Burn My Eyes Review

Lyrics: 7.4
 8.7
 9.3
Burn My Eyes Reviewed by: South-of-Heaven, on april 07, 2007

Sound: Machine Head's sinister, dark, concrete tone says everything about them, and especially this album. A lot of harmonics are used here to increase the metallic nature of the riffs like "The Rage To Overcome" and "Davidian". Very good drumming and bass work. Chris Kontos sounds like he's on the adrenaline pills for weeks, while the bass is heavy and sludgy like it is with Pantera and Sepultura. While "Blood for Blood", "Block" and "Davidian" are but three of the most fissurising tracks you will ever hear, Robb and Logan use the clean drive to open "None But My Own", "A Nation On Fire" and "I'm You're God Now" before cranking up the crunch a couple of hundred notches for the main section of the songs. Overall, I think this is a well produced slab of heavy metal and is among the heaviest of albums by a thrash metal band. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics aren't the best of lyrics, and could use a bit more emotion. "None But My Own", "Death Church", "Blood for Blood" and "The Rage to Overcome" stand out as well written tracks, while "Davidian" and "Thousand Lies" have great lyrics that don't fit together well, which is a shame. A monster hook can still be found on "Davidian" though ("Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!!"). "Block" is attitude friendly ("f--k it all!") and on "A Nation On Fire" Robb waits until close to the end to yell the title of the track at his vocals limits. Quite good lyrics here, but some major flaws here and there for the singers penning. // 9

Overall Impression: Heavier than recent release "The Blackening", and better than every other release, "Burn My Eyes" is close to being a flat out masterpiece. The tracks are well thought up and only a few minor flaws to be found here and there. 01. Davidian - metal up your ass. From the frantic drum introduction courtesy of Chris Kontos to the slow anger releasing dual guitaring at the end this is one of the best metal songs you will damn well hear. 02. Old - great bassline and some awesome riffs on the albums second song. Some lyrics that Robb could have got shit for by Christians (which is good) and one great hook equals one great chunk of metal. 03. Thousand Lies - damn catchy, great riffs, and one sinister intro makes this songs pedigree something to shout about. The ending drags on a bit, but some awesome solos to make up for it. Impressive. 04. None But My Own - some nice refreshing clean guitaring kicks off this song. But then about 20 seconds in it vanishes to form one beast of a track. "I am just a man with these two fists". And a brilliant guitarist too, Robb. 05. The Rage To Overcome - quite frankly, this is a(nother) great song. That riff, that solo, that chorus, simply awesome. The riff after the chorus is the only drawback for this song since it's repeated over and over again. 06. Death Church - one shit intro, but one hell of a freaky tune! The riffs combined with the vocals make this a track to reserve for lonely nights. The talking at the start is a major let down here, though. 07. A Nation On Fire - should have called it "A Listeners Ass On Fire", because this song kicks you out of the security the clean intro gives you. As the clean riff goes on, it morphs into a tense rhythm to accompany Robb's surprisingly soft singing, enter heaviness, and one of the track picks for the album. 08. Blood For Blood - any faster and the velocity would kill you. Some real good harmonics at the start, and some kick ass riffs. The old cleanness creeps in after the second chorus under the distortion. I love this song. 09. I'm Your God Now - another clean beginning leading to some kick ass heavy riffs. Features lyrics from Metallica's "Harvester of Sorrow" ("Drink up, Shoot in". Debauchery). Not the best of songs here, but it's Machine Head, you gotta love. 10. Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies - instrumental. Snippets of conversations concerning the status of modern American society over a continuous riff. The worst song here in my opinion, mainly because there is a grand total of one riff. But still sounds good. 11. Block - great riffs, great lyrics, great way to end a great album. Brings in the good old fifth fret harmonics for the chorus, and is one motherf--ker of a track. If it was stolen or lost I would buy the rest of the Machine Head albums I don't have yet (even thought they are "Burning Red" and "Supercharger") before buying this again, since I have all the songs on my computer anyways. I love the simple riffs in this, they rule over the abstract technicality on "The Blackening", the only things I dislike is the opening to "Death Church" and the ending to "Thousand Lies". But other than that it's just great. // 10

Burn My Eyes Reviewed by: hotdog_warmcat, on august 10, 2004

Sound: When I think of metal, I think of this album. All metal begins with Machine Head, and this is the album that started this trend. I was completely blown away by this album. It is truly a metal album. It's screaming harmonics, drop d fifths, and pulsing bass makes this an essential album for all metal fans. I own somewhere around 200 c.d.'s and I must say, this is one of my top 5. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are tough to judge. Contrary to what the other review said, the lyrics cover a variety of situations- from the problems of the world today to fear to rejection. Rob's skills were still developing as far as the singing goes, but he certainly gets by. The lyrics fit so perfectly with the music it's truly incredible. One of my favorite things about this album is how the riffs are played directly into the verses without even a hint of a quarter rest. A good example of this would be the riff going into the first verse of Davidian. All fits well, I don't know how the songs could have been more diverse or well-written, but the singing is slightly underdeveloped at this point. // 8

Overall Impression: It would not be a stretch to call this my favorite album. I keep going back and forth between this album and Machine Head's new album, "Through The Ashes Of Empires". I would say this album ranks up with "Master Of Puppets", "Paranoid", and of course, "Through The Ashes Of Empires" as one of the greatest metal albums of all time. My favorite song on the album is either "Old", "Block", or "Davidian". It is a really hard choice to make, because all of the songs on this album are truly incredible. The only song on this album that lacks is probably "Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies". This song is instrumental, with the same riff played over, over, and over again, with just simple news clips played throughout the song. Cool name for the song though. I almost regret trading for it, I wish I would have bought it myself, just because it seems a travesty for my friend not to have it. Not to mention, it says on the front of it in big letters, "Licensed under BMG Direct". That angers me. I almost wish I would get it stolen, so I could go out and buy it again, just to amp up the sales of this jaw-dropping album. Bottom line: I f--kin' love it. // 10

Burn My Eyes Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2003

Sound: YES! Aww man this is were it's at, the riffs are bone crushing on this album! only prob is its downtuned so don't think you can play along, its like heavy new metal with solos! // 10

Lyrics: Davidian is a great piece of songwriting, but al the other lyrics are of the same subject. Back then it would seem like they were cashing in on the nu metal trend, now we know more of robs life story I can understand why the lyrics are like this. But still diversity wouldn't of hurt! // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great album but there new album, through the ashes... is better! WOW // 8

Burn My Eyes Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2006

Sound: The first ever Machine Head record, brings a tear to your eye when you compare this to 1999's 'The Burning Red' or 2001's 'Supercharger'. Some say this is the band's best record to date, although others are dived on that with 2004's 'Through The Ashes of Empires'. I'll make this clear right now, this is a heavy assed reocrd. The first two songs 'Davidian' and 'Old' and the closing track 'Block' are the treasures on this album, but that's not to sya the rest sucks, it's a brutal record with fast picking riffs ['Blood For Blood'] and some ferocious vocal work from frontman Robert Flynn. In all honesty, if you like heavy metal you need to own this! // 8

Lyrics: Hard to comment. I've looke dover the lyrics for 'Davidian', 'Old', 'Death Church', Blood For Blood' and 'Block', but they don't exactly make sense to me. They don't seem to tell a story or anything, so I'm afraid I can't really judge them. But Davidian's trademark 'Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast' is one of the most recognised chorus lines ever, no doubt about it. // 6

Overall Impression: To be honest, this album is absolutely fantastic, although not perfect. Like I've alreayd said, some of the lyrics really don't make any sense to me and some songs, and this is just a minor thing here, get a little repetitive. I think the only albums that stand up to htis are Pantera's 'Far Beyond Driven', Sepultura's 'Roots' and Machine Head's own 'Through The Ashes of Empires'. if you liek metal, you won't want to miss out on some of the most memorable riffs around. // 9

Burn My Eyes Reviewed by: justicemaster26, on february 13, 2009

Sound: The sound on Burn My Eyes is incredible. The production is very crisp. 01.The guitars have a very thick tone but there is still a lot of crunch there. Making the tone very powerful. The guitars also give the album the quality of behind one of the heaviest non-death/black metal albums out there. 02.The drums are very clear and I must say I love the sound of the ride cymbal (I have a thing for ride cymbals haha) and snare on this album. // 9

Lyrics: Personally, I think this album is Robb Flynn's vocal peak (with The Blackening coming in at a very close second). We know he has his signature shouting/roaring vocals. They're pretty low here compared to The Blackening. To be completley honest I haven't read all the lyrics but from what I have read, they're pretty good. 01.The famous "Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" is classic line 02.The Simple yet effective "f--k it all!" from Block, delivered with amazing intensity form Flynn // 8

Overall Impression: In general, I believe this album is a classic. Every song on it is great. Sure, there may be some parts of some of the songs I'm not to fond of, but the flaws are very minor flaws. 01."Davidian": Machine Head's signature song and it's arguably one of the best album openers ever. it's one of the three most intense songs on the album. The Intro begin's with a quick drum solo from Chris Kontos and this sets the tone for the rest of the record (pummeling and heavy as f**k). The song is a downright classic and one of the best metal songs ever. 02."Old": great main riff and wonderful lyrics. Robb's singing in the chorus is one of the highlights of the album for me. 03."A Thousand Lies": one of, if not, the, most underrated songs on the album. Lovely tempo which makes the song sound a lot heavier than it really is. This song features my favourite ending to a Machine Head song ever. 04."None But My Own": nice, clean but very evil sounding main riff. I love the ending where it suddenly becomes a Thrash song. 05."Rage to Overcome": the main riff makes great use of Pinch Harmonics. Which makes the song a little bit tricky to play. 06."Death Church": great Song, very mid-tempoed, great for headbanging lol. Great chorus where Flynn pulls of a nice growl. I also love the outro. (once again, I love ride cymbals) 07."A Nation on Fire": good song, When the song gets heavy however, it's unbelievable. 08."Blood for Blood": the second of the three most agressive tracks. The song features a great main riff with agressive lyrics from Flynn. 09."I'm your God Now": one of my favourites. the song is mellow during verses and heavy in the choruses. however, after the second chorus when Robb sings "There's no time to... PRAY!" the song gets amazing. 10."Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies": essentially just an instumental, but I love the riff and the news reports and such in the background give it a really good atmosphere 11."Block": as cliche and funny as this sounds I like to think of this song as. ehemm... "Pure aggression channeled through music". The final song and the third and most intense of all songs on the album. The main riff is complete aggression and the ending is the best ending to an album ever - the drums are fast and furious, Robb is bellowing "f--k it all" and the song ends with a last roar of the aformentioned lyric and a mammoth-sounding Chord and some feedback. Classic way to end a classic album. Sorry for the length and any spelling mistakes, also it's a bit one-sided haha. If it was stolen/lost I would definetly buy a new one. // 9

More Machine Head reviews rating latest review