The Fake Sound Of Progress Review

8.8
 8.5
 9.1
The Fake Sound Of Progress Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2004

Sound: Lostprophets, and in particular this album, are always hard to categorise. When this album first came out, many people hastily gave it the nu-metal tag. However, I disagree. Admittedly, songs like "Shinobi .vs. Dragon Ninja" may have really powerful riffs, but nu-metal would be the wrong description. I read an interview with Ian Watkins, who said this album doesn't represent their true style, and wasn't originally intended for commercial release. Despite this, the album manages to deliver. Hard rock riffs with a pinch of melody are the order of the day here, and the vocals shift effortlessly between singing and screaming over the top. It's not heavy as such, it's just pretty dark. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good, with some especially good moments, such as "My smile only shows one side of me" on "For Sure", but also some bad ones "Are you that clever that you could smile forever?", from "Shinobi .vs. Dragon Ninja". The lyrics are based largely around, well, the fake sound of progress actually. Generally pessimistic opinions are presented and most of it is pretty good. There's the occasional moment when they don't make sense, but for the most part it's all gravy. Ian's vocals change between screaming and straight singing, and are, again, very good. The sound and lyrics have matured for the second album, what you hear on this recording is the development stage. // 6

Overall Impression: Not as good as the new album, but still an essential purchase. I'm sure it's sales will go up after the release of "Start Something", but deservedly so. The highlights for me are "For Sure", "The Fake Sound of Progress", "Shinobi .vs. Dragon Ninja" and "Ode to Summer". It definitely beats any nu-metal, and strays occasionally into hardcore/post-hardcore territory, with hints of emo. I'd definitely buy it again, and recommend it to anyone thinking of buying it. I have pre-ordered the new album, and eagerly await it's arrival. // 8

The Fake Sound Of Progress Reviewed by: Einzigerfan03, on june 17, 2004

Sound: Soundwise this is way heavier then "Start Something". With a feel of down-tuned nu-metal guitars. Vocals that are as beautiful as they are monsterous. Overall soundwise The Fake Sounds of Progress may not be able to match the production qualities of Start Something. It does deliver with more raw energy then Start Something. // 10

Lyrics: Lryic wise this isnt what you would expect once you hear the songs. The lryic's are pretty positive and it's not on the border lines of "i hate my life blah blah blah". While Ian has the ability to make you feel what he's saying in songs like "Shinobi Vs. Dragonninja" & "The Handsome Life of Swing" he can also turn around and make you understand were he is coming from with tracks such as "The Fake Sounds of Progress" & "Still Laughing". But when compared to "Start Something" they arent even a match. // 8

Overall Impression: Although alot of people havent heard of Lostprophets until "Last Train Home". The band definitely shows that they have more of a raw energy. Overall this is the better album due to the fact that it has more of an energy missing from "Start Something". Overall if you havent heard of them then get introduced to them by this album. If you were introduced to them by "Start Something" then you might have some trouble adjusting to this sound and raw energy or this. // 10

The Fake Sound Of Progress Reviewed by: bucky_86, on july 22, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of this CD was great. The way it all fit together was perfect. The first thing I would like to say, is how the fuck did they get the name 'Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja'. It is so frikkin random. Although we dont have a Disk Jockey, the band I am currently in chose this song to play first because it is easy, but awesome. // 8

Lyrics: 'The Fake Sound of Progress' has good lyrics, because they have a lot of truth in them. If you havent heard them then you should look them up. They pretty much talk about someone who gets told that he's never gonna win, but he tells them to get f--ked and does fine in life. // 8

Overall Impression: Lostprophets have a pretty unique sound, but they remind me a tiny bit of Linkin Park and Ill Nino. If it was stolen then I would just get my mates to burn me a new copy (my copy now is burnt.) // 8

The Fake Sound Of Progress Reviewed by: supreemo, on january 12, 2006

Sound: Lostprophets on this album have a very rock/metal kind of feel. Everybody loves the single "Shinobi Vs. Dragon Ninja" but there is more to this cd than that. Take "And She Told Me To Leave," at the start you think its going to be a mellow, emo kind of song but then you get a blast of metal at the chorus (accompanied with a solo, but not a traditional solo, a more emotional solo) and you've got for an instant classic song. Ians singing are a bit questionable at times but you learn to love it. The amazingly catchy guitar of "Kobrakai" has made for one of the most famous LP songs ever. Now "The Handsome Life Of Swing" is a different story. It is the exact opposite of "Astmtl" because it is the heaviest song but delivers a very soft chorus. now we have the slow song "Still Laughing," but it is quite an amazing song. While being very mellow and emotional it still delivers a bit of a rock hit when the bridge comes along, plus Ian's singing is amazing, definitly his best song. I have found this to be one of my favorite CD's simply because of the music. Simply astounding. // 10

Lyrics: I am not even joking when I say that they wrote this album in a week, because I saw them say it, but it really shows in the lyrics. I don't know what Ian was thinking when he wrote the lyrics for "Kobrakai" but if he wanted it to come out like a corny western flick then mission accomplished. The only songs I found had good lyrics were "And She Told Me To Leave," "Still Laughing" and "Ode To Summer" which talks about the band reflecting on their childhood summers. All in all his lyrical ability is somewhat less than desired. // 7

Overall Impression: Since The Lostprophets sold out on their sophomore "Start Something" this is the best LP album. It is by far my favorite CD I own. if I lost it, I would freak out, cry, then go buy another one straight away. The most impressive songs on the album are: Shinobi, And She Told Me To Leave, Kobrakai, Still Laughing, and Ode To Summer. I love the emotional release that you get from listening to this CD. if you're having a bad or a good day, no matter what, this CD will get you smiling. // 10

The Fake Sound Of Progress Reviewed by: alexc123, on july 19, 2006

Sound: This was the second lp album I got, the first was there second album start something and when I got the fake sounds of progress I loved it. The first time I listened I was like, ooo this is a bit different, but after listening a couple more times it grew on me. The sound is alot different to Start Something. It is more metal and raw and less poppy. Its has a very unique sound though that is not very common. The songs on this album were written when they were bored in Whales and when they had no intention of getting into the chart. The guitar is great and theres alot of catchy riffs and funky solo type things that go on over the rythm guitar. The songs don't always follow the traditional verse chorus verse and cant start off very mellow and build up to become very heavy. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good on the album, there full of emotion and about being like the underdog or about being in your home town with your friends. Some of the lyrics are just totally random and dont make much sense. The singer Ian Watkins is very good, theres not much to say about it really the singing is just good. On the album there is also some screeching or shouting whatever you want to call it like on the song The Handsome Life of Swing, but its pretty good because it aint used all the time. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album is better than there second and more well known, Start Something. The Fake Sounds Of Progress is just better and has more feeling and was made when they were unknown and not in the public eye so they just did what they want and made there own unique style. This is apparant on Start Something but just not as much. Some good songs are, Shinobi Vs. Dragon Ninja, The Fake Sound Of Progress, Awkward and For Sure. If it were stolen yeah I would by a new copy and this cd is well worth any fan of lp. This album might not be the one for people who dont like anything to heavy though. // 9

More Lostprophets reviews rating latest review
+ Weapons 6.8 04/03/2012