Signs Of Life [EP] Review

Genre: Alternative Rock, Reggae Rock, Funk Rock
Label: Self-released
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Signs Of Life [EP] Reviewed by: bannigeri, on october 15, 2013

Sound: The vocalist is quite talented, and from what I've seen of live performances, he's the real deal. However, he doesn't steal the show, the musicians form a wonderful harmony with the vocalist. For one, the drummer steps out of the area where most musicians would define as their comfort zone, effectively using syncopated hi-hat grooves to drive home a point. The bass has wonderful sound, seriously some of the best bass playing I've ever heard; clever, creative basslines, melodic yet rhythmic. However, the guitarist, while not stealing the show, is the icing on the cake, a beautiful harmonious drizzle over the rest of the music, using clever chords to support the bassline and intelligent lead playing to assist the band in dominating the song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics could be better. They are good lyrics ("And when she's all alone I'll be/Under the clock tower it rains rains/The simple pleasures of being" (from "My Everything")). The best lyrics are from the last song, "Built From Clay." However, there are times where it gets too repetitive, the same lyrics just being repeated, and it no longer sounds as original. However, the vocalist is able to balance out the slight banality with clever singing parts. He shines in the songs "Built From Clay" and "My Everything," and basically every song on the album. // 8

Overall Impression: I give this a 9.5 out of 10. My only complaint is in lyrics, they could be better. I do think Louder Space is a strong contender against other bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers or the Foo Fighters, if only more people had heard of them. All 5 of the songs on the album are outstanding, but "Built From Clay" is a clear standout. Some of the songs have great solos as well, especially Wanderer. And nothing compares to the shift from the epic solo of "My Everything" to a great final chorus (my second favorite on the album, every member shows their best). I love everything about this album, and if it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again. // 9

Comments