Slick Dogs And Ponies Review

louis xiv: Slick Dogs And Ponies
Released: Jan 29, 2008
Genre: Indie Rock, Garage Rock
Label: Atlantic Records
Louis XIV came out with another unique and, in some views, disturbing album. The band's sound changed from the previous album, "The Best Little Secrets Are Kept", but they still keep to their main roots.
 8.8
 9.3
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Slick Dogs And Ponies Reviewed by: Mark Roxx, on april 23, 2009

Sound: On January 29, 2008, Louis XIV came out with another unique and, in some views, disturbing album. It was released on Atlantic Records. The band's sound changed from the previous album, "The Best Little Secrets Are Kept", but they still keep to their main roots. It's not too easy to find a band that sounds like Louis XIV. However a couple songs from Slick Dogs And Ponies could've been influenced by others. In Air Traffic Control, track two from the album, there are obvious similarities between this and David Bowie's Ground Control. However Louis XIV doesn't completely copy the song. Also, "Hopesick" resembles Blink-182's song "I'm Lost Without You" because of the sad feel to it, and the drum solo at the end. Louis XIV has got a style that some people may find tough to like, but if you're looking for something you'll never hear on the radio, Louis might be for you. // 9

Lyrics: The band's lyrics might be the one thing that makes them stand out from most bands today. (They were banned from doing any gigs in Alabama). Take the line "Two, four, six, eight who do you appreciate? Me, me, me, me. Me!" from There's a Traitor in this Room. This is what makes Louis so fun to listen to. There is much less about sex in their lyrics compared to "The Best Little Secrets Are Kept." Instead, they've gone to more clever humor, which should suit more people. As for the singers, (Jason Hill and Brian Karscig) they've got the perfect voices for the way their lyrics are. They can go from a low, sad voice (like in Hopesick) to a high, funny voice (in Misguided Sheep). The lyrics are what most Louis XIV fans love about them. // 10

Overall Impression: So let's do a song by song review now. 01.Guilt By Association: 9/10 Not the best song on the album but it's fun and catchy. 02.Air Traffic Control: 9/10 Might lack originality because of bowie's song. That doesn't mean it's a bad song, though. 03.Misguided Sheep: 7/10 Funny lyrics, but it'snothing special. 04.There's A Traitor In This Room: 10/10 Hilarious lyrics, very catchy too. My personal favorite. 05.Sometimes You Just Want To: 7/10 Not a horrible song, it is forgettable though. 06.Tina: 9/10 One of the most catchy basslines I've heard, even though it's a simple song. 07.Stalker: 7/10 Creepy lyrics, kind of repetitive. 08.Free Won't Be What It Used To Be: 6/10 Pretty boring, but I've heard worse. 09.Swarming Of The Bees: 8/10 Pretty nice, I think it should've been longer. 10.Hopesick: 10/10 The lyrics are touching, which isn't something you would expect from them. 11.Slick Dogs And Ponies: 8/10 I had higher expectations from this one, but I still like it. So that's a 90/110. Pretty good I think. Overall, Slick Dogs And Ponies is a great album that's definitely worth listening to. But Lous XIV isn't the best band in the world... Yet. // 9

More Louis Xiv reviews rating latest review