The Collection Review

artist: lynyrd skynyrd date: 02/05/2007 category: compact discs
lynyrd skynyrd: The Collection
Release Date: Aug 28, 2001
Label: Polygram International
Genres: Arena Rock, Album Rock, Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Southern Rock, Boogie Rock, Hard Rock
A Lynyrd Skynyrd compilation that doesn't include "Free Bird"? Sounds preposterous, but that's the exact cardinal sin that the 17-track The Collection commits.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
The Collection Reviewed by: tilleking, on february 05, 2007

Sound: Who hasn't heard Lynyrd Skynyrd? Practically everyone in the English-speaking world has heard "Sweet Home Alabama" god knows how many times! In my opinion, these southern rockers have one of the best sounds in rock music. This CD puts all of their best stuff together, to make a really 'fun' and enjoyable compilation CD! Every guitar solo fits into it's song perfectly, rhythym is mostly upbeat and groovy, the drums keep each song going nicely, and then of course, you've got good old piano, which sounds fantastic in every song (in which it features). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are brilliant for each and every song. Van Zandt has a terrific voice. It's a really memorable voice; though he does tend to 'slur' some of his words, so lyrics can be hard to decipher. The vocals fit into this music perfectly. Some of the songs do have meanings, such as "Sweet Home Alabama" which is a response to a Neil Young song ("Southern Man") which put down Southerners. "Working for MCA" is pretty self-explanatory. It's a song about working for 'MCA Records'! One of my favourite songs which I love to sing along to is "Simple Man" (the original version), which is a real 'pick-me-up' if you're feeling down or sorry for yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall impression of the CD is a really good one. Every song is fantastic in it's own way. It'll have you listening for years! Sadly, though, "Free Bird" does not feature on this CD (though I have no idea why it wouldn't)! But even without it, it's an incredible CD. I'm impressed by most every song, because most come with epic guitar solos, which sound awesome. I love everything about this CD, including the price I paid! 3.33 on Amazon.co.uk seemed like too much of a bargain to miss! The bottom line is, if you're into rock, classic or modern, you'll love this CD. // 9

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review