Hellalive Review

machine head: Hellalive
Released: 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
As live albums go, Hellalive is solid: a nice cross section of songs from Machine Head's four albums, a dense, guitar-centric mix and tight, energetic performances.
 9.2
 8.4
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Hellalive Reviewed by: narmi, on december 03, 2004

Sound: Well its Machine Heads first official live album release. It was recorded in London at the Brixton Academy and was during the Supercharger tour. What can I say? Machine Head do no wrong. The sound on this album is absolutely fantastic. It could not get any better. You feel like you are at the gig (yes a cliche when describing live albums/dvds) but it is so true. The guitars are perfect, so too are the bass and drums, but of course the stand out is Robbs simply outstanding voice. Not a single mistake or error, this is live music at its pinnacle. // 10

Lyrics: Well, as it was the Supercharger tour, Machine Head do of course play quite a few songs off that album. The lyrics are fantastic, all the MH albums have awesome lyrics and hearing them live is just unbelievable. Only one error persists at MH live shows, and that is Robbs communication with the crowd, dont get me wrong, he is one of the greatest frontmen and really knows how to get a crowd going. However when playing certain songs he always says the same things live, at every gig. I. e on Take My Scars he always says "see everyone front to back, side to side etc." However this is no big deal as Robb kicks ass. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best live albums I have ever heard. It is probably my favourite however I would really like one recorded now, i.e. after the release of Through The Ashes, as it starts with Imperium, and played are the greatest heavy metal songs written in the past few years. This album is still fantastic and I would definately buy it if it where stolen. Not every band can achieve this greatness and this shows why Machine Head are the greatest live metal band on the planet. // 10

Hellalive Reviewed by: tunnock, on may 21, 2007

Sound: Explosive, thrashy, melodic, aggressive, dark, impressive. This is a live performance from the Brixton Academy in London on the 8th of December 2001. Machine Head, formed after the demise of Thrash Metal band Vio-lence in which both Flynn and Demmel (the two current Machine Head guitarists) played. I first heard this album when it first came out and I was astounded. Also the first Machine Head album I'd ever heard and still my favourite. It has the ideal amount of everything. If you do not like this album then I pity you. // 10

Lyrics: I own all of Machine Head's alubums and the lyrics on record and live are outstandingly good and well delivered. In addition to that, he even throws in replacement lyrics which refer to London (the gig venue). Robb Flynn is an extremely talented performer. I have heard live bands with dedicated lead singers not even sounding half as good whereas Robb plays guitar whilst doing it. Some of the most impressive singing comes in Crashing Around You where Flynn is pretty much spotlighted by lack of other instruments at the verses. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't really compare it to any albums I own because you can't compare it to recorded albums and you can't compare it to Judas Priest (only other live album I own). The most impressive song on the album is probably The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears not from a musical difficulty but from the overall impression of the song it has a bit of everything: calm, aggressive, solo, super agressive. My favourite, oddly enough, is the slow The Burning Red with soft yet powerful singing and deep, echoing yet again powerful guitar. Another benefit is that the next song after it is Davidian "Let freedom reign with a shotgun blast!" I love the fact the Machine Head give such an amazing live performance. I've seen them once at the Barrowlands in 2004 and I'm goin to see them on the 7th of June at the Carling Academy can't wait. If it were lost or stolen I'd be very pissed off and would buy another. // 10

More Machine Head reviews rating latest review