Supercharger Review

artist: machine head date: 05/18/2007 category: compact discs
machine head: Supercharger
Released: 2001
Genre: Rock
Supercharger has some ham-fisted moments straight from the early thrash days.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 7.3
 7.5
Supercharger Reviewed by: nirvanafan11111, on july 06, 2004

Sound: While I only have this album and the masterpiece that is burn my eyes by Machine Head I look at this album and think, the intensity in the music/metal of burn my eyes is fading only really the first 4 songs really keep it alive, while saying this the sound of this album is good it I very well produced but a tad overly produced, mr. Flynn's voice is nowhere near the flaming heat it has been but too me he proves he can do some melodic singing. The 1st track with words too me is the best one (Bulldozer) and it really is a Bulldozer of a track but even this great song has some melodic singing smack bang in the middle. The overall sound of this album is nu-metal/rap-metal which I find unfortunate as I preferred the sound of burn my eyes to this album but it really is on opinion. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very good Rob Flynn really does have a talent for lyrics eg The First Single Crashing Around You which unfortunatly was released on the 10th september 2001 (the day before 9/11 if you didn't know) has a great chorus which is sung (Your World Comes Crashing Around You, smashing down around you, when will you see that you can't hide from me?). The lyrics are one of the saving graces of this album focussing on anger and other subjects of high emotion. Robert Flynn's voice may have lost some of its intensity in this album but it is still an emotional rock that has the ability to hit some core (which it also did in burn my eyes). // 10

Overall Impression: This album is by far the most nu-metal I've Heard Machine head sing compared too burn my eyes this album is not amazing it is (and I want too make this clear) a good album but compared too what has been done in the past Machine Head have missed the bar. The most impressive songs on the album are: Bulldozer, White Knuckle Black-out, Crashing Around You and Kick You When Your Down. The fact that these are the first four songs is a coincidence even though the album does strengthen near the end. Overall this album is good and did not deserve half the crap that was said about it but the problem is its not that overtly amazing or different from the crop of nu-metal that has been around during the late 90's. // 8

Supercharger Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 18, 2007

Sound: The often criticised and slandered Machine Head album. Although everyone says this is Machine Head's weakest album (which is absolutely true), it's by no means a bad one. The fact that the lead single Crashing Around You was released around the 9/11 terror attacks didn't help either. This albums good though, it contains some catchy, heavy and rather depressing tunes, but with a little more of a nu-metal flavour. I personally reckon that their then-guitarist Ahrue Luster is to blame for this. Well, the guitars are tight, the bass is deathly and the drumming is as good as you could want it to be. But again, the nu-metal sound will shock the hell out of hardcore Machine Head fans (especially if you boycotted The Burning Red). Songs like White-Knuckle Blackout, whilst catchy, are just not what you expect from a band of this calibur. Some people, including myself, will love it. Others will f--king hate it. // 7

Lyrics: I'll make this one brief as possible, Robb Flynn has some outstanding vocal work going on here, with clean singing and grows so fierce that theyd make all grindcore singers run for the hills in terror. As for lyrics; Trephination is another song focused on the abuse Robb Flynn suffered as a child (the other two being Violate from The More Things Change and Five from The Burning Red), Only the Names revolves around the subject of drugs and addiction, Crashing Around You pretty much explains itself and American High is about growing up in the Bay Area and skipping school to jam with your band etc, a song that a lot of people could relate to, I'm sure. Lyrically, the record is sound but again, the nu-metal influence shows up too much for the band's own good. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is great. Don't believe what everyone tells you about Supercharger, it's not as bad as people say it is! Trephination is easily the best song here and one of the heaviest and most terrifying tracks I've heard in a long time, whilst everything else, although nu-metally, is catchy and has some great riffs and hooks. The digipack edition of Supercharger contains bonus tracks, Hole In The Sky (a Black Sabbath cover), Ten Fold (a b-side from the Supercharger reocording sessions) and two live tracks in the form of The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears and Desire to Fire. The live tracks are great and Hole in the Sky is pretty good, but I'll be willing to admit that Ten Fold is pretty crappy. Anyway, I like this album a lot. it's nowhere near as good as Burn My Eyes, The More Things Change and it's definately not as good as their recent release The Blackening. But all the same, I applaud Machine Head for trying soemthign new and doing it well. Nowhere near as bad as people say, so go and buy it! // 8

Supercharger Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2006

Sound: Oh dear God, where'd they go wrong? This is easily Machine Head's weakest album, even though it isn't bad, it's not what you'd expect from Machine Head. Personally I blame this on their ex-guitarist Ahrue Luster [who is now with I'll Nino] who wanted to 'take the band in a more melodic direction'. This record has it's moments, with tracks such as 'Bulldozer' and the hallowing 'Trephination' grabbing you by the nuts and smashing your head on the walls, like Machine Head should. The rest, well, it's mediocre. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics tend to vary, 'Bulldozer' is essentially Ten Ton Hammer 2. It has a heavy, simplistic riff abotu something heavy. Then there's 'Crashing Around You', the single which, by a stroke of extremely bad luck, was released soo nafter the events of 9/11. that's about everything goign wrong and the such. The rets is utterly forgetable stuff. // 4

Overall Impression: I have to reluctantly admit, this record was disappointing. Standout tracks are 'Bulldozer, 'Crashing Around You', 'Trephination', American High' and 'Deafening Silence'. The rest is a slightly poor effort, and I really expected better from such a fantastic band. Not to say the record is completely awful, it just isn't as good as it should be. The digipack edition features bonus tracks [unfortunately I don't own the digipack so I hav no idea if they're any good] but overall, for Machine Head fans only. // 6

More Machine Head reviews rating latest review