Don't Cry Wolf Review

london: Don't Cry Wolf
Released: Aug 2, 1986
Genre: Glam Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Metalhead
Overall this album is a 80s metal classic. I love the rare down and dirty sound of the music and vocals giving the album that powerful in your face vibe.
 7.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Don't Cry Wolf Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2013

Sound: In the 1980s L.A.'s Sunset Strip with filled with the hair bands of the decade. Bands like Poison, Great White, Ratt, Dokken, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, and many more fought to not only survive but to do everything and anything to be notice by major labels and get that chance at a record contract. One of those bands was London the from in 1978 and was the debut band for then unknown future Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx. London became known jokingly as the "Rock Star Training Camp" with W.A.S.P.'s Blackie Lawless, Cinderella's Fred Coury, and Guns N' Roses' Izzy Stradlin and Slash all being members of the band sometime before they became the rock stars they are today. In 1985, London released their debut album "Non-Stop Rock" and was quickly followed up by 1986's "Don't Cry Wolf". When it comes to the sound of this album you can that these boys are straight from the L.A. scene. Even the quality of the audio sounds more like a demo than an album (ex. Metallica's "Kill 'Em All") each song delivers that hard edge punch most early-mid 80s metal bands had. Lizzie Grey, being the only original member left at this time, has this powerful guitar sound give the album a feel that most hair metal didn't have in 1986. He's guitar work marries perfectly with the keyboard work of David Carr giving the songs that extra kick to lock you in. Now if you're a person like myself who likes listening to music as loud as possible with the bass turned up you'll notice the thundering rhythm section. Bassist Brian West and drummer Wailin' J. Morgan are without a doubt not the greatest musicians in the world, but these two help make this album what it is. Both guys give each song that energy that makes metal fans wanna bang their head and throw their fists up pounding away to the beat. Even though this album has all the sound qualities that make a great metal record the quality of the tracks may upset. Depending on your audio setup you might find distortion in the song once vocal Nadir D'Priest starts singing. Like I said though it depends on your setup I notice it when I listen to it through headphones but not on my stereo. // 7

Lyrics: At this point in London's line-up history the band had vocalist Nadir D'Priest as their frontman. Now if you've the 1988 film "Decline Of Western Civilizations Part II: The Metal Years" and not heard their albums the entire band including D'Priest seemed like they weren't a band I was too impressed about especially with vocalist D'Priest. Seeing the film did make me wanna check out of the albums out to really get an idea on D'Priest's skills. After hearing the album and D'Priest's vocal style he is one of the best and I feel underrated singers that came out of that Sunset Strip scene. He has a powerful, unique voice. He voice is nothing like most 80s hair metal frontman giving him a straight metal like Ronnie James Dio and John Bush (Armored Saint) with a clean high range that hair metal vocalists needed. The song that impressed me most was how he sang the The Beatles cover "Oh! Darling". Due to the style of his voice he was able to make it his own rather than going out of his comfort zone like some singers are known to do. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is a 80s metal classic. The only thing is wish was a little better is the audio quality. I do not have the on actual CD I downloaded so the audio quality of it on the download could've been the issue. Like I said though this is one of the those rare edge 80s metal albums that any 80s metalhead should check if you haven't listened to this album before. If you are looking to buy it I haven't had any luck finding it stores, but like it says above you can find it online as a download and the entire album is on YouTube. Just search "London - Don't Cry Wolf (FULL ALBUM)" and you be able to check it out right there. I can easily say this is one of my favorite albums of all time. I love the rare down and dirty sound of the music and vocals giving the album that powerful in your face vibe.

// 9