Collision Course Review

linkin park and jay-z: Collision Course
Released: Nov 30, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop-Rap, Hardcore Rap, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups brings together artists from different genres to seamlessly blend their songs, creating an exciting and unique musical experience.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 6.6
 7.2
 5.9
reviews (9) 1 comment vote for this album:
Collision Course Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2004

Sound: I've always been a fan of Linkin Park. Soundwise they've always managed to have their own sound. No matter if you like or hate them that's something they've always managed to have. I am not a big rap fan but I did enjoy Jay-Z's unplugged album. So when I heard about Collision Course it was a no brainer to buy. Soundwise though this album is a better and shorter version of reanimation. some tracks where completely remixed "Encore/Numb" and sometracks where left alone "99 problems/Osc/Poa/". But it still sounds like Linkin Park. // 8

Lyrics: Lryically I think Jay Z is one of the best rappers out there. Lryically Linkin Park has some good stuff so together the skills shine. Vocally it's scary at some point how well this thrio mixes. the only problem I had with it was that some songs where just to short lryically. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'd say this is the best and smartest released album of this year take the two biggest titans of there genre and put'em on one CD. But this isnt just a money maker. It's just a Cd that let's you know that LPJZ is another truely amazing thing. there are some downsides like not alot of tracks but hey it's a solid release and it's 10 timest better then reanimation. // 10

Collision Course Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2005

Sound: This sound appeals more to the mainstream pop/r'n'b listener than to Linkin Park's original fans, who, frankly, may be insulted by the compromise. I know I was. With some of the favourites and easily-knowns of the Linkin Park songs interspersed with random Jay-Z-esque DJ noises, this makes for an interesting sound good for the background of wild parties and bad for attentive listening. Personally, I have never been a Jay-Z fan and find myself longing for the personality of Linkin Park that is too often sadly absent throughout this album. The average old Linkin Park fan was not the mainstream sort who frequently held parties, but it is obvious that this is who the album is trying to attract, and has done well economically. However, the compromise musically is unforgivable and often a huge disappointment to previous LP fanatics. // 6

Lyrics: It's hard to find any meaning in the shallow lyrics from Jay-Z's side and the absence of Linkin Park's usual attention to detail and amazing metaphorica. I cannot say I am a fan of any of these songs, which are basically identical and without deeper meaning. Where Linkin Park has sold themselves out, an increasing amount of their old fans are turning to such bands as Three Days Grace, whose raw misery replaces Linkin Park's now shallow and frankly false happiness. // 4

Overall Impression: Compared to previous Linkin Park albums, this is a major step down. I wouldn't know about Jay-Z's, but for him it's most likely a step up, and for his fans. However, the unique quality has gone from Linkin Park, where a corporate face has replaced their once pained eyes that inspired and related to thousands of teens across the world. The album stays on the shelf untouched for me. It is obvious, though we may want to deny it, that Linkin Park has sold themselves out for the money of mainstream pop. Because at the end of the day, the thing produced from their rock and Jay-Z's so-called r'n'b is just another pop album with little meaning and high society status. It angers me to think that bad things happen to good bands, but it will, and has. Linkin Park has failed us. Although the songs are all passable as they contain some of LP's old style, they are nowhere near what they used to be, and disappointingly, we must again look to the past for what we once knew as quality music. // 4

Collision Course Reviewed by: Stonerpmp, on february 18, 2005

Sound: I never really was a big fan of Linkin Park, but time to time liked to listen to them. Overall I think the instramental sound was okay, little weak, but thats not my style of music anyways a 3 for effort. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics? Sucked ass. I watched Linkin Park and Jay-Z sing there new album on tv and I asked my self, "what the f--k?" First you got to ask yourself, "Linkin Park, doing so good with there alternate wannabe metal msuic" and then they added Jay-Z, a well known rap artist, and think about how Linkin Park some how got onto the "metal" list at best buy, and how they made an album with Jay-Z, wtf? This album didn't have any real meaning to it, like bands such as Lamb Of God and Led Zeppelin. // 4

Overall Impression: My overall impression lets play frezby with the disc. It sucked, a seel out wannabe metal band with a rap artist? Who's going to buy that crap let alone listen to it for 5 minutes? To be honest, I didn't listen to it long enough to give an accurate reveiw, but I listened to enough to know it sucked. If I owned this album, and it got stolen, I'd feel sorry for ruining the guys high hopes of somthing good, and go out and buy (Pink Floyd) The Wall. // 2

Collision Course Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on november 30, 2004

Sound: At first a thought I wasn't going to like this album because I am not really into rap or Jay-Z for that matter and Linkin Park is my favorite band. To me this album sort of just sounded like an extension of Linkin Park's Reanimation album just with a bigger name rap artist. The album to me doesn't sound all that well put together and again it might just be me but it doesn't sound like a lot of effort went into the album. But the album has its low points and high points as I will show. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely this albums strong point. Even though I am not a huge fan of Jay-Z his lyrics are nicely put together. Again with some songs Jay-Z's voice sound totally out of place (ie. Big Pimpin'/Papercut) but in other tracks it sounds amazingly good (like in Points Of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer & Izzo/In The End). // 10

Overall Impression: This album isn't as good as I hoped and does not compare to Linkin Park's previous albums I don't think there was any real need to release this as a CD, I think just as a DVD would have been better. I think the best songs on the album are Izzo/In the End & Points Of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closure. The thing a like about the album that it is very different from what I expected (I didn't have the highest hopes for this album). The thing I didn't like about the album was really the whole concept I have never really been a fan of songs that have been re-done or made over. If this CD was lost or stolen I'm not sure I would buy it again because I do not think it is the great of CD. // 6

Collision Course Reviewed by: Biohazard, on december 02, 2004

Sound: This cd is freaking amazing. Who knew Linkin Park and Jay-Z would sound so godly together? The best part to me is the guitar/bass riffs during Jay-Z's rap parts. Jay-Z was one of the few rappers I actually liked and I always said to myself "man this guy would be better with guitars and crap" and my wish has now come true. You can even hear Phoenix (LP bassist) Bustin out some licks during Jay-Z's rap songs. It's a grand album. // 10

Lyrics: The way that they blended the lyrics together was amazing. I really did enjoy the lyrics of this album. The only downside would have to be mike singing Jay-Z's lyrics on 99 Problems on the dvd. I mean, mike is an ok rapper, but Jay-Z sounds so much better. Also, Chester experiences with more styles than just screaming. I can only give this a 4 because Mike's vocals just kill me. // 8

Overall Impression: This album rises above all of Linkin Park's albums in terms of innovation. I can't really say anything about Jay-Z though because I haven't heard all of his albums. I can definately say that this album might be the best work I've heard from both artists. I love each and every song, but they could've added more than just 6. Still, this album will be heard frequently from my headphones. The best song would have to be Points Of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer on the cd because mike's rapping skills on the dvd can't measure up to Jay-Z. if this was ever stolen or lost, I would the person down and poop on their face, then get a new copy. // 10

Collision Course Reviewed by: linkinpark821, on december 02, 2004

Sound: Collision Course is a creative blend of Jay-Z and Linkin Park. The two sounds mesh together very well in most of the songs, creating an interesting and fresh approach to each song. While some songs like Izzo/In The End and Big Pimpin'/Papercut sound a bit awkward, Collision Course takes two completely different songs and combines them into one great song. Dirt Off Your Shoulders/Lying From You were begging to be mashed due to their similar beats. What results from that mix is perhaps the best song on the album. Jigga What/Faint is another standout song that jumped out at me as an awesome song. Despite a couple problems, Collision Course creates an great sound. // 8

Lyrics: With the exception of Izzo/In The End, the lyrics from one song transplant well to the beat of another. Dirt off your shoulder/Lying From You is a perfect example of this. Linkin Park is known for its deep and personal lyrics and they did a good job combining songs that have similar moods to them (Numb/Encore). With Linkin Park's fantastic lyrics and Jay-Z's rhythmic rhymes, the lyrics on Collision Course are nothing below the high standards of each band. // 10

Overall Impression: Just the pure fact that Jay-Z and Linkin Park collaborated makes Collision Course exciting. The meshing of the two sounds is something new for fans of both Linkin Park and Jay-Z. Overall, Collision Course serves as an awesome interlude between Meteora and Linkin Park's next album, and is an incredible creation of two outstanding talents. // 8

Collision Course Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2004

Sound: Very interesting blend. It sounds like it was made by some DJ mixing these songs together. That is pretty much what 95% of the album is, although I know they did go in and rerecord everything for this album. But it is still a very fun listen and well done. If you the Linkin Park Projekt Revolution concerts, they would have DJ's doing something like this too, like mixing DMX with Nirvana, which is very interesting. // 8

Lyrics: Jay-Z lyrics are a step up from the Linkin Park rap lyrics. Jay can really deliver, this guy never runs out of 'ammo'. Mike is decent, but doesn't quite dish it out as slick as Jay. This is comin from someone who is a much bigger Linkin Park. I would have liked Chester to have more parts that are just not the same ol' chorus. // 8

Overall Impression: You know you've listened to these songs before, but somehow it sounds so fresh together. I don't think it is innovative as Reanimation, however, they didnt have a year to work on it. Collision Course was made in a course of four days! Just imagine how much more awesome it would sound if they had proper town to rewrite some of the stuff and remix it properly! Still, the raw material from both these acts are so great and "mash" together so beautifully, that they do sound better than many of the tracks on Reanimation. // 8

Collision Course Reviewed by: ice princess, on february 02, 2006

Sound: This is definately one of the best albums out there. New mixes and new twists to old songs might change some of Linkin Park fans minds about buying the album but trust me when I say it's worth it. In the album itself they input the making-of. It's pretty cool. The style they use in this latest edition to the Linkin Park album colection is pretty much the same style they've used in older c. d's but with the new added twist of Jay-Z. They also mix Jay-Z's music with Linkin Parks music. So, if Linkin Park is singing, let's say 'Numb', they'd be singing with the same lyrics except with the music of Jay-Z's song 'Encore'. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in here are the same old songs in Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Jay-Z's songs are also the same old same. Nothing new when it comes to lyrics. The compliance of the lyrics with the music is done increadibly well. It brings a whole new taste of rock meeting hip-hop. Definately in singing wise, awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to any other album that Linin Park has set out to market. The most impressive song from the album has to be Numb/Encore. I love pretty much everything this album has to offer. If my Linkin Park vs. Jay-Z disc were stolen or lost I'd definately buy it again. That's how good it is. // 10

Collision Course Reviewed by: hendo2000, on april 13, 2006

Sound: Any Linkin Park fans who liked Hybrid Theory and Meteora will long for a third great album. Sadly, this definitely isn't it. This album basically takes some of the best Linkin Park songs and turns them from the great nu-metal sound that makes Linkin Park such an amazing band to a pretty nasty metal/hip-hop/R'n'B mash-up. It might have worked better with another rapper, I can't say for sure, but Jay-Z just doesn't sound good mixed with Linkin Park. Overall, the album is basically Linkin Park with far too much of a hip-hop/rap sound. The only real credit I can give to this album is that it's a pretty good idea, I can only hope that if they try it again it will sound better. // 5

Lyrics: Fortunately, the lyrics are still pretty good. After all, these are some of Linkin Park's best songs. The lyrics do actually flow with the music well, even Jay-Z's rapping, so it is catchy even though the sound of the music itself isn't that great. I would've preferred to more from hear Mike and Chester, since their lyrics beat the hell out of Jay-Z's. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a really big step down for Linkin Park; their other two albums were fantastic, but this is a real knock back. Instead of producing this album, they should've really spent the time working on a third independent album to keep their fans going. 'Numb/Encore' is the only song I can really listen to on the album without literally having to force myself to. As well as that, even if the songs themselves were incredible, the album's far, far too short. I know it says on the review page that there are 23 songs, but there aren't: if you went out to your nearest music shop and found Collision Course (I hope you don't), you'd find that it only has six songs. That's not an album, it's barely an EP. Basically, unless you like both Linkin Park and Jay-Z, and want to see them both put together poorly, don't get this album. Keep your money and buy Linkin Park's new album when it comes out. // 3

Comments