The Essential Review

lynyrd skynyrd: The Essential
Release Date: Aug 25, 1998
Label: MCA
Genres: Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Blues-Rock, Boogie Rock
This two-disc, 25-track anthology makes the perfect introductory set to this Southern rock institution, and one great career overview for longtime fans.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
The Essential Reviewed by: JI-HALL, on april 21, 2008

Sound: The bands great sound from the guitar solo's by the three greatest guitar player's to the vocals of ronnie van zant, this DVD is a true Skynyrd fan's dream. It has all of there greatest songs in a two CD set they have ever made and there is also a live and recorded free bird, so if you don't like the recorded version then you could just listen to the live version, how great is that. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals of ronnie van zant are amazing, he touch's your heart in simple man and a few other's but then he makes you feel joy full in I know a little and more. Most of the songs have a story in them like "Gimmie Three Steps" it is about Ronnie dancing with a girl who asks him too but her boyfriend catch's them dancing together and he say's "Gimmie three steps to the door". // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not really compare to any other's and is one of my favourite albums Lynyrd Skynyrd did, for me the most impressive songs in the album are simple man (touch's your heart) and free bird (the five minute solo). If this album was stolen from me I would no doubt buy the same one as soon as I can. // 9

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review