Minutes To Midnight Review

linkin park: Minutes To Midnight
Release Date: May 15, 2007
Label: Warner Brothers
Genres: Alternative Rock, Nu-Metal
Linkin Park explores its sentimental side with mixed results on its latest record "Minutes To Midnight".
 Lyrics: 7.8
 7.4
 7.5
 7.2
Minutes To Midnight Featured review by: UG Team, on may 16, 2007

Sound: Linkin Park has gone in a very interesting direction - a mellower one - on its latest record "Minutes To Midnight", and the album tends to feel a bit too radio-friendly at times because of it. This is not to say the band set out to make an album of pop-rock songs, but there is not a lot new that is brought to the table this time around. While frontman Chester Bennington has never sounded better vocally, the ballads that do the most justice to his voice also slow the momentum down a bit too much on the highly anticipated record.

At the CD's opening, there is a slowly building synthesized intro called "Wake" that quietly (you can hardly hear it for the first half) creates a mood. When the intro cuts off and leads into the first vocal song, "Given Up", it doesn't quite explode with enough energy or originality. There is some interesting percussion at the start of "Given Up", in which the band seems to mix a basic hand clap with reindeer bells. The guitars are used minimally in the verses, with the bass, drums, and vocals taking over. Not much seems to happen throughout most of it, until there is a breakdown about halfway through, injecting a much-needed dose of metal into it.

"Bleed It Out" is the first track on the CD that introduces Mike Shinoda's rapping into the mix, and it thankfully livens things up a bit. There aren't a lot of changes in the musical format along the way and it almost has a party-like vibe, but the energy behind the performances on "Bleed It Out" makes it a worthwhile listen. Because there are so many ballads on "Minutes To Midnight", just hearing Shinoda rap breaks things up a bit.

It does feel like a more sensitive side of Linkin Park is being explored, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a different turn. But a slower-tempo track like "Leave Out All The Rest" still is in desperate need of a big dose of passion. It has almost a generic feel and the band is capable of much more. "Shadow Of The Day" is a ballad that suffers from the same problem, and it slows down all the progress that was made on the track right before it ("Bleed It Out"). "Shadow" does include some very cool synth effects underneath, but the track could still use a bit more. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely one of the strongest points on the new CD. As usual, Mike Shinoda's rapped lyrics are clever and stand out on their own. In "Bleed It Out" Shinoda raps, "With a shovel up out to reach somewhere; Yeah, someone pour it in; Make it a dirt dance floor again; Say your prayers and stomp it out." Some listeners might not call it poetry, but Shinoda still makes things a bit more interesting.

There is a lot of inner turmoil and relationship talk found in the lyrics as well, and it's probably safe to assume it's coming from personal experience (Bennington went through a divorce since Linkin Park's last album was released). In "Shadow Of The Day" he sings, "I close both locks below the window; I close both blinds and turn away; Sometimes solutions aren't so simple; Sometimes goodbye's the only way." Even with a familiar topic like heartache, the band does do a pretty good job at not making it sound too cliche. Just the fact that it might have autobiographic meaning does make it an intriguing listen. // 9

Overall Impression: "Minutes To Midnight" does feature a few solid songs like "What I've Done", "In Pieces", and "Bleed It Out" that drive home the point why the band has made such a name for itself. There will also still be many fans of past albums who can adjust to the band's latest sound and embrace the ballad-heavy album. If given the opportunity to the listen to the album enough times, it's possible that some of the lackluster songs might grow on you.

More than likely the restrained sound heard on "Minutes To Midnight" will probably draw a wide range of opinions from fans of previous albums. While growth is always encouraged as a musician, it's hard to say if Linkin Park has moved forward with this album. There is nothing wrong with ballads, but those tracks never seem that original. Bennington uses a softer, sweeter style of vocal and it actually sounds great. Hopefully the songwriting can catch up with the musicianship by the time the next release rolls around. // 7

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: BigDyl, on may 16, 2007

Sound: The sound of the album is almost a complete change from their previous works, but that doesn't mean that it is bad. I grew up listening to Linkin Park and it is safe to say that I was slightly disappointed atthe change. I expect the heavier sound reflective of Hybrid Theory or more over Meteora. But as I listened, I came to realise that this sound may be different, but it is by no means worse. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are still Linkin Park through and through, and Chester's vocals are amazing! The lyrics fit the sound almost to a tee and show elements of the fun side of Linkin Park, and also the serious side. Well done guys. I wish I could write like you. // 9

Overall Impression: Just as the band has been saying in the weeks leading up o it's release, 'Minutes To Midnight' is definately a different album altogether. One major element that stood out for me is the evolution the band has undertaken. There is less anger in this album and a lot more meaning, with songs like Hands Held High and Shadow Of The Day causing you to stop and think about yourself. The earlier tracks of the CD I found more appealing but this album can definately cater for whatever mood your in, be it sad, confused or angry. Even with the option of downloading the entire album prior to it's release here in Australia, I still chose to wait and purchase the album from my local music store, and I will definately not hesitate to buy it again in the event of losing it. I've even gone so far as to backing it up onto my computer so I don't scratch the CD from overplaying. I haven't stopped listening since I bought it. Great job again guys. When you comin Down Under? // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: eetfuk58, on november 19, 2007

Sound: Linkin Park used to have such a unique sound featuring a flawless blend of samples and piano with the standard heavy guitars of the genre. Minutes to Midnight doesn't have any of the intesity or heavieness of Meteora of Hybrid Theory. The album sounds extremely weak and generally unimpressive. The guitar sound is the first problem I had with the album. Instead of Brads normal PRS guitar and Marshall and Mesa amp blend he has reverted to vintage instruments and amps. His choice of vintage tube amps and strats would be perfect for a blues band, not a Nu Metal band like Linkin Park. Joseph Hann seems to have played a much smaller role in the album as well. The signature samples and dj scratching are hardly heard in any songs. The vocals have changed drastically as well. Mike sings and raps much less on the album than past albums although the sings "Hands Held High" by himself. The dual scream/rap vocals of past albums has been completely eradicated off of this album. The sound of this album is a major let down. Linkin Park lost almost all of their signature sound which make me ask the question "why buy the album if it doesn't even sound like Linkin Park at all?" // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are not what you might expect. They are much more political on Minutes to Midnight than past albums. "Hands Held High" is definitely the stand out political track on the album, it seems like a rant on the Bush administration and the war on Iraq. The first single "What I've Done" is a track that points out humanities ill effects on the environment. While I have no problems with the lyrics they aren't up to par with lyrics on their other albums. There isn't as much depth, angst, or meaning in the lyrics which is a real bummer. // 4

Overall Impression: Linkin Park has long been a favorite band of mine. I love the mix of samples, heavy guitar, bass, and the occasional piano that Linkin Park so flawlessly mixes together. This album fell short is so many ways, the main reason was that Linkin Park not only changed style, it seems like they lost their identity. The music on the album is decent but lacky the intensity and originality of past albums. The slow ballads on the album would be the only highpoint of the album as the heavier tracks sound weak and uninspired. I honestly can't recommend this album or completely deter you from buying, I would recommend checking out this album any way you can and make up your own mind about it. You may love the new direction of Linkin Park, but I feel like I lost one of my favorite bands. // 4

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2007

Sound: The sound is not what you have come to expect from Linkin Park. There is a lot less heavy guitars, rap lyrics, and screaming. I actually think that most of the sound comes completely from drums and keyboards. One of the songs is compltely raping with drums as a backbeat. The overall tone is very mellow compared to their previous records. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD seemed very simple. For spending as much time as they claimed on writing I expected something much better. They also seemed very predictable, on the song Givin Up there is just so many commonly used rock lyric lines, such as "I'm suffocating", or "I'm my own worst enemy." While I am fine with the occasional swear words used in lyrics it seemed that in some parts they threw it in just so that they could say the F-word one more time. // 5

Overall Impression: The album is extremely different from all of their previous releases. It feels as if they have lost the edge to their music, and they have become so mainstreamed. There is only about four songs on this album that I would want to listen to again. With so much hype this album was a huge dissapointment, I bought it expecting it to be more rock and less of the rap that they had previously used, but soon found that there was very little rock to be found. If this was lost I probably wouldn't care, I've only owned the CD for a day and am already regretting wasting ten bucks. // 5

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: ShatterSpirit, on january 16, 2008

Sound: Linkin Park has finally released a new album. Usually, when bands progress, they get even better than before. However, this is not the case with Linkin Park's new failure "Minutes To Midnight." Every song on this album has an incredibly predictable structure. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus, slow part (instrumental), and then even more of the chorus. Now, this wouldn't neccessarily be bad, if the chorus was interesting. Songs such as "Bleed it Out" are borderline torcherous. The instrumentals themselves have suffered as well. One song opens with the most drawn out, dul guitar riff. The guitar alternates between two notes, somewhat slowly, and the other instruments come in slowly as well. I see what sound or feel they were going for, an epic build up of sorts. But, all they managed to produce was a bland, tedious track in this case. The entire album feels like this, bland. // 1

Lyrics: Ah, the lyrics. I could go on for days of how dreadfully awful these lyrics are. They actually sound like something a preteen cutter would write. They are very, very typical words and rhymes, and overused themes. The singer himself though, does a great job. Sounding like he always had, which in a way is bad, and in a way is good. The terrible lyrics fit the terrible music. // 1

Overall Impression: This album really disappointed me. I was hoping for at least one or two good tracks off of it, but that didn't come anywhere close to happening. Instead, we're fed what can only be described as regurgitated pop/emo garbage. If it were stolen or lost, I would feel sorry for the person stealing it. // 1

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: lithium17z, on september 14, 2012

Sound: I have always like Linkin Park and in this album some great songs were written which is so touching. This album as compare to previous other albums has a softer side. The songs describes both vulnerability and strong will. The style in the music is hard rock and some were with cool acoustic effects. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are so touching and meaningful & actually falls in reality of some of many people out living in the world. The lyrics fits really great with the music, the drums are so cool to hear. Chester is a powerful singer and watch out his softer side will surprise you. He is very skillful. // 9

Overall Impression: Linkin Park is unique at itself, as their music the guitar and the drums sort of creates a hard rock punch in you chest, the lyrics that inspires in good & hard times, the cool inspiring raps. I love almost every bits and pieces they've put together, they are incredibly talented, as per my concern there's nothing to hate and the song of this alums are top of my play list. No matter how old I get they'll always be a great master piece. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: feenuxopia, on may 16, 2007

Sound: Linkin Park, famous for their rock/rap combination, came this year with a new album, called Minutes To Midnight. Though it hasn't been released officially, it has already been leaked on the internet. Minutes to Midnight will be the first Linkin Park album, on which they curse. The rock/rap feeling is totally gone. On some of the numbers you will only hear Chester Bennington sing and on other songs you will only hear Mike Shinoda. They used different styles and mixed them together, which came to an unique sound. It will still be Linkin Park, but a little bit different. For example: they have a number, called No More Sorrow, which contains punk and heavy metal, because of an EBow effect. There is only one number, which is similar to their earlier albums. Given Up. // 8

Lyrics: On this album, we hear Mike Shinoda sing. Which he usually never does. The lyrics are great and Mike Shinoda gave the following comment on the fact, that the album leaked: "It couldn't be more exciting to give you all new music, especially after all the hard work we put into it. This album was almost a year and a half of experiments, mistakes, inspiration, and careful craftsmanship. We put everything we had into these songs, and want you to hear every second of it. I can't wait for you to absorb all the levels of meaning in the songs, and the layers of music, eventually forming your own ideas about what the songs mean to you. At the same time, a leak leaves out some very important parts of this piece of work. We put months of creative energy into the ART of the record, in the booklet, special edition, and big book... almost as long as it took to record hybrid theory (sic). The album has amazing photos, lyrics, and notes about how the songs came together, it's the visual half of the record. On the other hand, the super-special-edition book is packed with exclusive images, stories of the making of the songs, gorgeous art, the CD and a DVD that tells the story, showing the actual moments of inspiration caught on camera. For me, it's almost hard to imagine anyone really experiencing this album without that part of it. Even the song sequence alone is very important. It's WAY different to hear the songs in a random order than to listen to this record from beginning to end. At the very least, if you've already downloaded the songs, do us a huge favor and listen to them in the right order, it'll be way more rewarding." // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this album is great. Though many people have criticized about the album, I love it. One of the numbers in particular. "Shadow Of The Day". It is a great song, which is a bit like U2. I also like "Given Up", because this is in their original style and the lyrics are great. A bit unrealistic, is the extreme long screaming of Chester Bennington, he screams like for 20 seconds. A little bit too long I think. However, though the album is about a year too late, I am really satisfied with it. I downloaded it, which I know is wrong, but after hearing it, I will certainly buy it, as soon as it gets in stores. // 9

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: chrischeng, on may 17, 2007

Sound: How do you actually describe the sound of LP? I have been a fan since their debut in 2000 before MTV and Jay-Z and even then it was hard to describe what they sounded like. The truth is M2M (I'm abbreviating because who really wants to spell it out) sounds like Linkin Park, granted a different LP but LP none the less. I will agree with most the agressiveness is definately turned down a lot, except for the track "No More Sorrow", which is very metal. I will say this, LP has always been a very simple band musically, nothing they play is all that challenging it's the production and the mixing that make LP amazing. Chester IS without a doubt one of the best singer/songwriters of our generation and has taken his skill and perfected it, he sounds better than ever. The CD does have a very mainstream feeling, but is still good. It is not their best work, but is a small (very) step in a new direction. Fact is when you do something for 7 years one way it's hard to completely go in the other direction and expect Gold. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on M2M have some champs and a couple stragglers. Again I will state that I am a HUGE Linkin Park fan and support them in all their endeavors, but there are parts on this CD where, if you are a fan or not, you cringe. In the breakdown in "No More Sorrow" Chester screams "theives and hypocrites" and you kind of say to yourself "that's all you could come up with after 14 months?" Another weak song lyrically is "Given Up", it seems like a song that might have been on a demo earlier in their career. Though the song "In Pieces" is a great song, it becomes a little predicable, but none the less it is a good song. Then there are songs like "Leave out all the rest" which is in my opinion flawless lyrically, it has a "Breaking the Habit", "Easier To Run" feel. Other great songs include "Shadow of the day", "Valentines Day", and as I mentioned before "In Pieces". The CD has songs you will keep on repeat and then there are a few (maybe 1 or 2 you will skip over). // 8

Overall Impression: The best way I can sum up this CD would be if you saw Spiderman 3. If you did, do you remember the feeling you had when you walked out, because that's basically the same way you will feel after listening to this CD. Here is what I mean, M2M is a great CD but I don't think it was worth waiting 14 months, it did not live up to the hype. LP is still one of the greatest bands in a very long time and I still support them. I think this CD could have been more agressive, but my musical likings have changed a lot since Meteora. The best songs in my opinion are "Leave Out All The Rest", "No More Sorrow", and "Shadow Of The Day" (which is very U2-ish). I think everyone should definately give it a chance, after one run through I liked it and after 24 hours it is growing on me significantly. Many fans may not like it but for many it's hard to see a band in a different light. Finch did it with "Say hello to sunshine", Underoath did it with "Define The Great Line", and From First To Last did it with "Heroine". The fact is bands (good bands) know when it's time to move on and change it up. LP is doing that now and I think they did a good job. To compare this CD to their previous releases would be like tryin' to compare a car and a boat, their just two completely different things. I think once people see that, is when they will jump on the bandwagon that people who like the CD are on. // 9

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: alaub1491, on may 16, 2007

Sound: Varying there style greatly on this alubm, Linkin Park, working with Rick Rubin, have produced an extremely sonic, if not slightly overproduced album. Althought the album has very high quality instrument sounds that were obviously created with care and time, the departure from their traditional rap metal/rap rock style left the listener waiting for more at the end of the album. The album did not feel very complete and with the sonic change, the band completely lost any agression they may have had when writing this album or any previous albums. Not all was bad about the album though. The sonic change did show that Linkin Park can break through the generic rap metal sound that they were accustomed to and create something entirely new. Chester Bennington's vocals on this album were clearly some of the best he has ever done ranging from high pitched screams, to low unearthly rumbles, to rasping breathy vocals, to smooth pop singing. Mike Shinoda, although not appearing much on the album, did manage to produce several fantastic and rhythmic rap verses most especially noted in the song Hands Held High where the sonic difference between the music and the vocals created a contrast like no other on the album. More so Shinoda should be credited for his producing skills, creating fantastic sounds and ideas and mixing it all together to create something never heard before. Overall the album has a good sound but can get repetitive and has lost it's agression with the musical style change. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album ranged from incredible to disgustingly simple. Although the single What I've Done has great rythm and a very driving chorus, the lyrics are very baisic and have no real meaning. Several of the songs were very repetitive in there lyrics that seemed almost as if they were written in a hurry or with very little care. On the contrary songs like Valentines Day and Hands Held High really capture the listeners attention with interesting lyrics. The singign on the album was fantastic and clearly some of the best done in the modern era by a male vocalist. Chester clearly worked on exploring different styles of singing and has greatly improved his range of vocals and styles since Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Mike Shinoda went for an entirely different feel with his rap verses on this album and even went so far as to sing an entire song. Although the lyrics can at some times be much to be desired, the vocal ability of Mike and Chester overpower their lyrical boundries and create a solid vocal effort worth listening to. // 7

Overall Impression: Although sonically differnt from their other albums, Minutes to Midnight can be seen as the culmination of Linkin Park's efforts combining intense song writing skills with their tradition rap metal style and twisting it in a whole new way to create something beautiful but with many flaws. Although this album is supposed to be their best, it can almost be seen as a beggining to a whole new Linkin Park because although the album was good, in this new style it could definitely get better. Some highlights from the album would be No More Sorrows, Hands Held High, What I've Done, and In Between. Linkin Park shows that they too can handle a severe style change and still pull it off with flair and style that clearly will lead to more new and better albums. Although many will not like the new album because of its sonic change, the listener has to listen to the album from an unbaised standpoint to see exactly what Linkin Park was trying for. This album although different, still exemplifies the heart of Linkin Park and is clearly one of the best releases of the year. // 8

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Frosty 44, on june 12, 2007

Sound: The impression that the band's sound and music gives me is that they have really started to try and make a difference with thier music, The music on this album compare to there older albums is totally different because the music on Minutes to Midnight isn't as heavy as some of the older songs. Overall the sound and music of the CD is really good and is a change for linkin park but a good change. // 9

Lyrics: My overall impressions of the lyrics is that are excelent because they have more depth and meaning to them than linkin park's older lyrics. This lyrics that they have done go very well with the music that they have writen. Also the lyrics are go very well with what is happening in the world today. Chester Bennington, the lead singer has advanced with the ranch of his voice and he no long only does the heavier parts of the songs. Mike Shinoda has also advanced his singing skills even though he doesn't sing that much on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say compared to thier older albums this is the bext album they have done becasue they have changed the range of thier songs and they have added more tmeaning to thier lyrics. The most impressive songs on this album would be Hands Held High and Given Up. If for some reason I no longer had a copy of this CD I would most definatly buy it again. The thing that like the bext about this album is that they have put more meaning into their lyrics and that Mike has comcentrated more on the instrumental side of things. The thing that I dislike about this album is that Mike has a great voice yet he doesn't sing that much on this album. // 9

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: breakdownkid784, on october 16, 2009

Sound: Linkin Park lost their sound completely on this album. If you look at their past albums, they are nothing like this. Minutes to Midnight is nothing but cliche beats, chord progressions and lyrics. I bought the M2M DVD and they said on the movie that they wanted to change their sound because too many bands sounded like them. Now what band do you know that sounded like Linkin Park? Nobody. This album has no turntables sounds from Hahn at all, he is pretty much un heard from the whole time. Mike sings, which sucks, no rapping from him really. Except for Bleed It Out and Hands Held High, but even those raps don't sound like Mikes' rapping from Hybrid Theory or Meteora. Chester obviously didn't want to scream anymore on this album, he only sings. (with the exception of Given Up and Bleed It Out) Brad dropped his bad ass PRS/ Marshall set up and replaced it with vintage amps and stratocaster guitars. He lost his cool heavy distorted sound. What really makes me laugh though is that on the song Leave Out All The Rest, the only guitar work is Brad is playing a constant strummed octave D5 chord. Sad and pathetic, shows how much work and thought really went into this record. Robs' drumming has been replaced by synthetic, boring, repeated drum beats, most noteably heard on Shadow of the Day. All those soft ballads like Leave Out All The Rest, Shadow of the Day, In Pieces, Little Things Give You Away, Valentines Day, just destroy the band. It's what everyone likes, and it's all Linkin Park will start to put out. Everyone says the song What I've Done is great, its really not. Its just as bad as the rest of the songs. Read more about What I've Done in the lyrics review. The band tried pathetically to keep their old sound on here with a few songs like Given Up and No More Sorrow, but they still sound like any other rock song on the radio. They don't even come close to capturing Linkin Parks' true sound like the songs One Step Closer or Forgotten or Faint. The song that everyone is so hyped about, Bleed It Out, does exactly what the name implies, makes you bleed out your ears. Its the same beat and progression and sound through the whole thing, from the chorus to the post chorus. Its completely unimpressive. The album is just your standard chliche band making standard cliche pop music. There is no signature instruments being mixed together for that unique "Linkin Park" sound, its just like anything else now. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics, like i stated above, are totally cliche, like the rest of the album. These are lyrics that any pissed off little 14 year old emo kid could write after a bad day and arguing with his parents. They are so predictable and not creative at all. Given Up is a key song to show the lyrical thought put into the record. They think they are so cool because they can say the F word, woa bad ass. What I've Done has just an overworked theme as well as lyrics, how many songs do you know that are about he same idea as What I've Done? Ya. What pisses me off more about tht songs' lyrics are that it could be aimed at talking about "Global Warming" and going green. That crap annoys me to death. The most talented lyrics on this album would have to be The Little Things Give You Away. Hands Held High makes me laugh, the fact that now Linkin Park is trying to get political. That is sad. Their old lyrics were so much better, now they are into politics, one big change. // 2

Overall Impression: This album is nothing like their old albums. Hybrid Theory and Meteora had their signature grungy, nu-metal, rap rock fusion sound. Minutes to Midnight sounds like, alternative pop rock. Yep thats it. I can actually categorize them now, i coudn't really do that before. Not too impressive, they sound like all of the rest of the depressed retards on the radio today. I think that is what Likin Park wanted all along, to get more air play and make more money by appealing to the general music masses. Now, I understand that bands mature, but this is not maturing, this is re defining the sound that made them famous in the first place! If Linkin Park played this crap from the beginging, they would be nothing today. They totally sold out. On the DVD they even said it themselves that they wanted to "re-define the band from every aspect" They didn't call it growing up, they called it "re-defining", a.k.a. selling out and changing for fans. Their producer, Rick Rubin, is to blame, I think, for all of this. He made them change everything. He changed where they recorded. He changed their writing process, which made their music ALOT different. He actually had a say in what songs and ideas passed and what he thought was old Linkin Park and not what he thought they wanted. I pray to god that he doesn't do their next album, but I don't think it matters. If you have heard the new single called New Divide, it sounds EXACTLY like What I've Done. They have gotten too comfortable with the new sound that is just making them more money. Sucks, one of Nu-Metals best band is gone, I really hope they realize the fans they lost and make a comeback, but I doubt it. // 1

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: False_God, on may 17, 2007

Sound: When I first heard it the change really made me go "wow". Just so different from previous albums! With this album they really left their nu-metal roots, but they still maintained that LP signature sound! I found this album to be the album with most balls, and they took a big risk with the change and imo they delieverd well! So kudos to LP for a good album! // 9

Lyrics: Ok, I'm gonna give you a song by song discription of the album, make it easier! 01. Wake - the album opener and a sorta insight to what the album is gonna bring. Nothing to say their really. 02. Given Up - one of the more heavier songs on the album, and one of my favourites! Chesters voice has really developed from that whiney voice he had which I really like! The song flows perfectly, the bass only verse really fits! The break down is the only hint of nu-metal from the song. but goes well! I think a solo could of went really well with this, but we can't win em all! 03. Leave Out All The Rest - starts off like a Meteora song which rocks, probably the lightest song on it, and a lot of effects in it. I really like this song tho, a lot of bands can't do soft songs, but LP never fail there! Tho it seems to be a sorta mainstream song, but that doesnt't bother me too much! 04. Bleed It Out - finally some Mike Shinoda! Missed he's presence so far on the album! Really lively song! Love the rappin! he can rap anything it's great! I really like this song! tho it's missing something I can't put my finger on it! 05. Shadow Of The Day - starts off with an electic kit, and some effect. Nothing too strong throughout the whole song! nice mellow-ish song! but has been done too many times over-all. 06. What I've Done - the first single off the album and the most knowing song too! What can I say I love this song alot, tho juts sometimes it lacks the kick that the song had potential of. But I still think it's a great song! One of the best on the album! doesnt't really show off he's new vocal ability like on previous songs! 07. Hands Held High - this is like something from Puff Daddy or something! It really is! Once again nice to hear Shinoda, I can tell this song has something to do with something that happened previously, maybe involving death! Like war maybe. I like it alot, lyrics are very good! Very good! 08. No More Sorrow - very errie intro! I like! Very heavy too! I love the main riff alot, I came up with something like that but damn, they done it better! I think the verses could be a little better, but the chorus makes up for it! Over all very different sorta song! very dark sounding! A good song over all! 09. Valentines Day - a very weird song overall, I like the new concept of their songs! As I said, they have changed alot! and this song is a great example of it! very feeder-ish! Gives out that vibe! Tho missing something again! 10. In Between - Shinoda singin this and I love he's voice! Finally they are songin together! Once again a happy vibe song! and another great song! 11. In Pieces - the song is sorta like a previous song, sorta boring! But that's my opinion! this song has had so many to break into a bitching song but no. but it's an alright song, nothing amazing! 12. The Little Things You Give Away - for the last song, it doesnt't start off anyway good, I was hoping this song would be a really strong song! But as vocals go it's good, It gets a little better when the drums come in! Over all not too great a song! // 7

Overall Impression: This album can't compare to previous albums, due to it being. Just too damn different! What I noticed as the album went on is that it went from heavy and exciting to light and boring bar one or two songs which was sorta dissapointing! But it was still a good album none the less! Overall you should just buy it for the first few songs! // 7

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: rbarger, on june 12, 2007

Sound: Linkin Park in their many years of music have stayed for the most part consistant with their sound. The new album definantly sounds like Linkin Park "esque", with a rich feel, and underlying industrial synth beats. However the first track "Wake" I find to be a bit of a deceptive intro to the album considering most of the tracks are anti-Linkin Park style ballads. Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda's voices have aged a bit, they still sound good, but they don't sound like the young and energetic Linkin Park everyone fell in love with some years ago. In "Leave Out All The Rest" it seems to me that they have gone more towards a pop-like sound, therefore it doesn't appeal to me as a hard rock fan. General overall sound it seems that this new album is geared more towards mainstream pop audiences, so for the record label, that's a good thing, for fans like myself, that's not. "Hands Held High" is not good Linkin Park by any means. In fact, it's the worst track on the album, if not the worst track they've ever released. I dislike the organ at the beginning, I also dislike the choirs singing "AMEN" through the track. But in all seriousness, it's too slow and sappy to qualify as a good track from the band. They've veered away from their original image, and original sound, and come out with an album that's more so of a let down than anything else. Linkin Park, is barely Linkin Park anymore. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics were good in the songs, that's one thing the band maintained consistency with. Shinoda's rap verses were good, and flowed well with the music. Shinoda also sings very well in "In Between". Chester however with "Valentines Day" was just irritating. The frontman makes a better rock singer and screamer as opposed to a sweet, gentle and sappy vocalist. For example, Chester sounded better in "Given Up" than "The Little Things Give You Away". In the track "Hands Held High" I wasn't impressed, it's too political for enjoyment. I really didn't like the track because it's another band delivering a depressing, negative political message, and for me, music is an escape from everything and not an outlet for political opinions. Especially from a band like Linkin Park, you wouldn't expect a political song. Lyrics were good, for the most part. // 7

Overall Impression: I was definantly expecting something better to come from this band. With tremendous success with the past albums, I was anticipating an outstanding album where every song could be a single. I was also expecting a harder sound. Overall, Linkin Park produced an album, but in my opinion it's their worst album to date. The songs are not your typical Linkin Park songs, they're deep ballads, half of which I wouldn't even consider in the rock genre, more so the pop genre. Linkin Park started as a big corporate project that was very successful, but unfortunately with this album, I feel Linkin Park had little to no control over it, which prohibits the band's creativity. They were probably told, "Do it this way, not that way" and due to contractual obligations, they had to. Linkin Park's other albums featured numerous build-ups and climaxes in songs that hit a very heavy downbeat explosion of guitars and noise to make a very powerful track. On this album, there are unneccisary build-ups and climaxes that result to nothing really. If you're listening to the album for the first time, you'll hear these buildups and expect them to get hard, when in turn instead of getting hard, they get soft and gentle. My advice to Linkin Park would be, Ditch Rick Rubin, he lead the band in a direction that appears to be, the downfall of the entire project. Warner Bros had the wrong man in mind for this band. Ditch the pop producer, listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora again, and start back from your roots. Now I have the pleasure of waiting another four years for a Linkin Park album that may or may not be any good. So the anticipation is more negative expectations than positive ones. // 5

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Tster, on december 10, 2007

Sound: If you're looking for the same stuff as Linkin Parks old stuff, you know, the whole rock/rap combo this album might not rock out for you. At first when I got this album I thought it was alright, nothing to special but the more I listened to it I noticed this album is still rocking hard. Their sound is totally different from their old stuff but not worst, it's still an awesome album you gotta appreicate for what it is. It's got some quite catchy stuff in there which is great to play guitar to or rock hard to. It's got quite a lot of softer toned music in there compared to their previous albums but, change is good. // 9

Lyrics: Chester's and Mike's voices are totally wickid! Chester has such an amazing voice and in this album he prooves he can sing and rock. Mike has a bit of a rapper voice which really does suit the music like in track 7 "Hands Held High" which puts the listiner in a whole new experience. Some of the lyrics has a political reflection on them which really adds to the whole new scene Linkin Park is in from this album. Every line has a point to it and it isn't just there cause it rhymes, awesome liyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: An awesome, different album for Linkin Park. I like every track except the one or two which are just to soft and slow for me. Comparing it to their older stuff is pretty hard. If you want a bit heavier buy one of their older albums if you want a bit softer but still be able to rock get this. If you want both, get both. I love the whole new look Linkin Park has put itself into by releasing this which has some awesome tracks. I just hate how some of the tracks are just too slow for me. Inside the booklet you get a real brief comment on the song which tells you what it's about. I'd buy it again. Awesome album! // 9

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: aenimafist, on january 12, 2008

Sound: In all honesty the sound was okay. There was no reason to complain about the sound. Chester and Mike sounded good on the vocals and everything else sounded good. I just didn't like the material itself. I wasn't into the soft rock and What I've Done just isn't that good of a song. The other two albums were dynamite though. The guitarist, um, Phoenix, is that it? He needs to play more solo-y stuff instead of relying on drop Db to get by. // 4

Lyrics: I was so engulfed in how much I didn't like the music I wasn't paying much attention to the lyrics. Let me read them real quick, okay. The words were okay, really. I am shocked however that they made swearing a part of the regime because that will only cause them to lose sales. The vocals were actually better than the music itself. This album may have worked better 100% accoustic. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm sorry Rick Rubin. You're one of the best, but here you kind of failed. Good luck with the next Slipknot though. I think this was a waste of my money. If you haven't already bought the other two Linkins, get them first. If you don't like them, then get this one. If you do like them, leave this on alone. This album didn't get very good reviews on AMG and I am afraid I agree with their rating overall. // 4

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Karkusman, on february 04, 2008

Sound: Linkin Park have established themselves as a typical nu-metal band, proved by there previous two albums Hybrid Theory and Meteora (not including reanimation or live in Texas). However there is a great change in there latest album Minutes To Midnight, where instead of there previous vibe have changed into a mellow, melodic sludge. Some of the song like the opening one "Given Up" still contain the old style metal that Linkin Park are good at but most of the other songs have gone to sappy for the old fans taste. // 4

Lyrics: Lyrically speaking Linkin Park have again, like there sound, mellowed out, maybe a little too much. Again like my previous example "Given Up" there is still some of the hardcore vibe that Linkin Park possessed before. But then the at the other end of the scale "Shadow Of The Day" just turns into a boring, depressing drone of noise. For some people this maybe a better Linkin Park than before, but otherwise I wouldn't be too impressed. // 6

Overall Impression: After listening to the album countless times to see whether it would sound any better I eventually gave up, like I am sure so many other fans have done. Even though some of the songs still have Linkin Park's old, and true self the rest of the album is big disappointment. However I can say if you've heard one song that you like you may like the rest of the album, but if you didn't like it then don't ask for this album for your birthday (or at all). I think it's fair to say, Linkin Park, you've gained some new fans but lost a lot of old ones. // 4

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Pablo-man, on august 25, 2008

Sound: It seems to me that everyone is condenming these guys for changing thier style. Me, being new to the rock scene, couldn't care less. Their sound has definatly changed, but that's not all bad. The early Linkin Park stuff sounds angry, MtM sounds is a sad album with a couple of really fun songs. I love the sound of the keys and heavy palm mute in "Given Up", and "Bleed It Out" is the only song I'll rap to in public. // 10

Lyrics: As with all CD's (that I've ever heard, anyway), the lyrics start out amazing and seem to fall apart at the end. But in this CD, it is the very end. The last track is the only track I don't like. The rest are amazing. Bennington's voice is amazing. I wish I could go from amazing tenor to screaming like that. And I like hearing Shinoda every once in a while (I can only stand so much rap). // 9

Overall Impression: I love how this CD bashes the government. In other Linkin Park songs, they mostly focus on lashing out at everyone and everything. In MtM, and particulary "Hands Held High", they seem to be giving a list of things they hate, instead of just expressing their hate. I wasn't impressed with "What I've Done". I think that it is the weakest song on the album and should never have recieved the hype it did. If this CD were stolen, I wouldn't replace it, but that's only because I already have it on my Ipod. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Eggsampull, on may 17, 2007

Sound: As you all probably have heard, the sound is very different from every other Linkin Park release. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Though some (if not most) people will have trouble getting use to a slightly more docile Linkin Park, one should keep an open mind when listening to this particular release. Though a lot of people talk about the surplus of ballads and songs with a slower tempo, another thing is different in this album too, and that would be the almost trippy sound that Linkin Park albums generally filled with. Yea, there's still a heavy amount of distortion, but the sound in total is different. Also, there is a lot less of a Rap-Core feel. It seems like Shinoda was making a cameo as some sort of super producer, rather than an active band member, of course other than his attempt at being a lead vocalist. // 7

Lyrics: Despite a few cliche lines here and there, the lyrics are top notch on this album. The few verses that Shinoda does have are absolutely amazing. The subject matter is good as well, I especially like the last track, "The Little Things Give You Away", which is about Hurricane Katrina. The topics are original and the lyrics are as well. I would rate this the best Linkin Park album in terms of lyrics, and one of the best albums from anyone in a long time, also in terms of lyrics. The vocals by Chester are also the best I've ever heard from him. Shinoda's ballad is another story. I don't get what they were trying to accomplish, if anyone should have sang that track it should have been Chester. It was a little too timid, especially in comparison to some of Shinoda's other verses on the album. // 8

Overall Impression: Though it's entirely new, and entirely different, there are still a few gems which the strictest of Linkin Park fans will enjoy (Bleed It Out, Given Up, In Pieces.) Of the "softer" Linkin Park tracks, none of them truly stand out as amazing. They were trying to do something, but weren't fully able to accomplish it, but I predict their future releases will expand on their new sound. The only track that I can say that I genuinely hated was Valentine's Day. Hardcore fan or not, this album is definitely worth a listen to and I'll say that most people should purchase it, if only for the curiosity aspect. All in all I think it was a solid title and with time the band will be able to capture the sound/mood that they just quite couldn't get a hold of in this release. // 8

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on may 21, 2007

Sound: OK, the single biggest change on this CD is definetly the sound. In every interview, and from anyone you'll ever ask, you'll hear that their sound is changed. It does not sound at all like Hybrid Theory or Meteora, and me telling you this right now will not even totally prepare you for the different sound. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's so different it takes a few runs through the CD to get used to the sound and really start liking the songs. There is much less of Shinoda singing/rapping, but he does rap a cool song- Hands Held High. I cannot stand modern rap, how every song sounds the same, but I like this song because Mike's rapping has a point and it's fun to hear the lyrics. Overall, the band has done a pretty good job of dropping the nu-metal tag they were hoping to lose, but you can definetly still hear a bit of aggression on Given Up. There are also a lot of slower, less energetic, quieter songs, like Leave Out All the Rest, but they are all right to listen to. In general, I like the sound of the CD, but I am open to a lot of styles of Rock, and some of my freinds didn't like the album at first, so I am assuming most people won't really like the CD until they give it a chance and get used to the drastic changes LP has made to their sound. It helps to get used to the sound if you think of it not as LP, but as a completely different band at first. That way you don't expect the old sound as much. // 10

Lyrics: Chester's good singing skills are evident on this CD. What I've Done is a fun song to listen to, and the lyrics match up perfectly with the music video. I've heard some people complaining that his lyrics are emo now, but the only example I could really find was "Put me out of my misery!" (Given Up). The part where he sings (screams) this calls for an aggressive, loud phrase anyway, so it's not hard to listen to. Chester also does a good job of screaming when the occasion calls for it (given up again) and his voice sounds good on all the songs. Another cool example of his lyrics are on Valentine's Day, just listen to the song and hear for yourself. On the other side, Mike Shinoda doesn't really appear much, but he does an awesome job rapping on Hands Held High. Like I said before, I can't stand rap today, but Mike makes rap good again by giving it a point and making it sound good. He backup sings on What I've Done, and besides that I can't remember anywhere else he shows up. Basically, the singing done on this album is pretty good. // 10

Overall Impression: Obviously, you can't compare this CD to anyhting else by LP. Their sound has changed so drastically that even if you are expecting a different sound, you still have to get used to this CD. That is the only problem, however, and it goes away after listening to the CD two or three times. The CD is also best listened to in order, that's the way each song was meant to be heard, one after the other in that order. The best songs are What I've Done (obviously, it's the leading single), Given Up (sound the most like their old music, my favorite right now), Valentine's Day (takes a while to pick, but sounds so cool when it does), and Bleed it Out (the booklet says they had a lot of fun writing this song, and you can definetly tell by how energetic and fun this song is to listen to). This CD is good enough to re-buy if it gets stolen, but most people will probably only think so after they've adjusted to the new music. This CD is pretty cool, and worth checking out if you want to see what LP has been up to the last few years. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: arshi_012, on may 23, 2007

Sound: I think it's quite interesting. they have a new sound on themselves. Initially I must say I was very excited when I heard about the album. I expected all those good songs like In The End, Numb etc. But this album is quite different. It's quite peaceful. The first track they aired "What I've Done" was quite new in a way. They have Made their music more soothing to the ear now. // 7

Lyrics: Overall stuff I mean the lyrics are good. It goes well with the music. Chester has gone more into a singing mood than rather what he used to do before. Mike Shinoda is not rapping so much which I dint like. But they have kept their heads high and made something new which is a good thing. // 8

Overall Impression: Some songs which I liked were "What I've done", "Shadow of the Day", "Valentines Day", "In Pieces". But I'm Afraid to say that as a whole I was disappointed. I have a friend who dint like LP because of Mike's rapping. He thinks that rock should be kept rock n not rap. After this release he was quite happy. But to my opinion and a real fans's opinion it's not what they expected out of the album. I expected a lot more considering that they had been working on the album since a year and half. The lost the emoness the rap Shinoda gave to the music. So if you want to know what what I love about it it gotta be the lyrics. But I hate it that there's no rap. As a whole I think that I don't like the new "avatar" that LP have brought with them. I don't think I'll buy a CD if it gets lost because it's not what I wanted from them. // 6

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: con job, on may 30, 2007

Sound: From the off it's clear that Linkin Park have taken a different route from their usual. The band have been talking for a long time about changing their sound and have succeded. In fact, personally I find it hard to compare it with Meteora and Hybrid Theory, it seems that different. There is a more mature sound and attitude to the album. There is little to find in the way of bridges where Chester nearly rips his throat apart screaming(besides in Given Up)and very little guitar parts that would suggest nu-metal, or are in any way heavy. Songs like Shadow of The Day, Leave Out All The Rest and In Pieces are reminiscent of songs like Easier To Run. People may feel cheated because of a lot of the synth noises(or rather sounds that are distinctly un-guitar like)but anyone that isn't narrow-minded should enjoy and appreciate how the album was put together. It's a lot less produced sounding than previous albums, and it's evident with Rick Rubin at the helm of the record. However, it isn't all doom and gloom, as songs like Given Up, No More Sorrow and Bleed It Out offer something rare(by this albums standards anyway. There's Mike's signature rapping, which is lacking on this record, and the classic heavy songs that Linkin Park can offer. It is a different sound, and may disappoint people who are too stubborn to enjoy a new sound, but for people who can see past the change, they will appreciate it. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics, for me, have been a weak point for Linkin Park for some years. There's also parts in this album where the lyrics seem very corny, and very teenage angst type of feel, but overall the lyrics have matured. What's partiularly noticeable is the new type of material they began to write about. In "Hands Held High", Mike raps in protest rather than the bordering on emo material he sang before. The lyrics are a lot less predictable, and less lyrical clichs are to be found, and overall it's an improvement // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I can't compare this to the other two albums, because the sound is quite different. It's in a different league completely, but still it's hard to find things I hate about it. On occasion, the slower songs can drown in themselves, and there's a lack of upbeat, heavier songs, but overall it's a welcome return for a band that will be put down no matter what they do. But they have matured and awful lot and have crawled out of their nu-metal shell, and is hard to classify them now. Most impressive songs would have to be "Given Up", "Shadow Of the Day", "Hands Held High", "No More Sorrow" and "Valentines Day". Great record, and looking forward to hearing more from LP already. // 8

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: blanch, on june 28, 2007

Sound: Linkin park. Minutes to midnight. Linkin parks seventh cd. It took them over a year to create this album, over double the time it took them to create any other CD previously. The bands sound on this album varies a lot. It goes from Chester Bennington screaming and pouring his heart out to him singing melodic ballads and on again to the rapping of Mike Shinoda. This album is similar to the bands other albums in that some tracks are fast and the electric guitar sound is very heavy and others are slow and melodic. // 7

Lyrics: The band use very strong lyrics in all their songs and always have done although this time there is more swearing. Mike's rap lyrics indicate that he feels hard done by and is angry at rich people and at businessmen. This is because he comes from a very poor background. A lot of the lyrics are directed at lovers in tracks such as leave out all the rest and no more sorrow. The music suits the lyrics well in terms of tempo, dynamics etc. The singing is good but I think Chester should go easy on the screaming a little as he has a good voice. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is very good but it is repetitive and short. My favourite songs from the CD would be What I've Done, Bleed It Out, Hands Held High and No More Sorrow. I really like Mike's rapping but I hate it when Chester screams lust for the sake of being loud. If I lost the CD I wouldn't rush out to buy it but if I saw it at a cheap price I would re-buy it. // 7

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: comickid, on august 29, 2007

Sound: After listening to this album, all I have to say is "wow". Linkin Park (acumpanied with my musical tastes) has taken a turn in the right direction. Whether it's the industrial rock sound of "given up" or the hit pop single "What I've Done", I was more than impressed. Although, there are some downfalls. Mike Shinoda was barely in the album. And what I really noticed is that the guitarist hasn't improved since live in Texas. Stick to "A Place For My Head", you were actually good in that! // 8

Lyrics: It seems that with Mike gone, Chester improves! Chester is not only better at writing lyrics, he also doesn't have that whiney voice anymore. Compared to his preveius songs (as far as lyrics and his voice goes)I would pay big money to have Chester totally re-do the Hybrid theory and Meteora. // 9

Overall Impression: I, personally, love the new Linkin park. I almost regret having all that rap stuff on my mp3's. Now I don't have to (I also regret that the only rap I'd listened to was from a white guy who didn't even have a rap group, so he had to be with Linkin Park. Kinda pathetic). Overall, I think that this album was a work of genius, but I have to say, it does get old after a while, so don't over whatch you're live in Texas vids! // 6

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2007

Sound: Linkin Park has definetely taken a different direction with this album than from others. I have been a long time fan of them, since Hybrid Theory, and have always loved their nu-metal sound mixed with hip-hop. This album changed that drastically, and to be honest, I was not impressed with the new sound as much as the old, which isn't to say it wasn't still good. Chester has taken most of the lyrics now, whereas Mike used to rap verses. Now, Mike's generally on backup guitar, with the exception of "Hands Held High" and "In Between". They had one song similar to the old albums, "Bleed it out" which incorperated Mike doing a verse and Chester with the chorus. Brad's guitaring has changed some, with more solo's being incorperated, and a slightly lighter verse and chorus. He did still do a harder sound with "No More Sorrow", being one of my favorite songs on the album. Phoenix and Mr. Hahn are hardly audible, for the most part, which was a tad dissapointing. And Rob's drumming is still of the best out there. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have always been, and still are, very powerful. Chester still sings about realistic issues, and personal issues, while keeping his harmonic voice, and incorperating some great screams now and then. Mikes song "Hands Held High" was a war song, and made the list of top 10 war songs. It is powerful, and that's all I can say about it. Lines such as "It's ironic, at time like this you pray, but a bomb blew the Mosque up yesterday" and "Take back what's yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." make it a very emotional, and catchy song. Chester still has memorable lyrics. No More Sorrow being one of his critical songs with lines such as "You trade money for lies" and "You will pay for what you've done." If one thing hasn't changed, it's the powerful lyrics of btoh Chester and Mike. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, as much as I hate to say it, with the other 2 original albums, Hybrid Theory and Meteora, this was probably my least favorite, only because the new sound the attempted was not to my liking as much as the others. I got this on opening day, and I would definetely recommend it to anybody who's a fan of the band, or who never did like them, but wants to hear their new sound. You will be listening to it multiple times, because despite being different, it's still addictive. // 7

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: b_ball_girl1021, on october 24, 2007

Sound: This album gives the impression of good recording and putting everything available to good use. The music is great. It is definetly therr best album so far. It's kind of hard to tell really what genre the music is due to it mix of alternative rock and rap. But the way they mix rock and rap is amazing! No other band can do it better! // 8

Lyrics: The songs were all good but my personal favorites are Given Up, Leave Out All The Rest, Bleed It Out, Shadow Of The Day, and What I've Done. The lyrics go realy well with the songs. Linkin Park's lead singer is acually a good singer and can sing his songs really well, unlike some other singers in bands. // 9

Overall Impression: You can't really compare Linkin Park with any other band due to it's uniqueness in being a mix. The most impressive songs from the album are Leave out all the rest and bleed it out. Later on the album the songs start to get a bit boring with the songs that don't really have much of a beat. I didn't like the fact that there was more cusing in the songs but I really didn't mind it much when you get the edited version. Definetly a album to buy. // 9

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: mogaz, on january 07, 2008

Sound: My impression of the band is that the sound is rocking and it also has a little bit rap in it which makes it perfect for the not so kene on heavy metal. I don't believe that there's a story attached to this album, I just believe that the songs are wrote randomly from mind. They used two different styles of music here which was rap and alternative rock. The sound overall is quality! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this are very well constructed. "Given Up" has amazing lyrics with an 18 second vocal strecth. The lyrics are also very well constructed around the music which gets you in the mood to rock out. The singer Chester Bennington has a unique talent to blow you minds as I mentioned he screams for a whole 18 seconds. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that Linkin Park have a unique relation with Limp Bizkit as they both include rap and rock. The most impressive songs on the album are: Given Up Bleed It Out, Shadow Of The Day, What I've Done and No More Sorrow. I'll leave the rest up to you! I just love the way that "Given Up" is put together as so are many others. If this album was stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: AEnima18, on april 16, 2008

Sound: 'Minutes To Midnight' is the third studio album by one of the biggest metal bands of the late 90s and early 21st century, Linkin Park. After the success of previous efforts 'Hybrid Theory' and 'Meteora' (despite mediocore reviews in the music press), the band decided to take a fresh approach to their music. With the nu metal scene that supported them now dead, they hired acclaimed producer Rick Rubin (Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Audioslave, Slipknot), to work on a record with a fresh approach. 'Minutes To Midnight' steps away from heavy, chord-based and rap and moves toward a more melodic and progressive direction. Many fans of the first two full-length albums have expressed disapointment at the changes, this reviewer included. However, when this album is given a good amount of listening time, the new Linkin Park shows itself as a taste worth acquiring. The record opens with 'Wake', a short instrumental which builds into a landscape of warm sounds. This leads on through to industrial punk rocker 'Given Up', which is one of two tracks on the album that resembles the old Linkin Park, along with 'No More Sorrow'. Fans of older material will enjoy these tracks for their heavy riffs and breakdowns (although no rap is included), but it is within the melodic tracks that the most interesting features can be seen. The first single 'What I've Done' contains a memorable, sing-along chorus and U2-style guitar work. This reviewer's favourite tracks are 'Shadow of the Day' a soft, sample-based ballad, and 'Hands Held High', which is composed of meldodic guitar underneath two of Mike Shinoda's most powerful verses ever. The members of the band have clearly grown as musicians. Brad Delson's guitar parts are now more progressive and complex, Joe Hahn creates layered soundscapes which add mood, and Shinoda even shows off his singing voice on 'In Between'. They are showing signs of maturity whilst still capturing the elements that made people stop and listen to them. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, the band has always made a connection with fans, with both Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington making use of highly personal subject matter. This album is not much different in many tracks, although obviously Bennington gets a lot more time than Shinoda, as opposed to previous albums. Lyrics tend to deal with anger, love, frustration, regret and isolation. However, there are some songs with variations on the normal Linkin Park lyrics. One of these is 'No More Sorrow', which leans towards the predictable anti-Bush style sentiment used by so many modern bands in the last half a decade. More interestingly, 'Bleed It Out' has lyrics that are very different from anything the band has done before, the emphasis seeming far more upbeat and positive than usual (from Shinoda, at least). In conclusion, some lyrics are just 'decent' but some are fantastic. Shinoda goes deeper than he has ever done before, while Bennington provides another solid performance. // 7

Overall Impression: Despite some criticism from long-term fans, the band has delivered a solid album of interesting material. It may not all be as instantly catchy as the band's earlier work, but as previously mentioned, repeated listenings will make the album more rewarding. The heavier tracks stand out more at first, but in time the entire collection blends into something that defines the band's creative and musical development into maturity. // 8

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Raffi M, on june 09, 2008

Sound: Ok Minutes to Midnight sees LP branch of into a new sound that is very different from their classic Nu-Metal sound which they had in the early 2000's. This sees them go into a softer alternative rock sound. Well I'll start off by saying that nearly every song on this album is a ballad with some exceptions like Given Up and No More Sorrow. I did not find this disappointing as I thought it was a time for change in Linkin Parks sound because their music was getting repetitive. In this record Chester and Mike both use different vocal techniques with Mike rapping less and actually singing on In Between. Brad (the guitarist) does to solos, one that is pretty fast (In Pieces) and one slow (the Little things give you away he also does a weird(but good riff) in Bleed It Out. Mr Hahn also does a lot less scratching of the turntables. Overall this is a really good sound and very soothing in some songs. I like it a lot (I think every song is good) but am kind of disappointed in the lack of rapping in Mikes part. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics have taken a change from their previous work as the band has matured and experienced a lot more in their lives (anyway a couple of 30 year olds singing about teen angst and sadness would sound weird right? e.g. Fred Durst). Chester has gone through a divorce and remarried so some of his lyrics revolve around that aspect. Mike in Hands Held High Raps about the war in Iraq and George Bush showing strong political views and Chester sings about Hurricane Katrina since he had visited there and seen the devastation it had caused. Mainly the lyrics deal with pain and anger and political issues. Chester uses a much softer voice in this album in some songs (Little things give you away, Valentines day) but in others shouts his head off (Given up, No More Sorrow) and even includes a 19 second long scream in Given Up. I think the lyrics were very meaningful and powerful but I think they could have used a bit of work at some places like Bleed It Out since I find it kind of lacking in Chester's Part. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I find M2M to be some of the bands best work. I was disappointed in some aspects like Mike's lack of rapping and Mr Hahn's lack of visibility musically but they are minimal in the overall sound and feel of this album. Some of the best songs are Bleed It Out, No More Sorrow, Given Up and Valentines Day. This was one of the highlights in 2007 as I saw it as a lacking year with it being dominated by Pop Rock and Pop Punk bands which were bad. In the subject of individual band member work, the band has stepped up with Rob Bourdon the drummer and Brad Delson both stepping up and giving the fans something fresh and new and Mike Shinoda doing some very good rhythm guitar work. Chester shows us his softer side while Phoenix (the bassist) does some really cool bass work (Given Up, What I've Done). If I lost this CD I would definitely buy it again as it is some of the bands best work. I really enjoyed every song in this album (even though some songs took some time to get used to). I would recommend this album to anyone who could handle a change in sound for LP and who likes a more soft sound for them. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Oldreich87, on june 16, 2008

Sound: Minutes to midnight rules! I have the songs off of it always stuck in my head. I really like how Linkin Park combined rap and rock together in this album like the song Bleed It Out for example. Minutes To Midnight showed a very good example of awesome Nu metal music. The creation of this album was very well done and I would really recommend for anyone to hear this CD! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album were explicit but very good. On the CD cover it said that the lyrics were explicit but in my opinion I don't think that they are the most explicit of all lyrics. I am very amazed by Linkin Park's lyrics because they fit the songs well and are done so well. My conclusion is that the lyrics of Minutes To Midnight were written with a lot of skill but at some points they are a little unfit. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, I think that this album is the most unique album that Linkin park has created. The songs from this album that I find most impressive are Shadow of The Day, What I've Done, and No More Sorrow. I have nothing bad to say about Minutes To Midnight, I loved every bit of it. If it was stolen or lost then I would definetely buy it again. Way to go Linkin Park for making such a great album. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: Caleb Weyant, on june 17, 2008

Sound: Before I got the album I listened to Bleed It Out, Shadow Of The Day, and What I've Done on MTV and VH1. My ipmression of those tracks was that Shadow of the day was only going to be the only soft song on the album besides like 2 others but I was wrong. When I first started listening to the album I listened to all the songs I didn't know. I was surprised. For Linkin Park there wasn't too much screaming. That threw me of guard. My impression that I told my brother was that It sounded like U2 not LP. I liked the new sound in some of the songs like Hands Held High, Shadow Of The Day, Leave Out All The Rest, and Valentines Day. Overall the sound was good but they should go back to their old stytle of music. Their old style was shown in the tracks Bleed It Out, No More Sorrow, and Given Up. // 7

Lyrics: I was surprised at the unesesary swearing in the music. I didn't like it at all. But they nshould have still had Mike and Chester both should still sing together in the songs like theyt did in the song Hit the Floor from Metoera and Lying from you. I think the vocals fit in with the music perfectly though even though I didn't like too much of the music. Mike could've done a lot more rapping in my opinion. // 8

Overall Impression: The songs that I like most where Given Up, Leave Out All The Rest, Bleed It Out, What I've Done, Hands Held High, and my favorite song on the album was No More Sorrow. I love the songs thatnI listed but the sound needs to tgo back to tye old way. I would not get the album again. // 8

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2008

Sound: Linkin Park's great album has been a hit to today's generation. The hard rock is a blow out which attracts many people to the band. And the band has added a touch of rap with their songs, however holding back on this album. The band's originality says something about them. They cut down the rap because too many of todays bands have followed, or copied, them. The sound has been wared out. So with this new album at hand, it is a big new sound that is used for the better. Songs such as, bleed it out, use the rap but other songs on the album, or shall we say most, do not use rap. Mike, sings and plays guitar and hangs close with the band still. Chester Pennington sings a little sing songy in some songs but it still sounds great or else it wouldn't have gotten the hype it did. After seeing them at their anual Projekt Revolution, their live performance shows that they are both capable of sounding great in and out of the studio. Which always is a good key to a band's success. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics and messages pulled from the songs are not as particularly new to the band, the song, The Little Things Give Yu Away, is about New Orleans, but the rest is all the same old message. Many songs of hate, rage and envy come from the band but also, apology, which is their strongest message. Mike and Chester do a great job this album talking about pushing away the bad and pulling in the good. So although this one album does not have a certain story, all the albums together do. // 7

Overall Impression: The overall impression of the album is solid, one word. Or in search for a better word, consistent. Every song and every moment of this albums presence is an amazing assortment of instrumentation and vocal geniuses. The bands clever progressions and unique style is a wonder to us all. Linkin Park does and will change the history of music, one of many bands in which have such a big influences on both types of music as far apart as they are, Rap and Rock. Each key factor in both genres are here, in this band and album. Every person who knows Linkin Park is fond of them, and most love them. Few artist today can match this band. Haunting. No band recently has pulled off so many diverse crowds like this band does. Bravo to them and all fans who make Linkin Park so big. // 10

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: salamander121, on august 12, 2008

Sound: Link Park. From other albums they were seen as that nu-metal band that some people saw as a novelty. Well their sound has definetaly changed with this album. Minutes To Midnight breaks away from the past nu-metal and brings in something a bit more emo to some songs in this album. This can make it more radio friendly (such as the single What I've Done), not making it a bad thing, but a lot of people seem to hate their favourite band becoming radio friendly as it no longers becomes 'different'. Through it becoming more radio friendly it does allow them to broaden their listening audience which I think is a great idea as I think Linkin Park could well become one of the greatest bands ever. In the making of this album, their creativity really boomed. Infact, it boomed so much that they had to post-pone the release date 3 times before settling for May 15th, 2007. In Minutes To Midnight, Linkin Park keep their nu-metal sound but they add/remove some things, making it suitable for old fans and the new ones they would probably hope to achieve. In my opinion, as I'm a stubborn old fan (no not a type of man), I don't think this album has as many strong songs as their previous albums but the strong songs it has, they hit you hard. // 8

Lyrics: The singing from Chester Bennington, and rapping from Mike Shinoda, has been used very effectively in this album. I would say the lyrics are based on the current war in Iraq, and to do with the families that have to suffer each time their family member must go out and fight. Screaming out those songs to get their point across, while also singing more melodically in a sad kind of way, you really start to think about the war and what pain it inflicts on the families who have soldiers out there. Bennington has always had a knack for being able to scream at the top of his voice, to come down to a soft clean voice, making his singing very versatile. As for Shinoda, rapping can be a hard thing to implement into rock but he manages to succeed in doing so. rapping in rock songs in what really keeps the beat going, like in "Bleed It Out" it really gets you nodding to the beat. As for songs like "Hands Held High" the words and way he executes it, once again really gets you thinking. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs in my opinion would have to be "Given Up" because of Benningtons scorching singing and "Hands Held High" because it's a master of political songs. Overall I wouldn't say it's their best album, probably ranking 2nd underneath the likes of Meteora or Hybrid Theory. But I wouldn't put it off that quickly as it's a brave move to do something so different and to recieve such a reception, it shows that Linkin Park have still got what it takes to become one of the greatest bands on Earth. // 7

Minutes To Midnight Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2008

Sound: 4 years after Meteora Linkin Park has completely changed from the radio-friendly nu-metal style they were known for. Most songs on the album are played in drop D tuning, never used by LP before, even if there are still a few song in LP signature drop Db tuning. Every single member of the band has evolved: lead guitarist Brad Delson now play more complex parts and also put a few solos in the album, simple but tasty; drummer Rob Bourdon abandoned playing just simple rock patterns to move into something with more personality, from fast punk/metal tempos (given up, no more sorrow) to complex patterns (the little things give you away), bass player phoenix now doesn't always follow the guitar parts and does his best in wake, bleed it out, in betwen and given up. DJ Joe Hahn focused more on the sampling, where he did an eccellent work (shadow of the day, leave out all the rest, in pieces) while he used turntables in just a few songs. // 9

Lyrics: Vocalist Chester Bennington now sings most of the songs alone, while covocalist and MC Mike Shinoda raps only in two songs, Bleed It Out (which features the old LP vocal formula rap+singing) and Hands Held High, he also focused more on vocal harmonies and sings lead vocals on In Between. Lyrics skip from social and political issues to love, hate and fear. Both Shinoda and Bennington have significantly improved since Meteora. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this record shows Linkin Park's true potential as a band. Not everybody will love this album but we know, after two similar albums change is needed. LP understood it and consequently moved in this direction If it was stolen I would definitely buy it again. Now we wait late 2009 for LP's forth studio album. Keep on rocking guys! // 9

More Linkin Park reviews rating latest review