Spooky Review

9.4
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Spooky Reviewed by: swave75, on july 06, 2011

Sound: I saw this band at Lollapalooza '92 as the opening act. I was totally blown away by them and have loved them ever sense. They were touring in support of their album "Spooky" which was produced by Cocteau Twins guitarist Robin Guthrie. On this album they use heavily layered guitars with an assortment of effects and layered vocals provided Emma Anderson and Miki Berenyi who are also the songwriters. // 10

Lyrics: The songs on this album are mainly about relationships which is Lush's bread and butter for writing material. Their music (especially on this album) gets compared to dreampop bands My Bloody Valentine and of course the Cocteau Twins. I would say Lush has more of a rock quality to their music than those two bands. Check out the guitars on "Ocean". It sounds like you are holding a seashell to your ear. Very very cool effects on that one. Same for the opening song "Stray" and "Superblast!". // 9

Overall Impression: I would say that this is their best album though I love them all. It's a shame that they didn't make more or get more of a following. My most favorite songs are "Fantasy", "Monochrome", "Ocean", but most of all "Nothing Natural". Awesome song with a great video. I would say "Laura" is my least favorite song. If it were lost I would buy two copies as insurance not to be without it again. // 10

Comments