The Betrayed Review

artist: lostprophets date: 05/28/2010 category: compact discs
lostprophets: The Betrayed
Released: Jan 13, 2010
Genre: Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal
Label: Visible Noise (UK) / Sony Music (US)
 8.4
 9.1
 7.7
The Betrayed Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2010

Sound: I've been waiting for this album to be released with great expectation. I've always loved Lostprophets since I heard Last Train Home, but I must admit that Liberation Transmission was somehow disappointing for me (don't take me wrong, I loved it, but I like the other albums better). It certainly featured some great songs (Everyday Combat or Can't Catch Tomorrow), but, being Start Something the best album (and that's not just my opinion, most Lostprophets' fans will agree, I'm sure), Liberation Transmission was an excessively radical change from their style. One could notice a more mature attitude and sound when listening to it, but it is an undeniable fact that they had went more commercial and poppy. The album was a weird mix of heavy, fast paced songs and kind-of-emo tones. Lots of la-la-la's and do-do-do's that were nice but didn't really fit Lostprophets' style. In short, a great album, but not the best one could expect from Lostprophets. The Betrayed follows up with Liberation Transmission's style, but in certain ways it gets back to the old-school style. Heavy guitars provide some mind-blowing riffs along with good bass lines, the drums are just awesome (Ilan Rubin is a great drummer) and Ian Watkins's singing is as good as usual. Sounds pretty much like Liberation Transmission, but in a way that I can't explain, it sounds just better. Still catchy and a bit poppy, but it doesn't feel like Lostprophets have turned into a sellout band that makes music only to sell lots of CD's. Liberation Transmission somehow brought this feeling with some of its songs, but with The Betrayed this is gone. The new album is heavier, darker, more mature, more like the old Lostprophets if you ask me. Oh, and interludes are back, which I am sure is good news for the old-school style fans. // 9

Lyrics: Just as the music, lyrics have also evolved. Darker, more apocalyptical (as said by the members of Lostprophets themselves) and mature. Not the romantic stuff found in Liberation Transmission. Particularly, I like the lyrics from It's not the end of the world but I can see it from here: "My soldiers march tonight in the city of your dreams This beautiful army are tearing at your seams Down on your knees, cure this disease I'll take it all, everything I see Oh can't you hear the symphony! Behind these walls, we'll watch it fall As our union crumbles into hell" // 7

Overall Impression: Again, it's not that I didn't like Liberation Transmission, but The Betrayed is so similar that I had to compare both albums, and fortunately (for those of us who were expecting a great album), The Betrayed gets the biggest score. If I had to choose the songs that deserve special attention, I'd surely say the best are "It's Not The End Of The World But I Can See It From Here" and "A Better Nothin" for their great guitars and vocals, and "For He's A Jolly Good Felon" and "Streets Of Nowhere" for their catchy (I just can't get them out of my head) riffs and calmed down style. But of course, opinions are like asses, everyone has their own, specially when talking about music. Just get the album (if you haven't yet) and judge for yourself, I'm sure that it won't disappoint you. // 8

The Betrayed Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 29, 2010

Sound: Lostprophets have been walking the line between alt-rock and alt-metal for 6 years and The Betrayed stays the course. While it's not the incredibly heavy album that everyone's expected, it certainly does have its moments that'll get you headbanging (see "If It Wasn't for Hate", "Dstryr / Dstryr", and "It's Not the End of the World" for these). And if you wanna get technical, according to the 6 Welshmen, the New Wave-ish interludes are here to segue you from one song to the next. However, on the whole, the four years that people have been waiting for payed off with the kind of album everyone was hoping for. Inspiration from the album has allegedly drawn from Faith No More and Refused, but it seems more like the band has simply solidified its own sound to make it. (A good thing, too, after hearing that the Prophets spent $500,000 their first run to make an album that had trumpets in it.) The song titles and outward portayal of the album sounds like a darker Liberation Transmission, whereas the music brings you back to the Start Something days. Lostprophets have a knack for creating songs that'll get stuck in your head. From the heavy to soft, their music is catchy, but not off-putting enough for you to dismiss them as just another, say, pop metal band. They've got their it-wouldn't-be-Lostprophets-without-an-anthem, "Where We Belong", but also dabble in their punk-ish side with "Next Stop Atro City". And the downturned ballad-y "The Light That Shines Twice as Bright..." is a great closer to the album. // 10

Lyrics: This time around, Ian Watkins brings his lyrics to a darker, more cynical tone. There's even a few instances where profanity is used, which is a first. Nonetheless, some songs are just outwardly brutal, such as the aforementioned "Dstryr / Dstryr": "Destroyer, destroyer. Religion needs a new employer. I've got the rope to hang your Jesus even higher!" Others hide behind a happier sound, like "For He's a Jolly Good Felon", but still remain witty but dark: "Mikey, oh where'd you get those Nikes? 'Cause I know you ain't got the notes to drop, Left alone you'd take the fucking lot!" // 10

Overall Impression: The Betrayed doesn't sound like anyone else what it does sound like is Lostprophets, and kudos to them for that. Nowadays, it takes a real talent to be a part of the alternative rock genre and still be known for something. These aren't just "those guys who sing 'Last Train Home' and 'Rooftops'," they're a band who aren't afraid to be who they are, get a little experimental but be comfortable in their own shoes (sound?) at the same time. What I personally love about this album is the heavy beginning to it, and how before you know it, it's mellowed out in the sound that Prophets fans have grown to love. If I could change one thing, I'd say include another 1 or 2 songs that have Jamie Oliver screaming again. Not totally necessary, but hearing it again does bring back memories. However, The Betrayed is such good music that I'd buy the CD again if it was ever stolen or lost. All in all, I'd say that The Betrayed is solid solid music, solid vocals, solid personality. This would be a great place for someone to discover the band, but also is an invaluable collection to a hardcore fan's library. // 10

The Betrayed Reviewed by: guitaristdude44, on may 28, 2010

Sound: First off, the quality of the album isn't what it should be considering the only place I could find it was a leak. Other than that, The Betrayed sounds are relevant to the earlier albums and less poppy than Liberation Transmission. Like Start Something, the album links song to song which gives it a nice flow while listening to it. The album is definitely darker as the band mentioned, but still Lostprophets. The guitar parts seem to be pretty on and work well together. Oliver, on keys, has contributed much more to this album than any other. The melodies are very catchy, and the underlying riffs aren't the same over and over yet they are consistently good. // 9

Lyrics: As usual, Ian Watkins keeps do a certain style of writing. In this album, it seems that his favorite line is "Make Amends" which was used 2 or 3 times as well as in previous albums. Lyrics in AC Ricochet are repetitive, but have a good flow and rhyme scheme. In Dstyr Dstyr, Watkins seems to throw some of his political opinion in. That's new for Lostprophets which shows that the lyrics aren't the same and have new things to add. Watkins screams a bit in the album rather than Oliver doing it in LT. The whole band seems to sing more and it gives the album a fuller sound. Watkins' voice is pretty recognizable and unique, which fits the band well for it has an excellent sound. This was all very on. // 10

Overall Impression: The Betrayed proved to be all it was hyped for. As soon as it comes to the US, it will definitely be a hit. I would have to rank it higher than Liberation Transmission, tied with Fake Sound of Progress, but not as good as Start Something. The songs are all very catchy and have new riffs and melodies that vary from the previous records. Every song on the album is unique and easy to separate from the others. As said before, the album links like Start Something which gives you that "I don't want to stop listening" attitude. I could listen to this album for hours on end and still enjoy it. I strongly recommend it to any Lostprophets fan or anyone who wants to give them a try. // 9

More Lostprophets reviews rating latest review
+ Weapons 6.8 04/03/2012