Ahead Of The Lions Review

living things: Ahead Of The Lions
Release Date: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Jive/Zomba
Genres: Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock, Hard Rock
Ahead of the Lions isn't a retro, New York punk record -- this is a hard rock album.
 7.8
 6.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Ahead Of The Lions Reviewed by: Diamond_Brad51, on february 17, 2006

Sound: This album by The Living Things is straight-up rock & roll. It is a very aggressive, rebellious, and energetic album. Truth be told it was originally released in the UK in 2004 under the name Black Skies In Broad Daylight. Ahead of the Lions falls under rock, but, the styles of music on the album are varied from Punk Revival to post-grunge to alternative pop/rock. It really makes for a good album, the fact that you could enjoy it just about anywhere. Living Things really prove that "rock & roll as urgent, trashy, and fiery can actually be thoughtful articles of democracy and righteous rebellion. But whatever you may be thinking this is not a "retro, New York punk record." The track March in Daylights is considered to have elements of garage psychedelia and LA rock blitz. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing on Ahead of the Lions. Every song being written by Lillian Berlin with the help of the rest of the band. The song I Owe is very well written and very infectous. It runs down a list of the political and ideological misfortunes of the country, while amazingly proclaiming the virtues of love. Bom Bom Bom is the radio hit at the moment. The song states "We're gonna take this city tonight/We're gonna shake this city/'Till broad daylight." The lyrics on the album as well as the feel is very anti-war oriented. // 10

Overall Impression: Ahead of the Lions is an entirely cohesive album. Since it is the bands first release, I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5. The future looks real bright for this band. When it comes to the most impressive tracks on the album I would have to say: Bombs Below, Bom Bom Bom, I Owe and March In Daylight. There is alot that you could love and hate about this album. Depending on who you are you might not like Lillian Berlins' voice. You may think it is to low. I think it is the right tone to get the point across, and it fits well with the sound. It might be to pop/rock for straight up rock fans, but it really gets the point across as being a very well-rounded album. I don't know if I would buy it again, I mean its good but its really a fiscal situation as apposed to how good the cd is. // 9

Comments