Crash My Party Review

Genre: Country, Pop
Label: Capitol Nashville
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
Crash My Party Reviewed by: BwareDWare94, on august 23, 2013

Sound: The sound of Luke Bryan's new album destroys any notions of it being a country record, regardless of the genre listing on its sales tag. "Crash My Party" is chalk full of pop tunes not-so-cleverly disguised as country songs (a repeating two second steel ride in each verse or chorus does not make something country). Nevertheless, there are some beautiful songs on "Crash My Party" (the title track, "We Run This Town," "Out Like That"), but they don't make up for the album-opening atrocity entitled "That's My Kind of Night." How Bryan can even justify putting this song on one of his albums is beyond me, but as country radio waves continue to suffer from an untreatable pop infection headlined by hardcore sell outs Blake Shelton and Tim McGraw, more and more artists are abandoning the pop-crossover title for full on, bubbly, migraine inducing pop. "That's My Kind of Night" is currently climbing the charts as more gullible, trend following, fiercely dependent on anything but themselves Americans continue to post music voting patterns that make me believe that the society depicted in Mike Judge's "Idiocracy" may be in our not-too-distant future. // 5

Lyrics: "...she was like, oh my god, this is my song." You probably think I'm kidding, but I promise that if you pop in this record, you'll hear that line in one of the songs. When I listened to this record, the lyrics often had me scratching my head, asking why, why, why would you put that in a song? Bryan leans heavily on songwriters for the first time on "Crash My Party," and it shows. While his prior albums contained songs that he had no hand in writing, the majority of the songs still had his name on them, and you could hear a little extra authenticity because of that, but on this record the lyrics are so bad that I'm surprised that the writers even bothered to put their pens to the paper. As far as singing is concerned, Bryan is a decent vocalist, but he's not nearly as good as some people would like you to believe. There are better vocalists littered all over current radio waves (Chris Young, Eric Church, and Brett Eldredge, to name a few). Either way, Luke's vocal performance is good enough to carry the lyrics to the finish line, but with sub-par material on his hands, his voice was only able to do too much. // 5

Overall Impression: If someone were to steal this album, I'd wonder who they'd stolen it from, because I certainly will not be purchasing this piece of trash. Yes, there are a handful of decent songs, but most of it is pop nonsense about drinking beer and girls from the past. It's a regression for a once promising artist - I, for one, was a huge Luke Bryan supporter until he released the genuinely awful "Country Girl (Shake It for Me)." People want to say that country music is evolving, but the truth of the matter is that a handful of once respected artists are reaching for pop success while being abrasive enough to act as if they're still recording country songs. Unfortunately for those of us who first heard Luke Bryan releasing wonderful songs like "We Rode in Trucks," he has jumped head first into the current pop trend, leaving his original fans to wonder what the hell has happened to his obvious talent.

// 5