Far Q Review

Label: Wolf At Your Door
 9.4
 9.8
Far Q Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on march 30, 2011

Sound: In this day and age, rarely are we introduced to new bands that capture the raw intensity of the early punk scene. Bands like Blink-182, Green Day, and All Time Low take the simple, yet energetic instrumentals, but dilute them with lovesick lyrics. Lower Than Atlantis just may be our modern savior from Punk-Pop. Every bit as pissed off and loud as acts such as Black Flag or the Circle Jerks, Lower Than Atlantis show modern audiences what it truly means to be in a Punk Rock band. From the beginning you can tell that these four British lads don't plan on slowing down. Opening song Far Q is a great kickoff, leading into B.O.R.E.D., which is quite possibly the best hardcore headknocker since the Circle Jerks wrote Wild In The Streets. The album almost never veers away from this all out attack, but that isn't to say the songs are at all the same. They incorperate intriguing melodies and guitar lines in their work (see Eating Is Cheating or the surprisingly calm Mike Duce's Symphony in D Minor) that make them stand out as an even more noteworthy band. // 8

Lyrics: Pissed off, vicious, bored, all these describe Lower Than Atlantis lyrically. Their delivery gives off a sense of urgency that isn't common in modern music. So long has the classic "one, two, F*** you" approach been abandoned in punk that it's almost just a distant memory. The vocals are absolutely stellar, giving off the feel of a disgruntled youth with a bit more wit and political know-how backing that opinion. // 9

Overall Impression: There are so many high points in this album that I honestly can't find a low. It's everything I love about punk without the watering down that most modern artists practice. Lower Than Atlantis are showing great promise in the modern Punk genre with this release, exclusively released in their home country of England. News has it that it will be offered with their Summerian Records debut World Record over here in the states. No matter what the quality of the new release will be, I would highly recommend picking up the album just so you can have this near perfect release. For fans of Black Flag, Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, Henry Rollins Band. // 9

Far Q Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 11, 2011

Sound: The new kids on the UK punk/hardcore music scene, Lower Than Atlantis are standing out among the genre with some powerful, grunge like music. And with their debut, "Far-Q" they prove their headed for the top! Following on from the in-your-face EP "Bretton", LTA's debut is quite stunning! With many personal and quite brutally honest songs such as "B.O.R.E.D" or "I'm Not Bulimic", from the get go you know this is gonna be a ripper of an album! // 9

Lyrics: "Every band I've ever loved have broken up, and every girl I was thinking of never gave a f--k!" with lyrics like this you know LTA wear quite a bit on their sleeves, but that is a necessity these days in the music bis. Especially in punk rock. Singer.rhythm-guitarist Mike Deuce, has quite a raw and rough voice wether he sings or screams, but still it's quite appealing after a while. // 9

Overall Impression: Standout tracks: B.O.R.E.D. I'm Not Bulimic. Taping Songs Off The Radio. Extra! Extra! Read All About it. In fact all 12 songs on offer are really good! But I find it difficult to tell what bands to compare LTA to, so you must listen to understand, you must hear this to be enlightened. // 10

More Lower Than Atlantis reviews rating latest review