The Burning Red Review

machine head: The Burning Red
Released: Jul 27, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
Machine Head's third album finds them sounding a bit looser and less constricted musically than they have in the past, but their aggro-metal with funk overtones is still plenty dense and emotionally claustrophobic.
 8.9
 9.3
 8.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Burning Red Reviewed by: narmi, on october 01, 2004

Sound: Well, another Machine Head review from me, what can I say? I love the band and they deserve all the credit that is due to them. Anyway, The Burning Red, it is Machine Head's quite risky and dare I say ambtious album. It is also their most depressing album by far, I seem to find the sound of certain riffs and sections extremely depressing. This is a good thing. This was the follow up to the brutal The More Things Change, and this album is very different. The sound, well the guitars are still tuned down low, but there is a thicker sound to the distortion and it is still heavy, but not in a ridiculous kind of way. There are a couple of slightly weaker tracks, they are brilliant but compared to other MH not as good, well maybe half a track. It's Machine Head's Black Album. More fans could get into Machine Head after this awesome record was released. Superb. // 8

Lyrics: Like I said depressing, and Rob Flynn doesn't seem to do any wrong when writing, he definately has a major talent for this shit. There is something that would have shocked Machine Head fans at that time on this album, especially after their previous two efforts: rapping. Yes, Robb raps on most of the tracks, and well he is pretty damn good at it too. It's like a heavier and better version of Rage Against The Machine, well I think so anyway. A lot of the chorus' stick in your head, its not catchy its just well constructed. His lyrics on this album are depressing on several tracks and quite sort of uplifiting on some, well with rapping you cant really make people as angry as screaming your lungs out. Its still heavy dudes, dont get me wrong, and it is still Machine Head. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, this is a very good album, an album that is dismissed by many beacause it is not Machine Head's 'roots', that impression is wrong, if you appreciate metal, you will love this, pretty awesome. For downright metal Desire to Fire will satisfy your craving. From This Day is superb Rap Metal with some cool effect. How can I forget to mention the cover of The Police's Message In a Bottle? That is one of the finest covers to ever be released, it is superb and easily the best song on the album, as well as extremely depressing. Silver has a very cool riff at the start which kinda rings in your head and gets you depressed, well me anyway. And now for the title track, the first (an so far only) slow Machine Head track. The Burning Red is a very drastic change in the Machine Head sound, it closes the album and is stunning, it will make you cry, I am not joking, huge hairy metal heads will be weeping like school girls when they hear this pure genius. It is Machine Head's Nothing Else Matters, but better, way better. Now, to sum up their catologue: Burn My Eyes - pure agression and non stop head battering, The More Things Change: Head battering in a very evil and terrifying way, The Burning Red: their most experimental and depressing album, Supercharger: weaker than the rest, but still damn good, similar to Burning Red. Through The Ashes: a combination of all the old records, which is y it is the best metal album to be released in a long time. // 10

More Machine Head reviews rating latest review