Somewhere I Belong [Single] Review

linkin park: Somewhere I Belong [Single]
Release Date: Mar 18, 2003
Label: WEA International
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Lead single off the 2003 album, "Meteora". The title track is backed with 2 non-album tracks "My December" (live Projekt Revolution Tour 2002), & "Step Up" (live Projekt Revolution Tour 2002).
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.1
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Somewhere I Belong [Single] Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Sound: This single has only 3 songs on it, 'Somewhere I Belong', 'Step Up' and 'My December'. Step Up and My December are live tracks, played in San diego (I think), and previously unreleased. Somewhere I Belong is the same as it is on Meteora, but it's my favorite linkin park song and ill never get tired of listening to it. 'Step Up' is a fairly fast track, mostly rap, and with a really cool chorus. Joe Hahn is pretty much let loose on this track, with a really skillful solo towards the end. 'My December' is a little more subdued, most of the input coming from Chester singing, Mike playing a piano loop and Rob providing a slow drum beat. Joe Hahn again has a solo towards the end which really works well with the slow beat. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for 'Somehwhere I Belong' are some of the best I've heard, and 'Step Up' has some really cool rap with both Mike and Chester singing during the chorus. Half way through the song Mike and Chester start talking to the crowd, sometimes both at the same time. The lyrics for 'My December' arent taxing or anything, but theyre sung really well and there are some cool lines. // 9

Overall Impression: The two live songs on this album are good, but not as good as most of the other linkin park songs in my opinion. 'My December' is a little slow and 'Step Up' could have done with being longer. Still, theyre cool tracks, and 'Somewhere I Belong' is my favorite song at the moment. I wouldn't buy this album again if I lost it as I already have the songs on my computer, but if I lost the album and the songs majicaly deleted themselves then yes I would get it again. It was only 2 anyway, not exactly a massive ammount of money to pay. // 10

Somewhere I Belong [Single] Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 01, 2006

Sound: This was the first taste of what the UK would recieve in 2003 from the worlds most popular nu-metal band. The first single from the smash hit album "Meterora". This CD single also contains 2 live performances, Step Up and My December from the Hybrid Theory EP (not the album). As usual, Linkin Park don't do that complicated guitar parts from Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson, quite insultivly easy bass (only playing along with the what the guitars do), good synth work from Jospeh Hann and credible but not truly spectacular Drumming from Rob Bourden. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are typically LP, reflective and miserable, always yearning or regreting something, they are quite poetic and clever but there is very little variation in their lyrical content, only Step Up varies in that it describes the rap-rock scene. Chester and Mike deliver the vocals together very well and they compliment eachother well despite their very different styles. // 8

Overall Impression: Somewhere I Belong: one of Linkin Parks's most succesful tunes to date but I can't see it, Linkin Park have done so much better (most of both mainstream studio albums). Step Up: this is a very hip hop oriented song, but compensates with heavy riffage and good but slightly gimicky lyrics. My December: the lyrics are bog standard Linkin Park, Yearing for something and regreating something else, it works as a soft song but dosen't work as a live song simply because of how slow it is. Overall, I would not call this is a particularly excellent single, comapred with other songs from Meteora such as Faint and From The Inside. All of these songs are not Linkin Park's best and next to classics like Papercut, Crawling and the mighty One Step Closer are really not up to the standard. // 7

More Linkin Park reviews rating latest review