Liberation Transmission Review

lostprophets: Liberation Transmission
Release Date: Jun 27, 2006
Label: Columbia
Genres: Hard Rock
This is the third album from these Welsh rockers and it's a more radio-friendly effort with little screaming.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 7.7
 8.1
 7.3
Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: Stevie B, on june 19, 2006

Sound: This is the third album from these Welsh rockers and it's a more radio-friendly effort with little screaming, and some strange little "anthemic" parts added in. This has the same sort of tone as previous records but you can tell the production has done a lot to make it sound the way it does. I noticed some elements of funk in the guitar work which sounded a bit out of place. However the guitar solo on 4 Am Forever kinda makes up for that, even if its nothing special. Instead of having a heavier more hardcore song than the rest of the album (We Are Godzilla You Are Japan) towards the end, this time they have gone softer. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics go along the lines of breaking away from a place and "screaming your heart out" as well as the usual break up songs and the theme gets repetitive. There are some oohs, ahhs and do do do do's in songs which also seem out of place compared to the previous Lostprophets albums. The lyrics fit the music fairly well and the singers voice also sounds like it has improved. At some points it seems like the lyrics have been put in purely for a crowd to sing along which will please some people but to me makes it seem like unless you are listening to them live you are missing out on something. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said before this is a more poppy Lostprophets and I prefer the first 2 albums from them. Some songs seem over produced and I was dissapointed at the lack of screaming or heavy songs. The best songs on the album are Rooftops, Town Called Hipocrisy and 4 Am Forever. I like the fact that the melodies are still strong here but I don't like the fact that they have lost their heavy element. If stolen or lost I wouldnt get this again as its been over produced in my opinion. // 7

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: ripblade, on june 23, 2006

Sound: Venomous Pop-Punk-Metal with attitude. That is how I'd describe this album. Firstly I'd like to set it straight that I have been a huge fan of 'prophets since the beginning. I love FSOP and SS, each of which get regular listens every week. This album's sound is very different to previous efforts it is a much more pop orientated record but still retains the lostprophets' foundations and "Us against them" attitude. When I first listened through I was a little shocked and like WTF? But on repeated listens it began to sink it's teeth in and have it's cannibalistic way with me. Now I'm absolutely loving it! Don't get me wrong, this is undeniable radio-friendly pop-punk-metal. But instead of being crappy bland radio-rock ballards each one of these songs are filled with enough f--k you style attitude Love us, or hate us, we don't care! that you can't help but to jump up and dance/sing with it. Each track is well structured with awesome verses and unashamedly-catchy sing along choruses. My favourite tracks are 'Everyday Combat', the album opener with an awesome drum beat and riff that grabs you from the instant it starts until the end where Ian Watkins screams Don't think your safe, cos it's not over! 'A New Transmission' is a fast paced punk-metal sing-along that you can't help but rock out to. Your shattered ground just drags me down, cos there's no sun when you're around! I love it. If I had more time I'd write what I love about all the tracks but I haven't so I just chose my two favourites. But every song on this album just dances the hell out of you. There is great variation on this album, no riff sounds the same and each one is equally as good. They are simple but you'll be tapping along to everyone! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this album varies. The majority of the chorus lyrics are relatively simple Everybody's Screamin! We're only bleeding! (And Repeat) But this is not necessarily a bad thing as they are suppose to be catchy and easy to sing-along to anthems! And over-complicated lyrics wouldn't serve that purpose. Shakespeare it ain't, but who wants it to be? Many of the lyrics focus around similar themes of love and This is who we are, and if you don't like it, we don't care! // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album! Musically this is a lot tamer then FSOP, no screaming (but a lot of shouting and sing-along stadium choruses). Every song on this album is potentially a single (to quote 'All Killer No Filler'). Every track has been produced to a very high quality, with multiple layers and a perfectionist polish shining on every track. This album is going to be huge! Rocking out for the guys and dancing for the girls. This is a must have album and I'd definitely buy it again! But a word of warning if you're already a fan of Lostprophets do not expect anything like the first album. Approach it with an open mind and if you can accept the fact that it is more 'poppy' your going to love it! I know I do! // 10

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2006

Sound: Sound? Everyday Combat has various flashes of We Are Godzilla in it, but the throaty bits are done by a studio bloke anyway, and not a band member. Awesome riff though, shame the rest of the album isn't this rifftastic. Ian's vocals have got better, but remember, these are studio dubbed vocals, and anyone can sound good in the studio. When live, he hasn't got the greatest voice, I don't think. Anyway, this album's not anywhere near as heavy as Fake Sound Of Progress, or Start Something. The songs are of lesser quality, but more single potential, if you see what I mean. Basically, they've sold out a little. And no, not 'cos of the hair either.To be honest, the first six songs are okay, but tracks 7, and 10-12 are quite frankly awful. The last one sounds like a Snow Patrol record. No offence to them, but Prophets aren't an indie band. But basically, if you're a little Emo, and like a singalong, then buy this album. Bob Rock's over-produced the drums (surprised) and the production is dubious at times. And the bass is either full whack, or non-existent. Overall, sounding okay though. // 7

Lyrics: Firstly, to whoever printed the lyrics in the sleeve, you talk on MSN too much. That's awful, I was so shocked to see how they were written up. Everyday Combat's lyrics are good, very imaginative. A Town Called Hypocrisy has too much la-la-la-ing in it. Can't Catch Tomorrow has too much do-do-do-ing in it. There are too many gang chants/stadium vocals or whatever. Sounded good in Last Train Home. I think you have to compare this album to that song, to be honest. They've got all the songs to sound like LTH. 4AM Forever's lyrics are okay, not very well laid out though, but I like the guitar solo. Would go down well live, and in an Unplugged-style gig with acoustic guitars and slight distortion. Watkins is sounding okay, but the vocals have been over produced. The lyrics are quite Emo, about cutting wrists, make up, haircuts, shoes, losing loved ones and torn up letters. Slight Blink influence in the title of track 8, I think too. Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters And The Story Of A Lonely Girl. And what the f--k is "Andie, You Goonie" about on Gotta Date With Hate? // 6

Overall Impression: A good mix between lyrics and sound, and I recently bought it again, as dodgy as the record is, it really does grow on you. The most impressive song is Everyday Combat. As classic Prophets as you'll get on Liberation Transmission. It's undeniably a record for 14 year old girls, but it is shockingly catchy, and like I say, grows on you a hell of a lot. Just hope Bob Rock doesn't produce album number 4, because he's an overrated producer. // 8

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: silverymetaller, on july 01, 2006

Sound: Liberation Transmission begins with Everyday Combat. The album is mainly about "break the way/ make a change". The guitar riffs at the beginning of Everyday Combat fits the whole album prefectly. It's just like "bringing you into a new generation". I have to admit that the Lostprophets do go a little "poppy" this time. But don't get me wrong, they still rock! The guitar in Everyday Combat, 4am Forever, Heaven For The Weather, Hell For The Company are totally worth-listening. If you still go for those heavier ones, I suggest you to listen Heaven For The Weather, Hell For The Company or Everybodys Screaming. If you like Sway in Start Something, I bet you would also like 4am Forever. // 8

Lyrics: Overall, the whole album is about the negative side of people. They tried to write about different "situations" instead of only saying "change the old way, hate this or hate that, etc". Lyrically, A Town Called Hypocrisy is my favourite. It's about a person who was fooled, but now he/she is moving on. "Save Your Sympathy" is just the best part of the whole song. Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters And The Story Of A Lonely Girl, another song I like very much. I think most people can relate to it 'cause everyone must have been hurt before. // 9

Overall Impression: Liberation Transmition is Lostprophets' third album. As a Lostprophets fan, I've been waiting it for a long time. It doesn't let me disappointed. I like most of the songs in it. There are more songs about love than the past 2 albums. besides that, this album has similar theme with the old ones. Everyday Combat, Town Called Hypocrisy, Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters And The Story Of A Lonely Girl, Heaven For The Weather, Hell For The Company, 4 AM Forever are must-listen. This CD is still in my CD player since the first day I bought it, so if it was stolen, I would definitely go to buy a new one and put it back to my Lostprophets CD collection. // 9

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: sad.rock.444, on july 13, 2006

Sound: At first listen, I was personally disappointed with the direction the band had taken. I loved Start Something and was hoping they'd taked some of the more creative aspects af that record and amped it up a bit. However, they took the opposite route. The song structures are more conventional. I heard "Rooftops" on the radio and liked it a lot for the fact that it had such a great, singable melody. As I listened to the record more, however, I realized that that is a trait that runs throughout the whole record and makes it more enjoyable. I think it's what pulls the whole album together, especially on tracks such as "A Town Called Hypocrisy". Also, there are some cool harmonies that are put to use, as well as more backup singing (Can't Catch Tomorrow). As soon as I got past the fact that it wasn't really like "Start Something" and that it went the "poppy" route, I realized it had much more potential than the initial response. My favorite tracks on the album are "Everyday Combat," "A Town Called Hypocrisy," "Rooftops," and "Can't Catch Tomorrow." // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this record pretty much possess the same attitude that was present on the last albums, except softened a little. Also, more "broken heart/breakup" stuff that we're a little too used to is there. Most of it doesn't bother me at all, except the last track "Always All Ways." Personally, this song makes me sick and doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. Some parts of other songs have similar lyrics, but they're not really that bad as long as you're willing to overlook them. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said before, Start Something is personally my favorite Lostprophets album, but this is not a disappointment. The group still has their same charm, you just have to get used to the changes. If you listen carefully, you can find that thought was actually put into the songwriting. I love the strong melodies and the guitar solos (which are very enjoyable and flashy). If this was stolen or lost, I would probably spend my money on something else and burn a new copy. But if I couldn't burn it, I would consider buying it again. // 8

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: LSPapercutAP, on july 14, 2006

Sound: This album is extremely good. Out of all of thier albums I would have to put this 1 second, just becuase Start Something was the greatest album ever produced. Lead Singer Ian Watkin's voice has improved from previos albums. The 1st song on the album, Everyday Combat, resembles the Fake Sound of Progress, and Start Something with its heavy sound and screaming (don't know how else to say it) All of the other songs on the album are all kind of from a new direction. I've heard people complaining that this album was pop, However I beg differ. This is simply just a lighter side of them that we havn't seen yet. And even though the album is a little softer it still kicks ass with its catchy lyrics, awsome beats, great guitar riffs, and that unique lostprophets style. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very good. For one they are catchy, which is great when u want to sing along with them. Also, Ian's skillz at singing have definately improved. The only thing I do wish they had more of was the screaming like in We Still Kill the Old Way, Start Something, Shinobi Vs. Dragon Ninja, and We Still Kill the Old Way. But even though they lack this, they are still good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is like no other. I think that the Lostprophets have kind of created a genre of thier own, that no 1 else can really match, unless you were to copy them. If you wanted to put them in a genre (which I don't approve of) the closest thing would probably be Nu-Metal. The most impressive songs on this album, I really enjoy all of them. Rooftops was the 1st song I heard and I thought it was great, right up thier from Last Summer (thier greatest song) So basically all of the songs are good. What I love about this is album is how unique it is! People are saying that it is pop, but how can that be so? No one else sounds like them. They are not pop BS. What do I hate about this album, nothing, the only disappointment was that it wasn't as good as Start Something, but thats pretty unfair becuase of how amazing Start Something was. If this album was stolen/lost I would buy it again. // 10

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: psycho_scorpyen, on july 14, 2006

Sound: Liberation Transmission is the third album by the welsh rockers so far and in terms of sound it has definitely stepped up from the huge albums of FSOP and SS. The guitar riffs from the two previous albums have evolved into catchy intros and memorable solos. The majority of tracks each have a moment in which everyone listening will think 'I have to learn that riff!' The sound in the songs isn't particularly advanced or simplistic, the songs all have a nice balance so that you wont get bored by twelve minute over the top solos. // 9

Lyrics: This is where the album falls short compared to the other categories, whilst Ian Watkins' voice is fine and definitely top quality, it becomes painfully obvious how much effort went to making this a radio-friendly songs. With emo music being the latest 'thang' lostprophets have definitely changed their image and outlook. whilst the other albums left you with a sense of 'screw anyone that gets in your way' liberation transmission leaves a sense of 'everyones in our way so scream a lot'. The lyrics definitely aren't as emo as most bands lately, and make no mistake, its not just a record of whiny complainers. Its all quite impressive and not something that should stop you from listening. // 7

Overall Impression: There are quite a few tracks which just seem perfect in all aspects, especially on Everyday Combat, the opening to the album and their live shows, there are quite a few anthems in this album. 4am forever is an example of a new anthem, perhaps too reminiscient of Last Summer from Start Something. Although most songs seem to have gotten slower and calmer they're still all above average. Some of the best songs on the album are probably everyday combat, rooftops, 4AM Forever, Always All Ways, Can't Catch Tomorrow. All of them are impressive its actually hard to choose the best. However if this album was stolen or lost I'd probably wait till it became cheaper before I replaced it, though still it's something you should definitely listen to if you ever enjoyed a lostprophets song before. // 9

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: Lostprophets$$$, on august 16, 2006

Sound: Liberation Transmission is the new album by the Lostprophets. They are an alternative band and the new album is slightly more poppy but still has the same heavy riffs and screaming from previous albums. The guitar in the songs has gotten better and there are now impressive solos in the songs which were not frequently seen in the previous records. The drums have changed significantly as well since the arrival of their new drummer. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are catchy and can connect to most people. The singer, Ian Watkins is very talented and the new record shows it very well. The lyrics mix with the music perfectly and they make you rock out, sometimes without even knowing it. They are similar to lyrics from previous songs and can relate to teenage people's problems and how they react. Overall, very good lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is more pop-oriented than previous albums so some old school fans may miss the heavy down-tuned riffs and screaming. The most impressive songs from the album are "Everyday Combat", which is similar to previous songs and has a catchy, heavy riff, and "For All These Times Son, For All These Times", as it has lyrics that make you sing along and clapping that mixes perfectly with the drums. If it was stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: H4602, on december 09, 2006

Sound: The band's sound has matured very much from previous albums, and this shows. The guitars are much more noticalble than on 'Start Something', and songs like 'Everday Combat' and 'A Town Called Hypocrisy' have great guitar riffs, as well as there now being solo's ('4:AM Forever') unlike the previous albums. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics is the thing everyone has been talking about with this album. Some old fans for Lostprophets may not be too happy when they hear some of the songs on this album such as 'Cant Stop Gotta Date with Hate' and 'Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters and the Story of a Lonely Girl', which are much more emo songs than previous albums. Although being emo at points, the lyrics are very catchy and you may find yourself singing them at times when least expected. There is lots of 'Do-do-do-ing' and 'La-la-la-ing' which is also very cathcy. // 7

Overall Impression: 01. Everyday Combat - best opener possible. It's a great song, one of the best on the album. The riff is very heavy and the solo is just awesome. If they could have cut it down a little, it would have been perfect. 02. A Town Called Hypocrisy - the second single to be released from the album. Catchy song that people will enjoy, with a nice riff to go with it. Good choice for a single. 03. The New Transmission - this song would have been good for an opening song, but 'Everyday Combat', I think, is in the right place. This song goes well with the theme of the album. 04. Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast) - the top 10, first single from the album is not my favourite song, but is very popular with people, I don't really have much else to say about it apart from that. 05. Can't Stop, Gotta Date With Hate - this is one of the songs old Lostprophets fans may be unhappy about. A good song, but the chorus is very emo as well as the lyrics. 06. Can't Catch Tommorow (Good Shoes Won't Save You This Time) - the third single to be released from the album, and a very good choice. It is extremley catchy and will be in your head for days after a few listen. One of my favourite songs on the album. 07. Everybodys Screaming - would be a good song live, it has a very 'Shout-a-long' chorus. 08. Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters And The Story Of A Lonely Girl - a good song, but again, this song is much different from previous songs on older albums. All-in-all a good song. 09. 4am Forever - the ballad of the album is easily the best on the CD. Amazing lyrics, pace and solo. 10. For All These Times Son, For All These Times - good cathy song but a bit mainstream. 11. Heaven For The Weather, Hell For The Company - is all I have to say here. 12. Always All Ways (Apologies, Glances And Messed Up Chances) - a very bad way to end the album, and is likely to be very unpopular with old Lostprophets fan. It's a mid-tempo emo song with ok-ish lyrics. Track 8 would have been better to end the album. // 8

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: Oli13Bishop, on april 11, 2007

Sound: The sound of this band has, as many hardcore fans of the previous albums have ranted about, changed. The Lostprophets have definately become less heavy and have tried to appeal to a more mainstream market, and they have achieved this, the recordreached number one in the UK albums chart which is a great achievment for a band of this genre of music. Although the newer, lighter sound of the band has dissappointed the fans of The Fake Sound of Progress and Start Smething, Liberation Transmission has definately attracted new fans as well, especially with airplay on Radio 1, Kerrang! Radio, Virgin and XFM, as well as appearences on TOTP and Radio 1's Live Lounge. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite simple and repetitive. They are anthem lyrics so they're not meant to be diverse, e.g. "Standing On The Rooftops, Everybody Scream Your Heart Out" and "For All These Times, That We Walked Away, For All These Times That I Heard You Say." The simplicity and catchiness of these lyrics do fit in with the more poppy sound. The other lyrics on the album, from 4AM Forever and Allways All Ways (Apologies, Glances and Messed Up Chances) are believed to be about Ian Watkins' Emotional Breakup with TV presenter Heather Mills. // 8

Overall Impression: Although Lostprophets are very unique and diverse, you could compare this record to bands like Funeral for a Friend, Green Day, Fall Out Boy and even Artic Monkeys. There are many good songs on this record, including Everyday Combat, Town Called Hypocrisy, Can't Catch Tomorrow and Everybody's Screaming, however my personal favorite songs are Rooftops, Broken Hearts Torn Up Letters and The Story of A Lonely Girl, and 4AM Forever. With this many great songs and other good ones on the album I would definately buy it again if I lost the CD or if it was stolen (considering that I had not put the songs onto my computer and I could not get the music by other means). As an overall rating I would give this a 9/10, however I doubt that the longer term fans would agree with this as it definately is a diferent sound to previous albums. // 10

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2007

Sound: Alright. First record was heavy and had some serious mosh-pit attitudes. But to evolve it was ok to go to a bit differen sound and there was start SOmething. It sure was way less hard rock and more pop in it, but it had great experimental tracks and just stuff that you wouldn't declare mainstream pop. It was a pop-rock-experimantal record. with a lot of great ideas great lyrics and an awesome vibe. Now here we have Liberation Transmisson. It is just awful. First you like the easy going songs with a lot of sing along choruses, but you get tired so fast of this same same same song over and over again. They lost the mood of the songs they didn't combine lyrics and instrumental parts anymore as they used to on Start Something. Now you can't even really hear the guitarparts anymore there's keys everywhere the songs pumped with shit that makes it impossible for a lover of great bandm usic to hear a real band act here it's more tons of programmed layers making music here. So the sound really is just boring and overdone. // 3

Lyrics: No doubt that Ian Watkins is one hell of a singer. He has such an awesome voice as we were able to hear on TFSOP and on SS. Of course you can't say he's bad here, but you can't get it out of your head how the words come together. there are overdubbing and choruses with a osund like a whole arena is shouting, sorry singing at you as he doesn't shout anymore. And what he sings is ok. The lyrics seem to go along with the happy pop music well. Although you can't expect any further great statements than "oh my I'm so lonely, oh I don't like your style, oh my parents hate my looks". Mediocre. // 5

Overall Impression: Compared to the first two records this is just crap. For itself if you wouldn't know what the lostprophets are actually capable of it's a good fun record for those who don't care that this osunds not like a band but a produced boygroup with one isnger and the rest eyecandy. None of the osngs really stands out for itself. They all sound like they could be on the radio or shown on MTV, but that's what makes it boring the same crappy upbeat stuff over and over again without a change in pace. I hate that the band reduced themselves to such a low and boring level and didn't pursue to make naother great record like Start Something. If it were stolen I'd never buy it again. In fact I'm gonna go out and leave it somewhere now, so somebody else has to listen to this. // 3

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: Ben Wright, on november 20, 2007

Sound: Lostprophets seem to have generated into a more lighter rock band with the release of album, Liberation Transmission. The whole sound has seemed to change from the metal we used to hear in their other albums such as 'The Fake Sound Of Progress' and 'Start Something' maybe for the better, maybe for the worst. The music itself though was still catchy and gets you playing their tracks over again. A good album overall but still room for minor improvements. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of the new album seem to have very deep meaning but are no longer metal in my opinion, they seem to have changed into more emo lyrics which are not the type of band Lostprophets are. The lyrics do however fit with the music very well and show a deep meaning that is well thought of. Ian Watkins voice is still as strong as it has been in the last albums they have done, not changing a great deal. // 8

Overall Impression: It can't really compare to all the other albums that they have released due to the fact that they changed their style completely, from Metal to Pop-rock. However it still has some brilliant and well-thought up songs. Some of the better and more impressive songs on the album are ones such as 'A Town Called Hypocrisy', 'Rooftops', '4'AM Forever' and 'Always All Ways.' These seem to liven up the album and boost it's overall appeal to it's buyers. I really like how the lyrics and songs are deeply thought about and how all the songs seem to have a definite story line behind them. However I dislike how they have changed their sound from the Metal band we used to listen to in the earlier days. My overall impression of this album is taken up by mixed emotions. There are some definite good points but on the other hand, some bad ones. // 7

Liberation Transmission Reviewed by: dandyhandy17, on august 01, 2008

Sound: The Welsh band's new album Liberation Transmission, is Lostprophets 3rd album and in my opinion, their best one yet. On the cover of the album, the Latin pharse "nobis pro lemma vobis", translate into "For Us, For Them, For You" which was a lyric taken from the song "Burn Burn" from their last album. "Everyday Combat," has a bit of more aggresive style. "4'am Forever" is an extremely emotional song where "Always All Ways," is more happy. The rest of the songs has a great rockstyle in a "Lostprophets" way. // 9

Lyrics: In this album, the last track "Always All ways," is one of the best song to represent the singing and lyircs of this song. The classic rock tune complies perfectly with the lyircs. The singer is a skilled singer and can sing calmly, but also rocksih. Once again in my opinion, the songs has compliance to the music that they play. One thing that I like about this album is that the singing voice is extremely clear, and people who wants to make insulting interpretations of them can't because their too good. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is packed with different singing from screaming, soft, and rock. Has some crazy guitar solos and the album is a genre between rock and hardcore. I love how there's different varieties of genres and the emotion that gets put into the songs. I disilke nothing. If it were lost, I would buy it again right away. If someone stole it, I would spazz as hell at him kick his nuts. In my opinion, they don't compare to other bands because they have a very unique style. // 10

More Lostprophets reviews rating latest review
+ Weapons 6.8 04/03/2012