Second Helping Review

artist: lynyrd skynyrd date: 06/26/2007 category: compact discs
lynyrd skynyrd: Second Helping
Release Date: Apr 1974
Label: MCA
Genres: Southern Rock, Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Album Rock, Boogie Rock, Blues-Rock, Arena Rock
Lynyrd Skynyrd wrote the book on Southern rock with their first album, so it only made sense that they followed it for their second album, aptly titled Second Helping.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
Second Helping Reviewed by: obey_yourmaster, on july 26, 2006

Sound: The classic southern rock sound. Mostly electric guitars, drums, bass, and vocals. They experimented with a dobro in the song, "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew", which fit perfectly considering that Curtis Loew played a dobro. The guitar solos fit excellently in all of the songs, and the songs never get too long or repeatitive. They make excellent use of all instruments on this CD, and go from slow, bluesy songs (such as "I Need You") to happy, upbeat songs (such as "Sweet Home Alabama"). This CD is typical Lynyrd Skynyrd, and you couldn't ask for much more. // 10

Lyrics: Terrific lyrics. From "Sweet Home Alabama" to "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew". "Sweet Home Alabama" deals with Neil Young's song, "Southern Man", which put down Southerners. "I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern man don't need him around, anyhow" says in a nutshell what the entire song was about. "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" is about an old blues player that Van Zandt used to pay to play for him. I honestly have no idea if this is true, but a great song, nonetheless. A few songs' meanings are right in the title. "Workin' For MCA" is a song about, you guessed it, working for MCA records. Some of the lyrics are hard to deceifer, such as "The Needle and The Spoon". I haven't figured them out yet. But overall, the lyrics fit with the music, and are thought out well. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't compare this album to others they've made, because I don't own any other Skynyrd albums. I was very impressed with "Sweet Home Alabama" and "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew". "Workin' For MCA" has a good beat to it, and you'll be singing it all day. I love almost everything about this CD. I especially enjoy thier uncanny ability to play both fast, upbeat songs, and also play slow, sad songs. One bad thing about this CD is that it's very short, with only 8 tracks. But then again, it was probably released originally on an 8-track. If this CD was stolen/lost, I probably would spend the money on Skynyrd's Greatest Hits CD. While this CD may have some of their best songs on it, it certainly does not have all of them. But for the amount of material on the CD, it is a great album. // 8

Second Helping Reviewed by: bassmanelijah, on june 26, 2007

Sound: Now this is where history was made. This album marks the debut of Lynyrd Skynyrd's signature "three guitar attack". They were able to convince their former bassist back into the band and move the current bassist to guitar. A decision that, in my opinion, could not have been better. This album showcases the skill of Lynyrd Skynyrd as a band. From the slower, more thought provoking songs such as 'The Ballad of Curtis Lowe' to the southern anthem 'Sweet Home Alabama'. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are rather varied. Ranging from the up-beat style heard in 'Sweet Home Alabama' to slower bluesy songs like 'I Need You' to a slightly depressing song about drugs entitled 'The Needle and The Spoon'. Ronnie Van Zant does an awesome job on this album. As his second album, it is an excellent showcase of his vocal skills. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was the beginning of the Lynyrd Skynyrd sound. All the albums that followed, up until the plane accident, used this style. In my honest opinion, this is one of the best Lynyrd Skynyrd albums ever recorded. Without a doubt, songs such as 'The Ballad of Curtis Lowe', 'They Call Me the Breeze', and of course, 'Sweet Home Alabama' will continue to be held as anthems in the world of southern rock. // 10

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review