The Absence Review

9.3
 7.7
review (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
The Absence Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 10, 2009

Sound: This is probably the catchiest album I have ever heard in my life. For a debut, this album kicks huge ass. Crushing riffs, brutal and soaring vocals, beautiful harmonies, and dead on precise drumming make this CD one of my favourites of 09. Now it was released way back in February but I just realized that UG never had a review up. Luna Mortis needs to be heard. They are a ground breaking mix of bands like Arch Enemy/Carcass meeting Nightwish/Lacuna Coil. When their frontwoman, yes woman, screams she is extremely reminiscent of Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), and when singing has her own original tone. Boy does she have pipes, her work in this album skyrockets her to the top of my list of metal's best female musicians. Every song has its own thing going on, very exciting. Rarely ever a dull moment. Oh, forgot to mention, their lead guitarist can shred! About 4:30 into the last track, he buts out when of the best blazing licks I've ever heard soaring the song into a whole new direction. // 9

Lyrics: This woman, Mary Zimmer, is unbelievably talented. Love her voice, love her sceams, love her growls, love her singing. Imagine Angela Gossow with the singing abilities of Anette from Nightwish. The lyrics are nothing out of the ordinary, fitting the songs well, they are usually about fantasy, rebellion, afterlife. But her voice, wow, leaves me speechless. Her skills are easily the highlight of the album with the shredding guitars close behind. // 10

Overall Impression: Quite an original album. Each song has its own thing going on and making them stand out from the rest. It has its heavy moments, its beautiful moments, and its epic moments. Everything you could ask for in a CD. I love everything about it, every song will leave you with a catchy chorus stuck in your head. Every song has this absolutely catchy moment. Pretty much every song is single quality. Get this album in some way, you will love it. I can't wait for their next release, if it is in anyway better or as good as this album, then wow. Wow. // 9

Comments