Nuthin' Fancy Review

artist: lynyrd skynyrd date: 07/03/2008 category: compact discs
lynyrd skynyrd: Nuthin' Fancy
Release Date: Mar 1975
Label: MCA
Genres: Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Album Rock, Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Arena Rock, Boogie Rock
Most hard rock bands would give their left arm for a record that swaggers and hits as hard as Nuthin' Fancy.
Nuthin' Fancy Reviewed by: aig91, on january 20, 2007

Sound: The sound on Nuthin Fancy is great. Once again, Lynyrd Skynyrd proves that they have a great variety of sounds to choose from. There are great hard rock songs such as Saturday Night Special and On The Hunt. There are also some slow, bluesy songs such as Cheatin' Woman that are great to listen to when you just want to relax. There's also a little bit of a country sound on this album including the songs Am I Losin' and Made In the Shade. The song Made in the Shade sounds like country blues tune and it sort of has a back porch feel to it. Overall, the sound on this album is very enjoyable. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on Nuthin Fancy are very heartspoken and right to the point. Ronnie Van Zant's words are always very genuine and down-to-earth, and he was never afraid to speak his mind. Some songs on this album have a strong message, such as Saturday Night Special, which mentions the dangers of not having gun control. Another song, entitled Railroad Song, tells a captivating story that Ronnie Van Zant wrote about a train. There are other songs that a lot of feelings were put into. Good examples of this are the songs I'm A Country Boy and Am I Losin'. Ronnie Van Zant wrote Am I Losin' about former Lynyrd Skynyrd drummer, Bob Burns after he left the band. One of the lines in this song are, "Why am I losin' one of my best friends?" The words to many of these songs are something that people can relate to or agree with. // 9

Overall Impression: Nuthin Fancy is definitely a great album. It may not be Lynyrd Skynyrd's best, but it is widely accepted by Lynyrd Skynyrd fans everywhere. It has a very enjoyable and easy to listen to collection of songs. Two songs that are very popular among Skynyrd fans are Saturday Night Special and Whiskey Rock-A-Roller. One of my personal favorites is Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins' On the Hunt. This album is unquestionably an important part of my CD collection. If it were stolen, I would go to the store and buy another one for sure. // 8

Nuthin' Fancy Reviewed by: JI-HALL, on july 03, 2008

Sound: The classic southern rock sound again with super songs that we all love, The guitar solos fit excellently in all of the songs, and you will never get sick of it, They make fantastic use of ronnie's singing on this great CD, you have got a lot of songs from rock to country, this CD is typical Lynyrd Skynyrd fan's dream, and you couldn't ask for much more (except for more songs). // 8

Lyrics: Terrific lyrics From ronnie van zant as allways, although it has'nt got some of there most famous songs it is still a great album, in every song they make there is a meaning to it like he got beaten up or a story of a guitar player, But overall the lyrics fit with the music, and are thought out very well to give you a picture of what there lives are like. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this album to others they've made, but it is not there best. I was very impressed with "Railroad Song" and "Whiskey Rock-A-Roller". "On The Hunt" has a catchy riff to it in my opinion, and you'll be singing it all day. One bad thing about this CD is that it's very short, with only 8 tracks (very sad). If this CD was stolen from me I would might get it but I might have to have a think because it only has 8 songs it. // 8

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review