Get Lucky Review

loverboy: Get Lucky
Released: Oct 7, 1981
Genre: Hard Rock
Label: Columbia
"Get Lucky" is the classic album by Loverboy that everyone has heard at least one or two songs from, including "Working for the Weekend."
 7.4
 7.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Get Lucky Reviewed by: Mad-Mike_J83, on august 19, 2014

Sound: Ah yes, "Get Lucky," this is their classic album that everyone has heard at least one or two songs from, including "Working for the Weekend." The overall sound of this album changes quite a bit from the first, they have a more defined direction, sort of a hard rock meets new wave (think Geffen era Sammy Hagar) type vibe.

Gear-wise, not too much has changed, Scott's still using the Warwick Bass, Dougie still has his Yamaha CS-80 monster synth but is also using what sounds like a Fender/Rhodes electric piano through a Roland Chorus amp on "Take Me to the Top."

The real gear hound on this album is guitarist Paul Dean, who is, at this point, using the funky strat from the first album, and an armada of "Dean Machine" prototypes which later became the Odyssey/Hondo Paul Dean model guitars. He's still got the Hiwatt, but is also using a Marshall with a Roland RE-301 Chorus Echo acting as a preamp ("Take Me to the Top," "When It's Over," "Gangs in the Street"), easily told due to that weird vocal flanger thing he has going on.

Mike Reno's vocal style is still the same, even if he seems a little more comfortable and in his element this time. Overall, the sound is getting to be that familiar sound everyone thinks of when they think "Loverboy" - and "Working for the Weekend" was the song that set that standard. The sound is a lot more stripped down, you can hear each instrument, there were far less overdubs, some songs are actually quite raw, such as "Take Me to the Top," which sounds almost like they just jammed it live and got it right in one take.

BONUS: The Deluxe Edition additions:

"Working for the Weekend" - rather rough demo that's pretty good, though Reno does not cut his vocals loose. Supposedly this is Paul Dean playing into a Sony cassette deck, if so, he's getting some pretty killer tone from a boom box! The mix is pretty good, and very dry, so everything is hearable. In a way, I like this better than the commonly known version.

"Boy Likes the Girl" - Sounds like it could have been on the first album, there's that funky Strat through the Marshall ala "Turn Me Loose" again. In some ways, I think this should have been made into a deluxe edition of the first album between "Lady of the '80s" and "Little Girl."

"I Told You So" - some cassette recorder demo of Reno and Dean singing over acoustic guitar that lasts about a minute. Totally incomplete, kind of neato.

"Your Town Saturday Night" - This could have been on this album, probably in place of "Watch Out" (which I do like as well, but feel "Watch Out" was a better fit for the first album, sounds overdubbed or like Paul Dean got a new chorus pedal and just rode it through the whole song). This could have also been a good neurotic closer to the full album. // 8

Lyrics:

Once again, Loverboy is a PARTY band... Don't expect Shakespeare! Don't expect The Doors even. Each song has a distinct meaning put fourth in its lyrics. Here's a song play by play.

"Working for the Weekend" - Everyone works 40+ hours a week to go to the bar and get lucky!
"When It's Over" - When he breaks your heart, I'll be there.
"Jump" - Better get ready to run when they find us sneakin around here getting intimate.
"Gangs in the Street" - Gangs = Bad News
"Emotional" - You put your greed and your emotions before logic!
"Lucky Ones" - Only the "Lucky Ones" are notable... but just like "The Kid" where will they be tomorrow?
"Watch Out" - Sounds like a p-ssed off (ex-)boyfriend ranting
"It's Your Life" - You don't own/owe me, do what you want
"Take Me to the Top" - I think we all know what this one is about

Reno is a great singer with awesome range and excellent control of his voice. Not a bum note out of the guy the whole album long. However, we also get to hear someone different on the song "Emotional." Who is it that steps up to mic but Paul Dean. Dean is not nearly as skillful as Reno and has sort of a smoky bluesy thing with his voice that serves that song well, it's also more raw and rough. It puts more of a "Dive Bar"/"Smoky Pool Room" vibe on the song which fits the vibe.

Overall, I give it a 7, at times, the lyrics can get pretty bad.

Worst lines on the album - "Gangs in the Street":

"Lookin' for you
Lookin' for me
Gangs in the Street
Ready for You
Ready for me"

"Gangs in the Street" is saved solely by it's killer metal guitar riffage, one of the heaviest songs LB did in their early catalog, but the lyrics are laughable, which seems par for the course, Loverboy usually has at least one song an album during the first 3 that has seemingly adolescent lyrics. But when the lyrics stink, the music makes up for it.

// 7

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists, a vast majority of others are stronger in the lyrics department, but musically, these guys got their own identity, especially on this album, which set the stage for my personal favorite - Keep It Up, which comes up next in my reviews. The best tracks on this album, I'd say "Lucky Ones," "Take Me to the Top," "When It's Over," and crappy lyrics aside - "Gangs in the Street." "Emotional" is pretty good too. "Jump" and "Watch Out" feel like filler, and "Working for the Weekend" is an overplayed cliché in 2014.

To be honest, this is Loverboy's "The Cars" album - just like the first "Cars" album, there's a pile of heavily played radio hits on it that people of the time would easily remember... And "Working for the Weekend" is Loverboy's "Just What I Needed." If you need a good album to put on during a party to keep the party going with some familiarity thrown in - this is the one.

Overall, I give it an 8, and it'd be pretty hard to part me from it as I own the deluxe edition in digital, the original on vinyl, and have a copy on cassette and CD as well which I've accumulated over the years. However, if you only like a few of the songs, you could purchase one of the greatest hits compilations - such as "Super Hits," "Temperature's Rising," or "Greatest Hits," and have most of the songs off this album, actually, all but "Emotional" and "Watch Out" are on the "Greatest Hits" album. Overall, an 8, this IS the '80s of that time, but it does have a few flaws here and there, mostly in the lyrics department. // 8

More Loverboy reviews rating latest review
+ Loverboy 7.4 12/13/2011