Gimme Back My Bullets Review

artist: lynyrd skynyrd date: 06/01/2007 category: compact discs
lynyrd skynyrd: Gimme Back My Bullets
Release Date: Feb 1976
Label: MCA
Genres: Southern Rock, Blues-Rock, Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Arena Rock, Boogie Rock, Album Rock
1976 LP, whose title referred not to ammunition, but to the Billboard term "#1 with a bullet," found the normally three-fisted Florida guitar army one axe short.
 9.2
 9.3
 9.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Gimme Back My Bullets Reviewed by: aig91, on june 01, 2007

Sound: Lynyrd Skynyrd is often considered one of the greatest southern rock bands of all time and I agree. The sound on this album is pure Skynyrd with a unique twist. Before they recorded this album they lost their third guitarist Ed King. He packed up and left the band in the middle of a tour. With only two guitarists left in the band they were missing a very important ingredient in their sound but had to carry on anywyay. There are 9 tracks and 6 bonus tracks on this album. Gimme Back My Bullets has everything from energetic rock 'n' roll songs such as Searchin' or Cry For the Bad Man to calmer and more deeply felt songs such as All I Can Do Is Write About It. They've even covered an old blues tune called Same Old Blues from J.J. Cale and have included it on this album. This album goes farther than just rock 'n' roll. There's also some blues and a little bit of country. // 9

Lyrics: Ronnie Van Zant was a very real, down-to-earth lyricist. He spoke what was in his heart and wouldn't have it any other way. His songs were often based on or inspired by real events and always had a way of reaching someone. With the release of this album Ronnie Van Zant continues to show that he was a gifted songwriter as well as a singer. One of the songs that impressed me the most lyrically was the song All I Can Do Is Write About It. It's very genuine and heartspoken and goes a little deeper than expected. It's an acoustic tune about Ronnie Van Zant's outlook on how things were changing and how he enjoyed the natural world and the laid-back honesty of the American south. // 10

Overall Impression: I have the deluxe edition of this album and it includes a bonus DVD of Lynyrd Skynyrd's live performance at The Old Grey Whistle Test on November 11th, 1975. The songs that they performed on the DVD are Double Trouble, I Ain't the One, Call Me the Breeze, Same Old Blues, Every Mother's Son, Sweet Home Alabama, and Free Bird. I would recommend the deluxe edition with the bonus DVD for any hardcore Lynyrd Skynyrd fan or anyone who appreciates Skynyrd's music. This album may not have not gotten as much recognition as other Lynyrd Skynyrd albums but that does not mean it was not a great album. The songs on here are classic songs and I was definitely not disappointed with the selection. A couple of songs that are my personal favorites are Cry For the Bad Man and All I Can Do Is Write About It although they are all remarkable. There isn't anything that I would change about this album. It is outstanding just the way it is. If this album were stolen I would without a doubt buy it again because it is an important part of my CD collection. // 9

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review