Vicious Cycle Review

artist: lynyrd skynyrd date: 12/05/2005 category: compact discs
lynyrd skynyrd: Vicious Cycle
Release Date: May 20, 2003
Label: Sanctuary
Genres: Southern Rock, Album Rock, Hard Rock, Rock & Roll, Arena Rock, Blues-Rock, Boogie Rock
Easily Skynyrd's best work in years and a welcome return to form for one of rock's most treasured assets.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Vicious Cycle Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2005

Sound: This is the record from the reunited Lynyrd Skynyrd group, they put out a couple years ago. The new members have changed their sound alot but they still rock. The main differences is the lack of the blues like songs from their early years, and there is more of a metal hard rock sound. Ricky Medlocke and Rossington still do some of the best solos ever, and Johnny VZant voice goes well with it. The only thing wrong is that it seems that alot of songs intros sound the same and johnny hums a little bit at the beginning of most of them. Song "That's How I Like It" is a full out southern rock song that runs in the vein of "I Ain't The One" and "You Got That Right." There is also more ballad like songs like "Heaven Or Hell" which is full of feeling and sounds great. // 9

Lyrics: Johnny can still sing pretty could given his age, and the band still writes good stuff. The best lyrics can be found on Heaven or Hell, The Way, and life's lessons. Some of the songs delve into shallow country like genre but not enought to make you not like them. All in all the lyrics are balanced and thoughtful. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitely the best album I've bought this year. It rocks harder and with more feeling than most of the newer bands albums of 2004. Thats saying alot. The best songs are forementioned in the sound section, but there is also a kickass version of gimme back my bullets with kid rock. I like most the songs on this album and would go buy it if stolen. // 10

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review