Vivid Review

living colour: Vivid
Release Date: 1988
Label: Epic
Genres: College Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Album Rock
Generally classified as hard rock, Vivid also contains touches of funk and even jazz, which keeps things interesting.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
Vivid Reviewed by: SuicidalFreak, on may 14, 2007

Sound: I can't believe no one has reviewed this album at all. Well, Living Colour, who is still one of my favorite bands today, has always been a "funk metal" staple since they released their debut album "Vivid" nearly 20 years ago. In my opinion, "Vivid" is a classic Living Colour record to date. You gotta love the songs like "The Cult of Personality", "Funny Vibe" and "Glamour Boys", they're all classics and worth listening to as well. Vernon Reid's guitar sounds are awesome and Muzz Skillings' bass sounds are kinda awesome too, but funky like Stanley Clarke, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea, Primus' Les Claypool and then-Suicidal Tendencies' Robert Trujillo. You see I didn't know who Living Colour was until the day I saw MTV play the video of "The Cult of Personality", then I bought the album around '88 or '89. // 10

Lyrics: I don't see whether the lyrics on this album are really bad or not. They're just quite what you'd expect of a band featuring African musicians, but in any roundabout way the lyrics are quite memorable and some are not. My personal favorite song for lyrics would have to be "The Cult of Personality", because I find that the lyrics very interesting about life, history, society and whatever Corey Glover was saying about in the song. If you listen to "Funny Vibe", you could also hear the Public Enemy duo, Flavor Flav and Chuck D, sing in the song. // 10

Overall Impression: I might compare this album to anything by Fishbone, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 24-7 Spyz, Primus, Faith No More or Jane's Addiction. Really, "Vivid" is a classic release and shows a glimpse of the greatness to come in the band's future of their career. You should also check out it's follow-up "Time's Up" and the "Biscuits" EP as well, I don't think they're also classics, but they're still a great releases. Living Colour is just one unique example of a band that makes their music funkier. If the CD copy was lost, I could buy another, but don't worry, I always take good care of my CDs. // 10

Vivid Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on november 18, 2013

Sound: Living Colour were one of the earliest examples of the funk sub-genre known as funk metal and though the style of funk metal varies drastically between artists - bands classified in the list of notable funk metallers include Limp Bizkit, Primus and the original lineup of the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Living Colour are one of the groups that sound closest to what the uninitiated would most likely assume a funk metal band sounds like. A heavier, almost Van Halen-esque guitar sound, a noticeably louder drummer than standard funk music, fun bass lines and a guy with a really, really good singing ability. That is what Living Colour are, in the easiest way I can explain it. // 9

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are good, better than a lot of lyrics I've heard, but at the same time, they're not the highlight of this album. If you're a fan of Funk music lyricists, you won't be dissapointed and if you're not, then you probably won't become a fan just from listening to this one single album. The guitar work is nice. I compared Living Colour's guitarist Vernon Reid to Eddie Van Halen earlier in this review and in my opinion, he has an almost exactly equivalent level of skill. I would also say that some of the guitar playing sounds eerily like David Lee Roth-era VH, but that's not really a bad thing as it fits well with the rest of what's going on. The bass lines are fun, I wouldn't call it the best bass work ever, but it's interestingly cool. The drummer, now I have seen this band live, he could probably outplay most straight-up Metal drummers. As for the vocals, I can't figure out a way to describe the singer's voice, but I can say that he sounds like a cross between a standard Funk singer and one of the few Hair Metal frontmen who could actually sing. // 10

Overall Impression: I saw these guys open for Joe Satriani and they were surprisingly good. I was amazed that they could perform so completely well, being that they've been around with mainly the same lineup for 25 years. A lot of the songs that they played were off of this album and I can safely say that the live renditions were quite a bit better than the studio recordings. My point is, "Vivid" is a great album, but Living Colour put on such amazing live shows that, unless, like myself, you really, really enjoy this particular genre of music, then honestly, you'd be better off going to one of the many events the band is performing at and judging whether or not you would buy any of their albums based on that. // 9

More Living Colour reviews rating latest review