Start Something Review

8.8
 9.1
 8.4
Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2005

Sound: I had only heard bits of lostprophets from their first album, "Fake Sound Of Progress," and so I was expecting alot, and I got it. This album is one of the best albums I've listened to and speaks to you. You can tell that theyve decided to concerntrate more on songs rather than interludes on this album, and by listening to the songs you can pick up that they have been planned and thought of carefully and songs such as "To Hell We Ride" flow very well into each verse and chorus. They have definatley moved to a more mainstream sound of this album with songs such as "Last Summer" but also anthemtic songs such as "Last Train Home" and "Burn Burn." Both guitarists have decided to go to a Drop D rather than C and these songs and the guitar work espeically by lead Lee Gaze has improved, just by looking at the ending solo on "I Don't Know." // 10

Lyrics: I have a mixed feeling about the lyrics. They have seemed to have change their minds on what they write about in these songs. Compared to the underground and deep lyrics of "Fake Sound Of Progress" they seem more simple and mainstream, on such songs as "We Still Kill The Old Way." But this album does still carry the same message they have always wanted to carry, they have just had a different experience on life. Songs such as "Last Train Home" with the line "to never fall in love again" can relate to most people, while on songs such as "Last Summer," relates to more leaving friends behind. Also "Burn Burn" talks about the manufactured bands such as "Busted" who have somewhat ruined the underground scene and image of rock. This album has a more personal feel to it rather than how life can get you down. The combonation of singing and screaming is also very good but I would have liked to have seen more or just the same as compared to their last album, but in a whole, singing by ian seems more stronger. // 8

Overall Impression: This album made Lostprophets my favourite band, who I cant stop bragging about to all my friends, if they know that if I want I sound to be played it has to be lostprophets or if I'm singing something its probably lostprophets lol. This album though different to their last one, has something for everyone, from soft dance songs "Goodbye Tonight" to heavy metal riffs "We Are Godzilla, You Are Japan." Though critisim can be seen with mainstream riffs, they still seem to appeal to their old underground fans. I saw them live in Wolverhampton and they were unberliveable, and they still kept there underground presense at the bigger venues and kept the crowd at their feet, a band which has to be judged on their live performance before critisim, if I lost this cd, I wud defonitley without question go by it. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: silverymetaller, on november 09, 2004

Sound: This album is less nu-metal than "The Fake Sound OOf Progress". Less scretching is used in t which is good. Ian Watkins sings better than he did. The most impressive thing is the back up vocal done by Jamie Oliver (the keyboard). Sometimes I think he does sings better than Ian. Back to the songs, I love the endings. It is absolutely amazing and makes the songs less similar to the songs by other nu-metal bands. "We Are Godzilla, You Are Japan" is the best track in "Start Something". Other songs rocks my socks as well! // 10

Lyrics: I love most of the lyrics. most of them is about those common topics like lost in the world, findin their own ways, etc. But still they sound pretty good. I think "Last Summer" is quiet special cuz not many nu-metal bands write lyrics about positive friendship. Ian has improved his writting skill. I think he wants the kis out there to relate more to his lyric. In my opinion, that's why the lyrics has pretty much personal feelings in it. // 8

Overall Impression: "Start Something" shows that lostprophets has improved a lot since "The Fake Sound Of Progress". The vocal, lyrics, sound or techinc have all been improved. After listening to this album, I have become a huge fan of lostprophets. They truely rock! If it was stolen, I would definitely buy it again cuz I still not getting bored of it even though I've listened to it like hundreds of times. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 05, 2006

Sound: This is the second album from Welsh nu-metal band Lostprophets. This album had everything that their first album "Fake Souund Of Progress" had, crunching guitars, a huge synth and "scrathing" sounds, an credible if not entierly spetcacular drumming. The Riffs are the stand out part of this album. "Make A Move", "I Don't know" and "We Are Godzilla You Are Japan" have some truly awesome riffs that destroy, bamboozle and amaze. The Synth sound gets a little annoying though at times, particularly in "Millions Miles" and "Sway". // 8

Lyrics: These are terrible for the most part but there are some good ones ("Make a Move", "I Don't Know", "We are Godzilla you are Japan, Title Track, "Hello again" and "To Hell We Ride") but the rest all either non-descript ("Kill The Old Way, Burn Burn, Goodbye Tonight) bad ("Sway", "Million Miles") or quite frankly terrible ("Last Train Home", "Last Summer). Ian Watkins is not the worst singer in the world but cannot do the screams that the backing singer/keyboard player/synth player can do. // 6

Overall Impression: The best Tracks are "To Hell We Ride", "I don't know", the title tack and "We are Godzilla, you are Japan" but they are all eclipsed by the stunning "Make a Move", which is almost as good as "The Fake sound of Progress" and the awesome "Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja" on "The Fake sound of Progress" Album. But the rest of the album disapointing at best and appaling at worst. "Goodbye Tonight" and "Last Train home" are truly terrible songs that I would confine to the bin never mind just b-sides. The cover of "Cry Me A River" on of the B-sides for "Last Train Home" deserved a place on the album more. // 5

Start Something Reviewed by: lostprophets, on january 19, 2004

Sound: So the welsh wonders are back but does this neccessarily mean they're back with a sound that earns them the title best band in the world? You better believe it. The fans like me that have waited so long for this album won't be dissapointed. Admitedly, Start Something has been hyped up so much that we all began to think that this album better had be as good as the boys have said to avoid them fading into post-hardcore nothingness. And my friends...this album has lived up to the hype. from songs as thrashing and totally mind blowing as 'We still kill the old way' and 'We are Godzilla and you are Japan' (with possibly the best guitar riff known to man) to the gentler side of the album with songs such as 'Goodbye tonight' and 'Sway'. Yes they truly have excelled themselves. Coming from a dedicated longtime fan of lostprophets, I thought that they could get no better....boy was I wrong. // 10

Lyrics: Ian has shown his talent as a vocalist who can scream his way through songs like the good old days of the fake sound of progress but can also sing like a man that truly knows his nuggets. And in the case of 'Sway', sing high pitched and still sound damn good! He has truly progressed and his experience shows through his lyrics and singing style. As he sings in 'We still kill the old way'...'see it all I see but I still kill, still kill the old way' is implying that the boys from Pontypridd are still doing whatever the hell they want to. They are still writing and playing from the heart for the fans they love so much. And lets not forget Jamie's amazing backing vocals, Without them in my opinion, this album would be less of the brilliance it is. With his incredible ability to scream and sing so beautifuly that add that spark that makes these collection of gems so thunderous and majestic. // 10

Overall Impression: Picking songs that shine through from the rest on this album is near impossible. As it is so varied there is something for every mood. 'we still kill the odl way' is a blistering, roaring start to the album and as the album progresses different sounds show through. The singles 'Last train home' a purely beautiful song and the thunderous 'burn burn' are perfect for jumping around the living room to where as songs such as 'Our last summer' are perfect sing alongs with that emo twinge of emotion. 'We are Godzilla, you are Japan' though stand out as the heaviest and rawest song on the album that will have you going mental at the gig. There is nothing to hate on this album, just an album full of raw emotion. A truly amazing second album that shows that the prophets boys have progressed incredibly well since the fake sound of progress with a sound that is clearly more defined and as you listen to this album you can tell that this is the sound that the boys always wanted. This is the Lostprophets at their very best. They deserve nothing but praise. It shows that taking a little bit longer to produce this album and making the fans wait can make a difference. I'm not the best at writing reviews but this album is the best album of 2004 if not ever and I only have 1 piece of adivce for you guys...buy this album. You NEED it. I already have my copy from Australia, but I wil be buying it when it comes out here in the UK to! Y? Because the Prophets need as much recognition and praise for this album worldwide. So lets do it 4 Lostprophets. Best band in the world? I think so. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2004

Sound: I would just like to say that if anyone who likes Lostprophets but has not bought their new album "start something" Then you really do not know what you're missing. The music created by this British band is, I think, a massively refined sound, which distinguishes it from all other metal bands. A welcome, 'makes a change' British metal band that shows we can 'mosh' to. To be honest, I don't go for the usual metal sound, because I prefer a band of melodies, of light trebled distortion and some high pitched pop-punk rock riffs. But as soon as Lostprophets debut album was released, I went and bought it straight away, because it was metal, with melody. I think, in this album, the boys have hit the spot just right, driving chords over thundering bass and a good old rhythm to it as well! // 10

Lyrics: To be honest, I couldn't really relate to the lyrics of the first album, because it was the first metal band from who I'd actually bought an album. The words were definitely able to sing along to, and the CD contained some good tunes. But this time around, "Start Something" has a much better style of words: simple, easy to relate and full of bounce. Also, something else which has come around a lot better this time is how the words go with the music. It's as if the lyrics and melodies had been matched froma machine, because I think both the words and the mucis go a lot better than the first, although I'm not saying the first wasn't good, it was amazing, but the boys have pushed a lot further with this one. Ian Watkins, the lead singer definitely has an unusuial voice for a metal band, but I think that the combination of his vocals along with the music is both original and brilliant. A brilliant lead singer and also very good backing vocals from the rest of the band. // 8

Overall Impression: Having recently bought the album, it is the one I'm playing most at the moment, but already I'm comparing it to some of my other favourite albums, even though they aren't metal bands. My personal favourite songs on "Start Something" are 'Burn Burn' (An excellent song), 'We still kill the old way' (because mainly of the brilliant guitar power chords at the beginning)and also 'We are godzilla, you are Japan' because all the way through that song, it just makes you want to stand up and mosh. I love the way the music has progressed through the two albums into this refined British metal that we have here. I hate the way that they don't put the lyrics into the booklet, I hate it when that happens! To be honest, you couldn't call any song on there crap, all aare really quality and some just stand out as great. If I lost it, I would immediately go out and buy another one (or make someone else go and buy it) I would recommend this to any metal fans, or indeed any rock fans. This is an album which has a bit of everything. A really good album. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on march 15, 2004

Sound: It's clear from this album that Lostprophets' sound has really matured. "The Fake Sound of Progress", whilst still being a good album, sounded more like a group of guys making noise. "Start Something" is the next logical step, with the same group of guys wanting to do something with that noise. It's a lot more varied than the last. There's elements of emo, hardcore, punk and perhaps even a slice of pop-punk, blended with their distinctive nu-metal sound. There's also the differing interludes between each song, which add to the atmosphere, as does the inclusion of orchestral instruments in songs like "Make A Move", and the piano at the end of "Start Something". It's clearly a more mainstream album than it's predecessor, but it's one that actually justifies the hype. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on nu-metal records aren't generally known for their poetic or witty style. Thankfully, on this album, they're not so bad. Apart from the occasional blatant attempt at forced rhyming ("Their apathys not affecting us, maybe they ride on a different bus"), the lyrics are generally pretty good. Ian's voice has also matured greatly since the last album, and he can now sing and scream exceptionally well, which is complimented by the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album. No doubt about it. At times, there are flaws, yes. But show me an album where there isn't. This is in every way as good as "The Fake Sound of Progress", and in many ways better. It's more varied, better produced and generaly a lot more mature. These days, you can't help but hear Lostprophets and Funeral for a Friend in the same sentence, and both bands don't sound too dissimilar after this album, which can only be a good thing. Standout tracks include "Make A Move", "We Still Kill The Old Way", "Last Train Home", "Burn Burn" and "I Don't Know", but the whole album is of a high quality. The only thing I dislike about this album is the lack of lyrics on the sleeve. Only a minor point, I know, but it would have been nice. It's definitely worth buying, although fans of the old sound might be disappointed. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2004

Sound: I really don't know how to start with this one. I bought the Yellowcard and LostProphets CDs both in the same night, and I didn't really listen to LostProphets at first... I only listened to Last Train home. When I actually decided to give them a try... I was instantly addicted. I can't take them out of my CD player. The sound of this band is just amazing... their guitar riffs are sometimes simple, sometimes complex, but always good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for Start Something were really good as well. I like the kind of music that these guys do, this is something that I want to do one day... I don't know, but the lyrics are frickin' awesome! Ian Watkins has an undescribably awsome voice that went great with the type of music he wrote. ROCK ON! // 10

Overall Impression: The only albums that I think really can compare with Start Something are Page Avenue by Story Of The Year and Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard. It's a favorable triangle of music. I highly recommend buying Start Something, it's well worth the money. And if you like Lost Prophets, you should try out Yellowcard and Story Of The Year, you never know if you'll like them. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: funeralforafrie, on march 31, 2004

Sound: With this being the Welsh Nu-Metallers follow up to the hugely successful "The Fake Sound Of Progress" they really needed something special. The sound they use in this CD hasn't really changed much, a better word would be matured or developed, it still focuses more on the positive side of life than angst, still has the catchy guitar riffs and melodic singing. Definitely what is clear is that as musicians the band have definately grown. The solo in "I Don't Know" really is a first for the band, not really recognised for their solo's, since covering cry me a river on a showcase on the radio alot of their songs do have quite fast tapping solo's in them. A very large musical improvement. // 8

Lyrics: Lostprophets never claimed to be amazing songwriters, sometimes their lyrics can appear quite contrived and pointless, but they do always have that feel good factor, not one song off the album isnt catchy and very nice to sing along. The singing has developed astoundingly, he is able to hold half-screams half melody for a long time, and makes it sound beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: Now on this album their is only one thing I disliked, the song "Last Summer", it is tacky, other than that, there is really no other negative thing I could say about it. I really do recommend anybody purchase it. // 8

Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2004

Sound: WOW. Saw these guys with Hoobastank on the opening venue for Campus Invasion '04. Blown away, I bought their cd after hearing To Hell We Ride on need for speed and Last Train Home on the radio, killer band. I like the unique blend of styles in the music, there are some hard songs like Start Something and catchy almost close to punk songs such as I Don't Know. // 10

Lyrics: 1st of all, it's not Ian Watkins that does the screaming, it's all the keyboarder but all u people seem to think its Watkins. now the lyrics on this album are super, I love every song, but some more than others. Ian Watkins has an increddible voice and the keyboarder adds so much with his screams, also having 3 of the other 4 memebers sing back ups during many choruses add an effect. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album, stand out songs are 1-6, 8, 9 and 10 the other 3 or so are also good but those are the top. Recommend buying and would for sure repalce if lost of stolen. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: Einzigerfan03, on may 19, 2004

Sound: I've been a lostprophets fan since the days of Shinobi Vs. Dragonninja and what i was expecting wasnt what i got. This album is more along the alt-metal side of things rather then the nu-metal sounds of The Fake Sounds of Progress. It's also more electronic the The Fake Sonds of progress. But it's not bad. Also it's more laid back. But it still manage's to rock hard with songs like Start Something, And Make A Move. // 8

Lyrics: Ian is a great at what he does the lryic's on this outting are more mature then "The Fake Sounds of Progress" but it's definately in the Lostprophets styles of things only they can get away with being positive in the alt/nu-metal world. Again songs like "Start Something" can keep listening with the screaming vocals and good lryical structure while songs like "Endless Summer" slows things down a bit but still manages to capture you and makes you feel what he's saying. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this one of the best albums of 2004. And this album is a must for Lostprophet fans and a good way to be introduced to the band. This album ranges from influences and the sonic landscape on this album is one that is unique and maintains a true prophet style sound. I recommand this album to anybody into the whole Alternative rock/nu-metal things fans of Linkin Park and incubus will definitely like this CD. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: blinkguitarist5, on july 19, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is incredible. It's hard to believe that a nu-metal/punk/rock band could come up with such great riffs, melodies, and vocals. The singer is amazing. He has so much range and can scream for all he is worth, and it sounds great. There isn't that much screaming if you're wondering. They used old classic rock styles mixed with new age guitar effects and palm-muting and plenty of drop D and powerchords in there but good solos for this kind of music. Over all I have to give the sound of this record a 5 because it is one of my favorite albums of 2004. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and heartfelt with alot of emotion. You can tell when they are supposed to sound angry not just by the way the singer sings them, but by the way they write them, you can tell when they are trying to help you through the lyrics and give you advice by the tone the singer has. The lyrics are good because you can relate to them alot. They talk about remembering good times you had with friends, ending relationships, God, and trying to start fights. Again, I have to give them a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This album surpasses just the good song of Last Train Home, the most popular single on the album. There are way better songs than that one, which is a good thing about an album. The most impressive songs are Make A Move (Wake Up), Burn Burn, I Don't Know, Last Summer and Sway which is an 11-minute song that progresses from slow to hard as it goes. I love the guitar and singing the most. The drummer has awesome beats and in between songs, they have interludes that get you pumped up for the song following. I wouldn't compare this band to any other band because they have a unique sound. If it were lost, I would scavenge my house looking for dimes, nickels, and pennies trying to gather enough money to buy this CD again. It is a great one and it's worth the buy because you will not be disappointed. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: frodoisdead, on july 30, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is overall very good. It isn't as 'nu metal' as FSOP, but it makes up for it with those anthemic riffs and improving vocals. I was disappointed vocally with LP's last outing, but it seems like Ian Watkins has finally got his voice in check and it just makes the album come together so much better, in my view. The guitar work is good, with those catchy riffs and explosive chorus'. The rhytmn section is very tight and compact with the drumming staying simple but effective and the bass doing its usual job. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely varied. At points they are excellent but others are really quite bad. At times the forced rhymes made me cringe, an example of this was during the opening track "we still kill the old way" it goes "Their apathys not affecting us, maybe they ride on a diferent bus" now how that line ever made it into such a high profile album I will never know. Also the lines "I know it wasnt your own fault that you never made it out of your vault" "It takes a lot to get home but its ok when the light is always on" "With you its never good enough because you want the stuff that could change your future." It's not exactly classic lyrics, but there are still some good moments within the album, but just be cautious that its not going to be anything that will blow you over. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is a solid sequel to FSOP, but does lack those quality few songs that you will never forget. But still songs like "Last Train Home" and "burn Burn" were huge anthems which not only propelled the band to superstardom in the UK but also the US. I still think that people thinking of buying this cd should opt for Funeral For A Friend, as it is one of the best album I have heard for the past few years. I think that the main downside of this album is in the lyrics, but the band have improved as overall musicians and makes the album better for. If it was stolen I would buy it again as it is worth its place in my record collection. // 8

Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2004

Sound: I loved Lost Prophets the moment I heard their FSOP album. I was most definitely hooked. That being said I couldn't wait for any material they put out after it. And Start Something does not dissapoint. I was shocked to hear a solo for the first time by them in the song I Don't Know. This is just a small sign that they really have pulled it together as a band and are comfortable getting creative. This album is not as heavy as the first one as there is less screaming and the guitars aren't so down-tuned, but it's still a great listen. Buy it! // 10

Lyrics: My only gripe about their first album was that the lyrics just didn't make sense. On start something, there is a general theme of Start Something. The entire album is pretty much a rally call to get off your tail and to not settle for mediocraty. There's nothing really witty or poignant about Ian's lyrics but they are straightforward and they get the message across which is the most important thing. Also, Ian has progressed so much as a singer since FSOP it's kinda creepy, but in a good way. A really good way. // 10

Overall Impression: If I were to lose this album, I would definitely spend another $17 on it. I do consider one of the must have cds of the year. It has some of the most catchy songs I've heard in awhile and they won't wear out anytime soon. Songs such as last train home, start something, we are godzilla you are japan, and sway are some of the highlights. The best thing about this album is how much better a singer Ian has become. So, what are you doing sitting here reading this? Go buy it! I also suggest Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday, The Used. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: scousertommy, on october 22, 2004

Sound: You'll see from the tabs that they've used more conventional tuning here than on FSOP, and it does take away slightly from what made the band's sound in it's own right great. Having said that, most of the songs have more melody, and the tuning even allows for a solo this time around! Less "nu-metal", more "commercial" some would say. The vocals are more melodic also, but I was very fond of the screaming from FSOP on tracks like the handsome life, and still laughing, (I think it was that one). It seems that the band's sound has lost some of it's uniqueness, but when you listen to the album you can't find fault, as the new, less dark sound allows for some really unforgetable tunes. // 8

Lyrics: Again, a noticable departure has been made from FSOP, and again the quality suffers just slightly. Much more conventional I guess. The lyrics on FSOP were great, maybe because you couldnt understand them! The odd cliche pops up throughout the album, on tracks like hello again, and last train home. The (keyboard guy's?) screaming is still there on tracks; that line "gotta take control" etc on "A Million Miles" is what makes it the best track on the album. // 8

Overall Impression: I have to say that I love this album, and after nearly 2 months of listening to it every day I still can't get enough! The songs just don't wear out. This is because the thrills are not cheap; there are no gratuitously heavy, dumbass riffs; the complex arrangements of the songs mean that you are always finding some new part of a song to love. The single standout track of the album for me is definitely "A Million Miles". Brilliant vocals, guitars, I love the clapping rhythm parts, all the strings, and that violin line near the start, which has a slightly oriental vibe. Also last train home, I dont know, sway, and hello again were memorable. Start something (the song) is great, especially just at the start when it switches instantly from the intro to the verse! If I lost this album I would pay double just to buy it again. My album of the year. Just as a note I'd like to add that I hate the new lostprophets logo, and the album cover design/booklet. // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2005

Sound: Lostprophets have a good strong sound to them, the songs are put together well. Each song is individual, they don't sound like the ones before them. There are heavy guitars, nice vocals and good drumming which are combined together excellently. People like to dismiss Lostprophets as a boy band of rocker wannabes, but listening to this album proves that is most untrue! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good in some songs not so good in others, they fit with the music and the style of the song well. Singer Ian Watkins has a good voice and so does the backing singer (don't know his name), their voices go nicely with the instruments. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a good album but I don't always feel like listening to it and its certainly not my favourite CD from my collection. The best songs are Last Train Home, Million Miles, We Are Godzilla You Are Japan, Start Something and We Still Kill The Old Way - quite a few good songs. One thing I hate about it is that they have these session music bits mixed in on intros and at the end of the songs sometimes, it really annoys me because it is so pointless and sounds wrong. If I lost the album I may buy it again, eventually. // 8

Start Something Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Sound: Their album has a very ethical loud sound to it and I love it because it's the sort of album you can listen to in the car, in your bedroom or practically anywhere. I think Ian Watkins' voice is beautiful because he doesn't over do it and he doesn't sound like a whiner like some tripe. The riffs are immaculate and sound difficult, although some of them are, but I think they aren't the showy off type of band. // 9

Lyrics: They express their emotions, which I like in a band. I think the lyrics go well with the music because they are making it sound really hardcore. The fact that they are telling it like it is has a great effect. // 8

Overall Impression: I would definately buy it again if it got stolen or lost because I love 'Last Summer' and the last track 'Sway'. I love sway because it is calming to me and it makes me feel happy and fuzzy inside. I also think that Ian Watkins is fit, he is my ideal man to spend the rest of my life with! // 10

Start Something Reviewed by: supreemo, on january 13, 2006

Sound: This is a switch. If you've listened to "The Fake Sound Of Progress" album then you know how energetic and heavy lostprophets can be. This album has been viewed as a sell out by some and a step up in their writing abilities, I view it as both. Yes their writing abilities have improved (in particular Ian's lyrics) but at the same time I feel that they have drifted away from their energetic and heavy roots and gone into a more socially acceptable category. The guitar has been tuned up significantly which also contributes to the aparant distance from the metal feel. But fear not die hard metal fans 'cause we've still got "To Hell We Ride," "Burn Burn," "Start Something,"and "We Are Godzilla You Are Japan" to brighten our flame. However we are left with "I Don't Know," "Hello Again," "Goodbye Tonight," "Million Miles," "Last Summer" and "Sway..." which are the sell-out emo songs. Some of you may not be as accepting as I am of the lostprophets new sound but I have become fond of some of these songs, such as "Goodbye Tonight" which I love with a passion, and "Hello Again" which is a crazy dark sounding song. Well now on to the guitar. The riffs throughout the CD are more fleshed out and obvious then the one's on tfsop. Plus mike does a lot of rythmic little bits in the songs. Look at "Last Train Home" which has the catchiest little riff in the intro. But then you have "Burn Burn" which has a very energetic and catchy riff throuout the song. This song really remindes of their old stuff. But by far the coolest guitar riffs can be found in the song "Start Something." There are a lot of effects in the song but it makes for a good intro. The pre-chorus is by far one of the coolest single-string riffs I've ever heard. At this point in the cd you're listening through "Million Miles," "Last Summer" and such but you want more, that's when you here "We Are Godzilla You Are Japan" and you will not soon forget it. By far one the heaviest LP songs ever, almost entirely filled with screaming, and yet another catchy guitar riff. The last song on the CD is "Sway..." which is like 13 minutes long however only the first 4 minutes are the actual song, the rest is just like noise and talking. Although The Lostprophets have stepped away from their signiture energy crazed music they have grown to be one the most diverse and talented nu-metal groups today. // 9

Lyrics: Thank god, Ian's lyrical abilities have improved. Some of the songs on tfsop were damn near disasterous. It seems like the message of this album was one to get off your ass and do something, do anything but do it with pride and don't give up. Rather postitve for a nu-metal band. Anyway just look at some of the song names and you'll see: "Wake Up (Make A Move)" and "Start Something." I love the lyrics for "We Still Kill The Old Way" because its like their saying "We're back and screw you b*tches that don't like it," (sigh) I love it. Plus it also talkes about how even though the've changed their still the same. "Burn Burn" I believe is a song about believing what you think is right and not to try and fit in with what some one else tells you you should be. "Goodbye Tonight" is a song about just making it through the days and just bilieving that there's a reason to keep going. They've always got a summer song and now its "Last Summer" which again talks about the band reliving their summer vacations as kids. All in all this CD shines for the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: How do you judge the difference? Tfsop towers musically and in entertainment value but this CD moves you emotionally and you really feel a part of the message. The best songs are: "Last Train Home," "Burn Burn," "Goodbye Tonight," "Start Something" and "Sway..." I love how much the lyrics have improved, it really makes the songs more fun to listen to. I hate how much lighter this album is then the last one. All in all a decent CD but tfsop is a classic. // 8

Start Something Reviewed by: H4602, on july 23, 2007

Sound: Where to start. The sound hasn't changed much since the last album, with the exception of less hip-hop, turntables and scratching effects. The music sounds more like a heavier version of Incubus, some good nu metal. There are different sounds on this album, from hard rock (We Still Kill the old Way, To Hell we Ride, Burn Burn), to metal (We are Godzilla, You are Japan, Start Something) to more light, heart-felt songs (Goodbye Tonight, Last Train Home, Last Summer). I also think Goodbye Tonight has a hint of electro if you listen carefully. On some of the songs, there are added samples on the end, which drags them on a bit and can get a bit annoying on songs like Hello Again and A Million Miles. But overall, I don't think there is a song on this album with a bad sound, they are all good in their own right. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album and the whole general theme is about (as Lostprophets themselves describe) is about stop sitting around and saying your going to do something but don't do it, get out there and turn your life, Start Something. There are heavy lyrics, on We are Godzilla, You are Japan and there are more calm, good time lyrics on songs like Last Summer. The lyrics on Last Train Home are about feeling good for who you are. I think Ian Watkins voice has matured a considerable amount on this album, when you compare it to the sound on the Fake sound of Progress record. // 9

Overall Impression: It's hard for me to decide which album is better, Start Something or Liberation Transmission. Both albums easily overshadow the fake sound of progress, and I know a lot of people would argue that Liberation Tranmission is a sell-out record, but everybody changes and Liberation Tranmission is a great for what it is. But this CD is classic Lostprophets and what they are at their best. The best songs are: Last Train Home, Goodbye Tonight and Last Summer, if your looking to download some songs instead of buying the album download those. This album is amazing, I would order 2 copies if I lost it again because I couldn't go a day without listening to it. // 10

More Lostprophets reviews rating latest review
+ Weapons 6.8 04/03/2012