out a little more. Lyrics fit music though in all songs. Again, talent is toned down because of obvious label intrusion. (So many sophomore albums suffer because of that.) // 6

Overall Impression: Weaker than past material but still makes the cut. The music is listenable and does not become boring instantly. Figure .09, Lying from You, and Breaking the Habit are definitely the most impressive songs on the album. I love the fact that different blends of musical instrumentation is used in this album. I hated the fact that the album couldn't have been better, it seems that it was held back from achieving a certain potential as Hybrid Theory did. I'm a hardcore Linkin Park fan so I would buy this cd if i lost it, but as for the average listener, depends whether you digged it or not. It was worth the price I paid for it, $12 something. Definitely not a classic and probably the worst Linkin Park could probably put out, as it doesn't match up to lyrics and originality as the Hybrid Theory EP and LP. It's an average album. (Side note: Meteora was definitely watered down because of the label and producer, evidence is taken from Making of Meteora DVD. Don Gilmore states how he wanted the music to have replaybility, thus you must make weaker music for everyone to enjoy. Unfortunately no one listens to complex music anymore so you definitely would not sell as well. Choosing Don Gilmore as a producer was a huge mistake by Linkin Park.) Meteora suffers from holding back talent, its a shame. // 6

Meteora Reviewed by: gapofit, on june 08, 2004

Sound: Well, we all know with Chester's voice, that it is a great deep sound. Very hard metal sound, yet at the same time it crawls with the teenage angst our generation craves. The screams can be a little much at times, but hey, that is Linkin Park. The sound has definitely matured, and the producer is a genius. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really captured me on this album. All of the songs I can listen to it seems like all day long. When I first got the album at Christmas, it was all that I listened to for days. "I'd get lost in the nothingness inside of me." Who writes that? Also, on the DVD that came with it (if you got that version), it shows how they worked on getting the lyrics to fit right with each song, and you can tell it does. Linkin Park is Linkin Park for their unmistakable lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing this to their first album, it is better. The haunting melodies, macabre lyrics, transition from song to song, and Chester's piercing screams make this album a smash. Some of the songs I am thouroughly impressed with are (if I must choose) "Easier to Run," "From The Inside," and "Lying From You" would have to be my top 3. "Numb" follows close behind though. I would definitely buy it again if it was to become lost or stolen. // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: dark_falco3000, on january 26, 2007

Sound: I'm going to be completely honest here. Now, I'm a pretty big Linkin Park band, and they're in my top 6 bands (of which neither is first or last, they're all equal). But this album isn't their best, it's good, but not great. It's basically Hybrid Theory II. It's basically the same thing, just slightly different. And I'm glad to hear that apparently they're going for a completely new style, because really, I'm starting to get sick of listening to the same thing over and over again. That's not to say this album is bad, it just means that it's repetitive. I have 2 main problems with this band... I can never hear the bass, and the guitarist is so unoriginal it hurts. I thought he was awesome at first, when I first picked up a guitar I was like, "how am I ever gonna be able to play like that?". Six months later, I got the tabs and mastered all of Meteora and Hybrid Theory. So at six months of playing, I was able to match the supposed skill of Brad Delson, someone who's been guitaring for at least 10 years. But drummer can keep a beat, doesn't sound too amazing but not bad either, DJ isn't really my thing but Linkin Park wouldn't be the same without Joe, Chester is an amazing vocalist who sings both calm and melodically, or harsh and loud, with some screaming (which earns big points with me). Rap isn't my thing either, but Mike is actually good, unlike shit like 50 Cent and all the other people like that, that's not music. Overall, the sound of this album is good, but the guitarist needs more originality, they need to make their songs sound different and turn up the bloody bass for crying out loud. What the hell. // 6

Lyrics: I've always liked Linkin Park's lyrics. Please don't kill me for saying that. Unfortunately, it's the same thing over and over again. But Chester has amazing Vocal skills and Mike is probably the best rapper I've heard, solely because he's not like all the other rappers who only sing about sex and parties and getting drunk and stuff. Also he actually sounds different from the other rappers, who, if you listen closely, all sound the same. Overall, good but kinda repetitive lyrics, and awesome vocals, both singing and rapping. // 9

Overall Impression: In this section I'll break it up into individual songs. 01. Forward - just an intro. Main thing about this song is that it leads right into the next song. I reckon that was a pretty good idea. 02. Don't Stay - not a bad first song. Pretty heavy guitar, unfortunately all of it is powerchords and octaves. Aside from that, this is one of my favourites. 03. Somewhere I Belong - just about everybody knows this song. This is actually one of my least favourites on the verse, it gets pretty dull. But it's ok to listen to every now and then. OMG the guitarist did something other than Powerchords/Octaves in the verse! Still needs more skill. 04. Lying From You - one of my favourites. At first I didn't think that it was gonna be good because the intro was kinda odd, but then the guitars came in. Pretty good intro riff. Unfortunately, it's all powerchords. Then in the verse, you have the intro in the background, a couple of powerchords and a suspended chord every now and then and also Mike rapping. This mixes really well, especially when Chester comes in every now and then with his singing. In the chorus, Brad plays a few powerchords followed by a couple of octaves, and during the octaves Mike raps "No, no turning back now" everytime, which I think is a real good effect to the song, whilst chester sings in the bit with powerchords. The bridge is the intro guitar riff played a couple of times, with Mike rapping and occasionally Chester screaming. In my opinion, this song shows how linkin park fits so well together. Mike and Chester coordinate their singing and rapping to Brad's guitaring, and while by itself the effects intro isn't that great, when in the background of the verses it's excellent. 05. Hit The Floor - not one of my favourites. It's the same thing over and over again. Mike doesn't sound too good with the bouncy hip-hop style verses, he's better with just plain rap. Chester's screaming is the only thing that saves this song from been completely horrible. Brad is even more repetitive in this song, repeating the same powerchords even more frequently than usual. 06. Easier To Run - this song has always been one of my favourites on this disc. Brad does an intro done in natural harmonics with a clean guitar. I had a look at a tab for this song and the tuning is very different from other songs. This is Brad at his most original. You can actually hear Phoenix in this song, though only when Brad is playing the harmonics with the clean guitar. Chesters singing, as usual, does an amazing transition from soft to harsh. Mike's rapping is the perfect sound for the pre-chorus, and when Chester joins him with singing the same note, it adds a great calming effect, which leads straight into the chorus with Chester's harsh vocals. At the bridge they make it sound extremely emotional, and of all the songs on this album, I'd say this one moves me the most. An awesome song. 07. Faint - if I can remember right, this is the fastest song on the disc. The format is similar to Lying from You. A not so great intro, a guitar riff consisting of powerchords and a second guitar with octaves, Mike rapping in the verses with the intro sounding much better in the background with the occasional powerchord, Chester with his harsh screaming in the chorus, second verse, chorus, bridge that has yelling and an impressive sounding guitar riff which isn't impressive at all as it's made solely of powerchords, and finally chorus. 08. Figure.09 - I don't get the name, but the song itself isn't bad. Intro done with single notes, then moves into powerchords and octaves. This sounds pretty heavy compared to the rest of the album. Mike rapping in the verses as usual, with, someone whispering just before the chorus, and of course, Chester's harsh singing in the Chorus. The bridge is the best part of this song, in my opinion. It has mike rapping with Chester finishing each of his sentences by screaming. I love the sound. Aside from that, sounds the same as the rest of the album except a bit heavier. 09. Breaking The Habit - this song is done mainly with effects with some piano and strings in the background. There's not much to say about this song, I like it, but I'm not a huge effects liking guy. I like what they did with it though, and Mike did a good job with the lyrics. Aside from that, I really have no opinion on this song so I'll just go to the next one. 10. From The Inside - I like this song, but there's just one thing that annoys me about it. It has almost the exact same chord progression as Faint. Faint: C#5, E5, A5, F#5, G#5, E5. From the Inside: C#5, E5, A5, F#5, G#5. Aside from this little fact, I like the song. Instead of the overused verse rapping, it's mainly singing in the verse with a light clean guitar (w/o powerchords) in the background. Mike's rapping in the pre-chorus sounds calming, as does Chester in the verse, and, of course, harsh singing in the chorus, Screaming in the bridge, same old stuff, y'know? 11. Nobody's Listening - the thing I have to say about this song is that it's good that they attempted at making a song that doesn't sound the same. This is a good attempt, with a flute loop in the background. Unfortunately, in this song Mike loses what separates him from other rappers for most of the song, Soul. "Raps that got you backing this up like rewind that"? No... just no. Very little guitar, and I'm not going to criticize Brad for only using powerchords in the song because there isn't much else he could do. This song wasn't about the guitars, it was about being separate from the rest of the songs on this album. Lyrics could be so much better though. 12. Session - not bad for one of their instrumental songs, better than technique, but not as good as Cure for the Itch or A06. It's about equal to Cure for the Itch's remix. Mainly drum beats with effects in the background and the turntables and other stuff that I usually don't care about. Not too bad though. 13. Numb - ever heard Crawling, on Hybrid Theory? If so, there's no need to hear this song. This is the same song in a different key. Now, let's look at the main chord progression. Crawling: C#5, A5, E5, B5. Numb: F#5, D5, A5, E5. If you look at it, in both songs, the second powerchord in both songs is exactly 1 minor sixth higher than the first, the third is 1 minor third higher than the first and the last is one minor 7th higher than the first. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the pre-chorus is the same as each other as well (in differnet keys). As far as I can remember, Crawling has no bridge, so it can't be compared. Now, let's look at the styles of playing/singing. Effects at the start sound almost exactly the same, just slightly different notes and sound, they are the main foundation of this song, played all throughout. Then it kicks into the chorus for Crawling, and just the riff for Numb. Now, let's have a look at the verse. In Crawling, light singing. In numb, light singing. The prechorus, in crawling, there's a line of Chester then a line of Mike then a line of Chester. In Numb, it's the same, just swapped around. Then, harsh singing in the chorus for both songs. Now, afterward Numb has a bridge, unlike Crawling. Then at the end, they repeat what seems to be the most important lines. "I've become so numb," "Confusing what is real" with bits taken from the verse. These songs are probably two of the most well known songs by linkin park. I'm not saying their bad, but they could have completely ommited numb and just re-released Crawling with a bridge and it wouldn't have made a difference to me. I like both songs though, don't get me wrong. They could have at least varied them a bit. Now, in conclusion, slightly repetitive though still a good sound, the band make a good mix. All they need to do is get Brad some "how to play guitar" books and DVDs, and learn where the volume control (or power button) on Phoenix's amp is, and they'll be near perfect. This may not have been the best review, but in truth, I think linkin park rock, and if you hate them, well why the hell are you reading reviews for the band? What the hell, go to bands you actually like. If I were to lose this album, I'd make another copy using Windows Media Player, as they're all saved on my computer. I wouldn't waste my money on another copy though, not when there's so many other albums I want. I put a lot of work into this review and if it doesn't get accepted I'm going to go on a random killing spree. // 8

Meteora Reviewed by: playgtr055, on june 17, 2004

Sound: Linkin Park is one of the best alternative bands there are today. They even manage to throw some rap in with it and mix the two together to make for some badass music. Meteora is definately the best album so far we have heard from them. I liked all the songs on the album. The only song I didn't really like was Session which is an instrumental song. Then again I hate music without lyrics. It just seems really boring to me. Great album otherwise. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. The lead singer, Chester Bennington, has an amazing voice. I mean the guy stays in pitch when he screams. This band sounded great live. I couldnt tell the difference between live and album at first I thought they were lip syncing. I think I spelled that right. Mike Shinoda brings up some rap vocals too. I hate rap but this guy can really mix it up with rock. Plus he plays guitar in the song Faint and Somewhere I Belong so he's number 1 in my book. // 10

Overall Impression: This album definately blew Hybrid Theory out of the water and Hybrid Theory kicked ass. The songs rocked and rapped alittle bit. I would defintely go back and buy it again if it were stolen. Go buy it. Do not make copies of it or download the songs. // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: |<guitarhero>|, on april 30, 2007

Sound: This is one of my all-time favorites not just by LP but by anybody. I like the mixture of digital effects and soft vocals with power chords and hard rock vocals in the choruses.I don't know what Meteora means. This is the LP album I've always loved, I love everything about this album. This is one of the greats of the many rap-rock albums made in the early 2000's. I am anxious to see how Minutes to Midnight (LP's new album) turns out compared to Meteora. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are my favorite of any band. The lyrics sometimes appear to have an obvious meaning but then turn out to have a hidden meaning. The lyrics are in perfect harmony with the band. The lrics are also very clever in my opinion. Chester (LP's singer) has always been one of my favorite singers. He can sing soft verses, hard choruses, and even some rap. He is one of the best singers of any genre right now I believe. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my most favorite albums of any genre, any time. My impression is that it has an urban, metal sound to it. It's more leaning towards rock than Hybrid Theory was. Nonetheless, Meteora still has rap in it's verses. My favorite songs on Meteora are Somewhere I Belong, Numb, Breaking The Habit, and Faint. I love the overall sound of the rock-rap mixture. Some bands (cough, Limp Bizkit, cough) are just not good at mixing rock and rap. But Linkin Park has created a new sound that you know is LP right when you hear it. // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: Peterjs, on july 22, 2005

Sound: This CD, I thought, gave a lot of new musical innovation than the band's former album (Hybrid Theory). They use make-shift turn tables along with a traditional rock band format (electric, bass, and drums) and throw in some rap to make this CD unique. The difference between Hybrid Theory and Meteora was that they tried to broaden their music by putting in softer tones and guitar parts along with their usual hard intense rock. They used a lot more synthesizing (turn-tables and a sound board) to incorporate musical tastes of rap and rock. Some things about this album were slightly repetitive, though. Guitar parts were simply barre chords in different pattern than before. The bassist fallowed lead also just like Hybrid Theory, when really, bassist should incorporate its beats with the drums. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics from the main vocalist sound much like the emo genre of music. The words are about being mad or sad, when his life probably is a step above everyone else's. They're probably based on former experiences. They are still a little dry. If you are into hard rock, his screaming is like none other and makes up for his mediocre lyrics. The rapper, on the other hand, is extremely talented. His rhythm and rhyme go together better than most rap artists. He makes the band what it is. // 8

Overall Impression: If you consider this an emo band, then they have done better the most other bands in their genre. If you don't consider them emo (like me) then you find that they're an extremely unique band. The album Meteora is just them making the same music, but trying to add in things here and there for new tastes in their music. If you really want something to base your favorite band on, their consistent style is it. If you want to thrash this band, like I see people doing all the time, then your close mided, pig-headedness perceives you. // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 11, 2004

Sound: Clearly, they did not spend a whole lot of time working on the music. You wanna know why? The music sounds the same. Hearing the same song 13 times in a row gets kind of annoying. And what in the hell are those headphones for that the guitar player wears? So someone backstage can tell him when to change chords? If so, he really doesn't need them because the guy only knows, what, 4 or 5 chords? // 2

Lyrics: As established above, all Linkin Park did to make this album sound "new" was just put a few more scratches in and add different lyrics. And plus, how many times must they use the word "pain"? Half the lyrics are dominated by that word. Apparently, these guys also suck at writing lyrics too. They have no clue how to add voice and depth to a song. Speaking of voice, what is it with the lead singer? He sounds bad enough on the recordings, and he's even worse live. And that rapper guy sucks too. He doesn't even rap. He sounds like he's talking with a monotone. // 2

Overall Impression: "New album", my ass. I used to be so dedicated to Linkin Park, and now, everytime I so much as hear their name, I regret more and more liking them as much as I did. The major keys to being a successful musician are confidence, talent, originality, presence, and attitude, all of which Linkin Park lack. They wrote 80 songs for ONE ALBUM. Their lead singer sings off key, a lot. Their guitar player uses the same chords over and over again. They don't have a heavy, arena-filling, "ominous" presentation when they TRY to perform live. And they are whiny pricks. Example, the lead singer was "insulted" by Meteora's Grammy nomination for the instrumental "Session". What, is it because he's not in the studio torturing our eardrums? Hey, asshole, at least the CD somehow managed to be nominated for something. I hope that's a message to these guys to give it up. Okay, I'm just gonna get to the point now. This album sucked. Sucked, sucked, sucked. The only good songs are Numb and Somewhere I Belong. If I lost it, I would be so unbelievably happy. And if someone stole, I wouldn't care. Their brain cells would be the ones dying faster. What this all comes down to is Linkin Park "tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter". That song is a self-fulfilling prophecy made by the band. If they're not gone by 2005, I will be very surprised. // 2

Meteora Reviewed by: illdietryn, on march 15, 2004

Sound: You know, I've read and reread the reviews on here. And you know, for a while I've tried to defend the band. I've given up on that. You know, I really liked the band when they came out with Hybrid Theory. They had a sound to them I really hadn't heard anywhere. But they sound way tooo tooo perfect on the album, from all the damn tweaking they do in the studio to get that sound....it's too bad they can't mock that sound on stage, it might give them a few more points. Because after I saw them live with Hoobastank, POD, and SOTY my opinion changed of them totally. And it also changed when this album came out. IT HAS THE SAME SOUND OF HYBRID THEORY! Tell me that's not sad. They have the same sound, they have the same 5 chords, same riff changes. I began to grow sour when I learned how to play the songs "Faint," and "From The Inside," both from their new album. You know what's sad, is how easy these songs are, but besides that, THEY USE THE SAME CHORDS JUST PLAYED DIFFERENTLY. That, there my, friends, is sad. I rest my case. // 4

Lyrics: You know, I was sort of impressed with the lyrics. Sike. It was the same thing over and over again. Everything is about the same thing. It doesn't hurt to show your opinion on other things. I will point out the crappyness of the lyrics. Take their first single, "Somewhere I Belong," for instance. "I want to heal, I want to feel, Like I'm close to something real." Wow, great talent. You rhymed the words heal, feel, and real. I can rhyme the words, rick, dick and stick, I think I'll go use the formula to go and make a top 40's hit. That's all they tried to do for this album I think, is make top 40 hits with the same formula that launched them from Hybrid Theory. You know, some of it holds some strength to it, like maybe their tracks, "Numb" or "Breaking The Habit," but you know you could just listen to their Hybrid Theory album and hear the exact same things almost. It's almost kinda funny when you think about it, I mean how many times can you say the same thing over and over? Somethings going to have to change or else these guys won't be around much longer. // 6

Overall Impression: You know, I've tried to give them credit for some of their work. Some of it is OK. I'll admit it. I used to really dig these guys, really liked them. But you know what? You want to see these guys live? Don't waste the money. Buy their "Live in Texas" CD. You'll get their show just as it is live. Sad isn't it? My main problem is they stuck to the same formula from their past album. Sure, their last album sold. It sold a lot. But you can't stick to the same formula's over and over again...it just shows how talentless you are. Being a musician means pushing it past that threshold to make something different, something new, while maintaining that sound that people like you for. Now that doesn't mean remix your songs again. Which they already had done with their "Reanimation" release. That's kinda funny. They re-remixed their songs basically. At least in my opinion. If I lost this CD, I'd burn it. If I wanted to see this band live again, I'd burn their "Live in Texas" CD. In my opinion, burn it. Download it. Don't buy it. Not unless you like the talentless represented on this album. I mean, I used to be a real big fan of these guys. But you know, if something doesn't change for the third album, then my opinion will be set in stone that these guys really suck. // 6

Meteora Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2005

Sound: Sound is great, I have to say, the band mixes rock with turntables and beats. With a bit of rap too. Bit like the first album but it's still a great sound. The guitarist uses a lot of pedals to get the effects but please. Turn up the bass. You can't hear it very good. Yeah, but it sounds great even if you can't tell whose playing what. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty repetitive, and gets really annoying. They seem to be toned down from the first album and when the rapper starts its sounds like he needs some red bull or something. The lead singers pretty good the screaming can be annoying tho. If you listen cloesly it has emo touches and is slightly nasally. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I think they've pulled off a good album even for some of the bad parts. 01. Foreword - can't really say, its 13 seconds long and is just an intro, but it blends in good with the next song. 02. Don't Stay - pretty good, good be more inventive with the guitar 7/10. 03. Somewhere I Belong - best lyrics on the album I say, musics kinda dull during the verses, but the chorus is pretty good 8/10. 04. Lyin' From You - I think its a better guitar part than most of their other stuff. But it sounds a bit like a mix of Papercut and Points Of Authority. Lyrics are good, the way it's mixed, is okay but the bridge could have been better 8/10. 05. Hit The Floor - not a good song really, chorus is okay with the mix of screams and rapping. But there are too many effects 6/10. 06. Easier To Run - this is an okay lyrical song, music not so good, the guitarist has to find new riffs 7/10. 07. Faint - I like this one, the rapping in the verses is nice, but I don't like the strings in it. The chorus is great and so is the bridge. Drummer actually sounds good in this one 9/10. 08. Figure 09 - not a bad song, intro is kool with what I think is tapping with distortion. Verses are good sounding, bridge is okay, lyrics suck again tho 8/10. 09. Breaking The Habit - 2nd best lyrics. Nice touch with strings. Overall great song 10/10. 10. From The Inside - I like intro, verses are nice, whole songs okay tho. Nothing great, but it isn't bad 8/10. 11. Nobody's Listening - worst song, the rap touches were good in the other songs, but this whole song is basically rap with the beats and rapping verses and chorus. Hate this one 3/10. 12. Session - it's okay, nice instrumental 7/10. 13. Numb - good song, on radio alot. Lyrics are as good as LP can make em. Guitar is good touch even tho it isnt played as a lead part really, just punctuating the chorus. Song is great 9/10. Numb was a nice ending to the album. I've heard people say they sound the same. Yeah LP does, but whenever a Slipknot fan tells me that I wanna punch him. It's a great album if you haven't heard the 1st one, not as good as it could be tho. // 9

Meteora Reviewed by: Uzi, on november 28, 2005

Sound: I bought this 2 years ago. That was before I was introduced to better music. I was a fan since Hybrid Theory. I was young. They are a poser band. You can tell by watching their documentaries or something like that. LPTV. They talk like they know everything but they dont know anything. The whole album is pretentious. Hybrid Theory and Reanimation was OK. Meteora is totally pretentious. They talk like they started this music style. Limp Bizkit did the same style but came out before them. I remember going to their website once, before Meteora came out. And there was some music played on the intro page and it sounded exactly like a deftones riff. Ok, enough about them. Now, about the album. I cant believe they took such a long time to come up with this. They try to make it look different from their first album by adding the intro track so that they could have 13 tracks instead of 12. But the concept is the same. One catchy starting song, Don't Stay = Papercut. One instrumental song, Session = Cure For The Itch. The first single is the second song, Somewhere I Belong = One Step Closer. If you listen properly, you'll notice that the weird noise from Somewhere I Belong sounds like the intro riff for One Step Closer. If you watch their videos, you'll see Mike Shinoda playing the guitar when he's not singing just to show that he can play guitar. But he plays the same thing that the other guy is playing. I'm giving it a 3 cause its repetitive. It's just power chords or barre chords and a few riffs all the way. Just like Hybrid Theory. // 3

Lyrics: Chester can't sing. You should watch them live. When they're live, he sings like a girl. But with the help of today's technology, all you need is good looks and a band, and you can be famous. Studio magic will handle the rest. There's nothing special about their lyrics. Its all the same stuff they always sing about in their first album. Boring. But I'm giving it a 6 for making many rhymes that goes with the music. // 6

Overall Impression: If you're like me, you wont like it. It is almost exactly the same as Hybrid Theory but they add a few weird noise to make it look original. If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again. I gave all my LP cds to my brother already. This band has no talent. Really. All the tracks sound so familiar. You have to admit this is the worst Linkin Park album ever. Don't let people buy this album after reading your glowing review. Be honest. Maybe some people will like this. Those who are really new and never heard any better music. // 5

Meteora Reviewed by: ice princess, on january 11, 2006

Sound: In this latest CD of Linkin Park I find that it's one of their greatest ones yet. In this album they mix the songs tigether making it seem to the listners as if it were one huge song, that is if you're listening to the disc for the first time. The lyrics in this CD are more deep yet still maintain their style and the rap music is still there. The first impression I got when I first listened to the CD was the very subtle difference between songs. I'm a huge fan of Linkin Park, but I still prefer Hybrid Theory over Meteora. But the art and graffiti illustrated on both the cover of the album and on the disc itself is amazing. In the disc, there's a sort of DVD encoding which allows you to see the video for Somewhere I Belong, it also allows you to see how the graffiti art on the cover was made and by who, and the c. d also includes a link towards the Linkin Park Underground Fan Site. This site, I find, is just was Linkin Park fans want. It has everything from specials on the next Linkin Park concert, to sells on T-shirts and what nots. Overall I believe that the sound in this latest album released by Linkin Park is done increadably well and any who are fans of Linkin Park or simply wish to try something new for a change will enjoy this CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Meteora still follow their usual style but this time around they've also added a new style. It's more so rap and Chester sings in the backround and chorus. It's only one song but the song will catch you of guard since it's not usually what you're used to hearing from them. The lyrics and the music seem to mold themselves to each other in perfect sequance and I find that some of us can relate to some of the songs in the CD Chester and Mike, I find, have improved on their singing and make the disc sound even better than what some of us who had bought the Hybrid Theory CD think. Overall I think that the lyrics, although they follow their same writing style, is written in such a way that it makes you concentrate more on what they're saying than just the rhythm of the song alone. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of Meteora is that I just love the CD. This CD just can't compare to anything else, that's how amazing I find it to be. I just find that I can relate to some of the songs, like Easier To Run, or Faint, or Numb. But all things have their faults, no? I still find that the song in which Mike sings most of the song in rap/verse is sort of boring. Maybe if they had changed the rythem of the song maybe I wouldn't find it so dull but other than that I find the CD to be one of my favorites. And if it were stolen/lost I'd definately buy it again and find the guy who stole it from me in the first place and kill him. But that's just me talking here. Overall I would definately recomend anyone to buy this CD, fan or not. // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 04, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is all-around, just a little cookie-cutter, but I have to say Meteora is much better than Hybrid Theory when you compare the musical stylings put into both albums. Nu-metal is dying a slow death, but Linkin Park seems to survive. Come on, that has to prove something. They don't make any innovations with this album, but you have to think about what would happen if they did. The album wouldn't be as fun to listen to, and you've gotta realize that music is all about making you happy, not proving that you can do 300 guitar tricks. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are vague. But when you think about it, that's what makes this album better than Hybrid Theory. Hybrid Theory is an angst-out. This album is vague to the point where I can make it about anything my little heart desires. The song "Somewhere I Belong" is really the only exception to that rule; otherwise, the reasoning behind the songs and why they are angry/sad/confused is all up to you. The music helps you decide what it's about, because it's almost as vague as the lyrics. Chester Bennington is a good singer. He is proficient in the same way Sonny Moore is proficient; they both have really weird voices considering their gender, but they both sound better than you would singing weird. However, Mike Shinoda rapping is a hilarity; he's a nerdy Asian guy who shouldn't rap unless he wants to get laughed at. // 8

Overall Impression: Linkin Park makes other nu-metal artists look silly. However, they do it with such proficiency not because they are talented, but because they have done the same thing so many times. The top 3 songs off of this album are Somewhere I Belong, Hit The Floor, and Session. The thing that I love and the thing that I hate are exactly the same thing: the predictability. If this album were lost or stolen, I would burn a new copy, because I have it loaded into this computer. To put it this way, it is a solidly good album, but an idiot punk rocker with a pink mohawk should buy something else. // 9

Meteora Reviewed by: Oldreich87, on june 20, 2008

Sound: This album is amazing and probably the best Linkin Park album out there. The best part of this album is definetly how Chester and Mike sing together in the songs, like Hit The Floor and Lying From You for example. The songs have far exceeded my expectations because every song on Meteora is full of energy. The way that Mike and Chester sing together really makes this album sound great. With that combination, Linkin Park sounds incredibly good! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were also pretty good. There was no pointless swearing in this album which is a good thing. The lyrics fit the songs well but at some points they don't make sense to me. In my opinion the song with the best lyrics is definetly Lying From You. Lying From You is an amazing song with really good lyrics that fit the song well. Overall the lyrics were pretty good but a little weird in some songs. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, meteora has far exceeded my expectations. I think Meteora is probably the best album that Linkin Park has ever made. The only thing that I wasn't so crazy about was the song called Session. It was just an insrumental that I don't really pay attention to. The most amazing songs off of Meteora are Don't Stay, Faint, Figure.09, Lying From You, Numb, and Breaking The Habit, so pretty much the whole album. Everything about this album was great and I have nothing bad to say about it. There is no way I would buy something else if this CD was lost or stolen. I would be looking for it like crazy. So should you buy it? Of course you should! // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: a55a551n1191, on july 24, 2009

Sound: Well this album uses pretty much the same formula as Hybrid Theory but just a little heavier but much more experimental which I like. Brad is using pretty much the same technique: power chords and octaves except for a few songs. Rob sounds alright but nothing special except in "Faint". Phoenix NEEDS to turn up the bass though, I mean Jesus, what is the point him being there if he's not going to make an audible contribution. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics here are much better than HT, for instance "Breaking The Habit" which is about drugs. Chester and Mike work together much better in this album. A perfect example would be at the bridge of "Figure.09". Numb also has very good lyrics but I'm not too sure about the video. Chester is more in this album. A few of the verses he fronts and Mike supports. It's hard to explain but if you listen to HT then Meteora you'll notice that Chester sings a lot more. // 10

Overall Impression: I am now going to review each song seperately: 01.Foreword: kind of pointless but leads nicely into track 2. 02.Don't Stay: heavy and lots of scratching, nice vocals and probably the first song to have no vocals from Mike. 9/10 03.Somewhere I Belong: a very well known song and I like it. I particularly like the guitar in the bridge because of the slides. 9/10 04.Lying From You: this song is amazing. Even though Brad uses power chords (again) they are actually good. 10/10 05.Hit The Floor: second worst track on the album. Kind of annoying really, especially the verse. Could be much better. 4/10 06.Easier to Run: very good and emotional. Mike's rap works really well and Chester is very good. 7/10 07.Faint: very fast and quite catchy. In the chorus it's quite hard to understand what Chester says in the "time won't heal" part. Brilliant nonetheless. 10/10 08.Figure.09: best song on the album. Hands down. Heavy and aggressive, Mike and Chester co-operate brilliantly here on the bridge. 09.Breaking The Habit: heavily electronica influenced. Good vocal delivery and the best lyrics of the album. 9/10 10.From the Inside: good song, similar to Easier to run though. 8/10 11.Nobody's Listening: different but aweful. Chester's harsh singing in the chorus does not fit in with the flute and hip-hop style verses. Worst song on the album. 2/10 12.Session: my 2nd favourite LP instrumental after Wake. I particularly like the drums in this. 7/10 13.Numb: I used to love this song but not so much now. It is still brilliant, similar to Pushing Me Away and Crawling though. 9/10. // 10

Meteora Reviewed by: ThrashUnleashed, on may 30, 2011

Sound: This being Linkin Park's second album, it definetly brought more Alternative Rock to the table, but the Rap/Nu Metal was anything but lost or forgotten. Compared to "Hybrid Theory", this album definetly showed some more effort; both in writing and recording. The guitar work in the album is definetly mentionable, but the spotlight for this album seems to be on Joe Hahn. In songs like "Lying From You" and "Nobody's Listening", his turntabling and sampling are, for me, the highlights. Another exceptional component to "Meteora" was an improved blend between Mike and Chester. They definetly were at their best at mixing Chester's singing and Mike's rapping on this record. // 10

Lyrics: I was very pleased with both Chester and Mike's lyrics on "Meteora", but I think Mike stood out more. His parts, particularly "Hit The Floor" and "Nobody's Listening", are very memorable. Meanwhile, I think Chester could have worked on his non-screaming parts. His screaming was satisfactory, and his singing was only average. Not to say it was bad, but it needed a lot of improvement to measure up to Mike on this album. From an overall standpoint, the lyrics in this record are great. Full of depth, feeling and emotion; but not losing the feel of the Rap Metal. The lyrics will stick in your head and make you want to sing along, but also make you really think. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I would consider this Linkin Park's best album, all things considered. Although they did experiment with very different genres later, it definetly had the best effort. Definetly stand out performance comes from Joe Hahn. Some of the best songs are definetly "Nobody's Listening", "Hit The Floor", and "Faint". They blend Mike and Chester's styles well, and have great instrumental parts. Definelty the first LP album you should buy, and a must have if a fan of the band. // 9

Meteora Reviewed by: LPGuitarFreak, on may 16, 2012

Sound: This is the 2nd Album of Linkin Park after their fantastic and best selling debut record "Hybrid Theory". This Album continues Linkin Park at it's best: Nu-Metal. It doesn't have any really big new aspects to it, but it delivers the true sound of Linkin Park and combines elements from different genres like Rock, Metal and Rap. To describe the Sound of the Album in it's complete pride, I will review every track for itself. 01. Foreword - Just a 13-second Intro with a few bangs that leads into the real starter, "Don't Stay". 02. "Don't Stay" - This is a real bang into the album. A really cool heavy guitar riff and the first excellent performance by Chester Bennington make you listen and want more. The only thing I don't like about it is that Mike almost isn't there on it. 03. "Somewhere I Belong" - This is a fantastic song. The verse rapping of Mike is just perfect on this one and he shows what makes him such a good rapper: Soul and strong lyrics. The Chorus fits in with the emotional verse rapping of Mike, and Chester found the perfect way to make it sound heavy and energetic, but at the same time emotional and meaningful. The instrumental of the song is also really cool, I like the interesting intro and the strong chorus with soft bassy verses. 04. "Lying From You" - Real heavy rap/rock mix. Lots of cool riffs and strong lyrics in the chorus, but I think Mike's verse rapping is a little flat on this one. Overall, not a bad song by any means though. 05. "Hit The Floor" - I don't really listen too often to this song, just because it isn't one of my favorites. I like the riff by Brad that continues through the whole song, but for me there's to much rap in it, it's just not the perfect mix that Linkin Park usually delivers. 06. "Easier To Run" - This is a really emotional and natural song. The Lyrics are great and Chester does a great job together with Mike, who delivers really cool lines on this one. I don't listen to it too often, just because I think it's a little too slow. 07. "Faint" - I love this high-paced song with 135 BPM. Really really cool guitar riffs in the chorus and bridge, awesome verse rapping by Mike and Chester with one of his best performances make this song a 10! 08. "Figure" - Don't know what the hell the title means, but anyway this song is very cool. I especially like the tapped harmonic Intro and the heavy bridge. Mike's verse rapping is good, but not great on this one and Chester, as always, does an amazing job. This contains one of the best vocal team parts by Mike and Chester, just listen to that awesome bridge. 09. "Breaking The Habit" - Another awesome song. This one is actually not heavy at all, it is very different than most of the album, and has more electronic elements to it. The lyrics are great by itself and strong in it's meaning, which describes Chester's past in drugs. Speaking of Chester, he is the only vocalist on this track, but I think it is good that way because rapping really wouldn't fit on this one, and the lyrics are designed for Chester. 10. "From The Inside" - Heavy song, with emotional verses with a good combination of rapping and soft vocals by Chester. I personally like the emotion on this one that is displayed by a cool verse melody. Another part I like is the very cool, straccato-powerchord-like bridge. 11. "Nobody's Listening" - Not one of my favorites. Like "Hit The Floor", there's to much rap in here that ruins the mix. On top of that, the mood that is displayed by a Japanese flute is interesting and different than the rest of the album, but I don't really like it. 12. "Session" - A cool instrumental song. This stands for the electronic elements of Linkin Park and for that it's really cool, but you can not really call it a full band song. But overall I like the melodies and mood it is creating. 13. "Numb" - What a fantastic song. I like everything about this song, the perfect performance by Chester in the verses and the handsdown amazing hook line and also Mike's little fill ins here and there that makes you remember that there are 2 vocalists. Also the more melodic quiet verses just bang into the distorted hook and every time I hear it, it makes me strong, too. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are, in general, amazing. There are deep in their meaning and strong at once. The only thing that is not that good is that the verse rapping of Mike just feels repetitive after a while on a few songs. But overall, they did an amazing job on their papers. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, this album does not deliver any real new stuff to the sound of Linkin Park. But once again, those guys showed us how good you can mix different genres together and make a new, unmistakable sound out of them. I really like this album and the band and I think they did a great job with this album, although overall it cannot reach the same level than "Hybrid Theory". // 9

More Linkin Park reviews rating latest review