Overworld Review

machinae supremacy: Overworld
Released: February 13, 2008
Genre: SID Metal/Metal
Label: Spinefarm Records
Overworld is the third album by the Swedish metal band Machinae Supremacy, which was released on February 13, 2008.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Overworld Reviewed by: Krohffeh, on december 12, 2008

Sound: Machinae supremacy's newest addition to their discography contains some of the most well produced songs they've ever made. They have taken a step away from that epic "power" feel some songs on Redeemer had, and are going for a little heavier sound. Something that is noticable is that the SID sounds are a little different this time around (They use a so called SID-station for the commandore 64 sounds.). On Deus ex machinae the SID sounds were always there, and on redeemer they seem to have tried to distance themself from it, but on Overworld they have found a good ballance. Some songs are really heavy like Edge and pearl, Dark city and Conveyer, who are all dripping with meaty riffs and sweet guitar solos. And some are kind of punky and energized like Overworld and Need for steeve. This may or may not mess some people up, since the album is so bland in mood, it doesn't seem to have any red line through it (I myself have no problem with it though.) Something that is really great in my opinion is the sound of the bass. MaSu's bass has always been kind of unoticable and simple, but on this CD the bass is sweet and you can feel the groove, really. This may be because of the new bass player, and the fact that all the bass tracks are backed-up by a SID-bass. Robert Stjrnstrms vocals has also improved quite alot, and does not come off as whiny as on the earlier CD's, Wich is a really important improvement, since that is the most popular complaint on their sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album ranges from punky in-your-face lyrics that is found on the title track overworld, to subliminal dark lyrics that is found in Edge and pearl. A usuall lyrical theme in MaSu's songs is the Big-brother thing; that the gouvernment is trying to control the society and such. An example of this theme is found on the cover of the album, where you see a woman with a barcode on her cheek. The singing is melodic and does not have any screams or growls. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album in my opinion. However it has not been too well recieved with some of the fans, some say it is a bad album, and some just say that redeemer was a stronger album. My opinion would be that, the mixing and overall sound of overworld is a lot more solid than redeemer, but redeemers songs has got a kind of feeling that overworld doesn't have. But still, I have had a long thinker on this and I have settled for Overworld as the better one of the two, but only because the overall quality of the album, the mixing, the singing, the bass etc sounds a lot smoother on this album. I allready own two signed copies of the album, so if one was stolen I'd have a spare, but if both got stolen, I'd undoubtably buy a new one. // 9

More Machinae Supremacy reviews rating latest review