Los Lonely Boys Review

los lonely boys: Los Lonely Boys
Released: Mar 30, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Roots Rock, Tex-Mex, Conjunto, Norteo
This glorious, dark, and steamy diamond is most definitely a contender for debut album of the year.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.7
 9.6
 9.8
Los Lonely Boys Reviewed by: tdacdc, on august 11, 2004

Sound: The style of this CD is Texican Blues. A cross between Mexican and Texas Blues. All of the songs are sung in English except for one, but the songs have mixed languages. Meaning he could go from singing in english one second to singing in Mexican the next. This CD is heavily influenced by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Richie Valens and Santana. Also this Cd displays excellent guitar playing, expecially for blues guitar right now. Also they have a great bassist, who plays the six-string bass, and they also have a greta drummer. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the songs are either about a woman, a relationship, or religion. The music really fits with the lyrics, for example on La Contestacion, which is a Mexian Ballad, the keyboard playing is very soothing with the singing. The song is sounds very pretty. Also Henry, guitar Player , and brother Jojo, bassist, have voices that blend very nicely together. Jojo has a voice that is very calm and soothing and Henry has a more raspy sounding voice. // 8

Overall Impression: Yes this album compares to my others, the Los Lonley Boys are a great new band. With their influences of Texas Blues and Mexican music they make it their own. The most impressive songs from the album are Heaven, Holywood, More than love, Nobody Else, and Onda. What I love about this album is that there is a good variety of songs. The only thing I hate about this album is that when they sing in Mexican I cannot understand what they are saying. I would by this Cd again if it were stolen mainly because it is like no other CD in my collection. // 10

Los Lonely Boys Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on february 07, 2006

Sound: It was nice to finally hear something on the radio worth listening to. At first, I didn't know what to think when I heard "Heaven" on the radio, but then it hit me. I realized, that for the first time in years, the blues had started to make a comeback. Since Stevie Ray Vaughn and ZZ Top and even Santana started to fade in the early/mid '90s, it's been hard to find a good group that can hit those quick blues licks and control both rhythm and lead fluidly on just one instrument. Although this may be a bit of a new sound to many people, since A the blues aren't that popular among today's radio-mongers and very few people will actually see the talent that lies in these young men. I on the other hand, saw that these guys might actually bring a whole new generation of blues-rockers to the stage. There's a great deal of style that I could talk about, but I'll just go over the basics. Henry Garza is a wonderful guitarist, and a very creative one at that. His skillful blending of SRV-esque licks and Santana like rhythms with Spanish based guitar shows that he has no limit to his unique style. And I'd also like to add that it's nice to see somebody use a wah-wah pedal as effectively as he does, since many songs with wah effects have been abused over the last few years. The emotion that goes into Henry's playing shines through on all the songs. // 10

Lyrics: Solid, soulful and very, very bluesy. That's how you can describe the vocals and lyrics of the Brothers Garza. I'm happy to see that these brothers can share the spotlight, alternate vocals and still play like it was nothing. All the songs have a real blues quality to them, dealing with real emotions put into real words. From "Senorita," dealing with the flirty ladies, to "Velvet Sky," a classic lover's lament, they all show the deep side of the blues, and a very raw power only seen in the masters like King or Gibbons. How could I forget the radio favorites? "Heaven," a wonderful little ditty that almost refreshes your beliefs in the Powers That Be, and "More Than Love," another tasteful ballad. This album is full of great lyrics and smooth vocals. My only complaint is that "Onda," a very beautiful song, is mainly in Spanish, so it was hard for me to understand, seeing as I'm kind of challenged in foreign languages. But overall, it was a great listen (and the Johnny Cash cover made it all worthwhile). // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think you can find any other band that can match the Lonely Boys' talent. It's hard just to find a good blues band nowadays, period. But these guys show how hard work, emotion and dedication can pay off and create a beautiful masterpiece. These guys have impressed me, using such a simple and raw form of music and turning it into a cultural shock is just one of those feats you don't happen to see everyday. I love a clean or dirty Strat tone, and love 6 string bass lines and I adore drumming that compliments the band, so I'd have to love these guys. I don't think they could do anything wrong with this album, which oozes with Santana and Vaughn and even Albert King influences. If this was stolen, I'd have to have it back, because it is an essential part of my blues collection. I don't think anybody's blues collection would be complete without this, since they are the future for the blues guitarists of the future. An added bonus, if you buy the special addition, is a DVD filled with three music videos and a full acoustic performance of many of the wonderful tunes on this album, as well as insight into the creation process of Los Lonely Boys. This album is a must-have, so rush out to your nearest CD retailer and get this now. // 10

Los Lonely Boys Reviewed by: Matt Montoya, on may 01, 2006

Sound: The sound of Los Lonely Boys is a mixture, where Carlos Santana meets the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, an it proves to be one of the greatest combos in history. The guitar playing of Henry Garza is comparable to Eric Clapton, even Jimi Hendrix, and the solos he plays are not for novices. Also, Jojo, the bass player sings in one of the best songs, "Crazy Dream". Ringo (it is his real name) is on drums. Probably the best thing about the album is that you can play the whole thing without getting bored. However I didn't really like the last song, "La Contestacion". This album has a good sound with mixtures of rock, blues, Tex-Mex, and one or two songs with a Ritchie Valens feel. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are for the most part good. They aren't as good as Bob Dylan or Jackson Browne, but still good. I might be missing out though, because I can't understand all of the lyrics in Spanish. There are some songs that have very talented songwriting, both lyrically, and musically, like "Hollywood" or "Heaven". "Hollywood" is an example of a song style only Los Lonely Boys could write. "Heaven" is particularly good, not only for the lyrics, but the solo gives a felling of the guitar styles of Dickey Betts of The Allman Brothers Band. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a very good album. One of the best I've heard, and the best debut album. It has great solos, heard in "Heaven", "Crazy Dream", "Hollywood", "Seorita" and more. It has good opening intro's, heard in "Nobody Else", "Hollywood", and "Seorita". It has one of the best outros I've heard in the song "Hollywood", and the entire album is just good music. Los Lonely Boys are probably the best band to come out sense Los Lobos, and the only way to say it, they're awesome. You should get this album from Los Lonely Boys, straight out of San Angelo, Texas. // 10

More Los Lonely Boys reviews rating latest review