Through The Ashes Of Empires Review

machine head: Through The Ashes Of Empires
Released: December 16, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
The one of the best metal album to ever grace the music scene.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
Through The Ashes Of Empires Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2006

Sound: The band's best album since Burn My Eyes. No question about it, this is some heavy stuff! Whilst there are some so-so tracks (Wipe The Tears comes to mind) the majority of the CD is mindblowing. Imperium starts off with a calm steady tempo then goes into a bulldozing flurry of metal and smashes your face off. Left Unfinished is Robb Flynn at his most personal, as the song is about his life and his adoption as a child. Descend the Shades of Night is an 'eight minute lamentation on death' as Robb calls it. Starting off with acoustic, it makes you think 'Hey, you call this Machine Head?' then it goes to the heavier riffs and an awesome guitar solo that makes anything by Megadeth look like yesterdays news. However, on the American release there is another track on the album called 'Seasons Wither', the best track on the CD. Now this is what its about, amazing riff, heavier than a Ten Ton Hammer (pardon the pun) and an awesome solo to boot. It was the last track written so its probably what we're going to get from the next Machine Head album, which is no bad thing at all! // 10

Lyrics: Lyricly the record is sound. Left Unfinished is about Robb Flynn's adoption as a child and his hate for his biological parents, Days Turn Blue to Gray is about an abusive father (based on some people the band knows, apparently), In the Prescence of my Enemies is 'about hating you enemies til the day they're dead and buried' and Descend the Shades of Night, well, its about death. But it blows away 99% of all the othe rmetal records out there. Robb Flynn's voice is as brutal as ever, screaming like mad, but also with some rather melodic singing this time round, not unlike The Burning Red. Top notch stuff lyrically. // 8

Overall Impression: Imperium, Days Turn Blue to Gray, Seasopns Wither and Descend The Shades Of Night are easily the best tracks on this record. Seasons Wither is one of the heaviest and most aurally pleasing of the bunch, whilst Descend The Shades Of Night is more melodic but just as good. Imperium is the one that'll be played the most, as it's impossible to describe, the only way to describe Imperium is 'That f--king awesome Machine Head track'. It's so good its in a league of its own. // 10

Through The Ashes Of Empires Reviewed by: narmi, on may 26, 2004

Sound: That pretty much sums up the sound of this album. It is ridiculously powerful and loud. This is Heavy Metal at its finest. The guitars are all downtuned to around Drop B and the result is bone shatterring riffs and the drumming pounds your head again and again. Imperium is the song that made me buy the album, my friend let me hear it, and the next day I went out and bought the album for that one song, the rest of the album was just as good as the unblelievable opener, if not better. The only way Machine Head can top the sound on this album is at a live show. Definately music to get your head kicked in to. // 10

Lyrics: Rob Flynn is simply a genius. He is fantastic at melodic singing and screaming until his lungs burst. He is possibly one of the best metal singers around. The lyrics on the album are extremely personal, very in fact. Mostly realting to Flynn's childhood. On tracks such as "Left Unfinished" and "Days Turn Blue To Grey" Flynn lashes out at his biological parents - "F--ck you cocksucker, F*uck you you whore" - deep stuff. This man opens up on this record and the way the lyrics complement the music is pure genius - quite remarkable in fact. Definately metal perfection. // 10

Overall Impression: Not just the best Machine Head record to ever be released, but the one of the best metal album to ever grace the music scene. Yes my metal headed friends, this album is up there with the likes of 'Burn My Eyes', Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' and of course Slayer's 'Reign In Blood'. Yes, this album is already a classic, if you consider yourself to be a metal fan, this should be in your collection, go buy it, and get your ears bleeding, head banging and fists in the air. Perfected Metal. // 10

Through The Ashes Of Empires Reviewed by: Ploosh_Meister, on april 21, 2006

Sound: Brilliant. Machine head have exchanged their raw and more recent 'nu-metal' sound for an epic, pure metal sound. I'm not a big fan of the old Machine Head music, but this has built on what they've been doing before, making a brutal yet epic collection of songs that could easily have put this up as the metal album of the year in 2003, and fans of older albums, before 'supercharger' that is, will definently appreciate this music as Machine Head's finest. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals are great throughout this album. They range from a twisted shout, to a peacful hum-like sing and vocal harmonies. The lyrics really add to the epic feel with lines such as 'Here me now/ Words I vow/ No k--king regret'. It really gets the blood pumping and at a live show would no doubt get the crowd moving. Robb Flynn is a mastermind in his own little way, and this album really puts that forth. // 9

Overall Impression: This album contains some real metal anthems, like 'Imperium', 'Days Turn Blue To Gray', 'In The Presence Of My Enemies' and 'Descend The Shades Of Night'. It's a great album to listen through beginning to end, with many twists and turns and some orignal solos (In The Prescence Of My Enemies has an amazing solo). I would recommend it to any Machine Head fan or any metal fan for that matter. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy it again without hesitation. // 9

Through The Ashes Of Empires Reviewed by: Mr.Jack_SG, on june 10, 2006

Sound: This is seriously one amazing album. No doubt about it. It's just simply brilliant to say the least. This is Machine Head at their best I would say. Each song on the album is made in a fantastic way and the way the songs are placed works well as the songs seem to go into each other well. Amazing riffs created by the brilliant Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel such as those on Imperium which starts slow and peaceful then goes into heavy distortion with powerful riffs and cool harmonics and ripping guitar solos such as on In The Presence Of My Enemies or Vim. Sheer brilliance. All the sogs on this album are just amazing though what annoys me is that Seasons Wither, which is an amazing track is only on the american release. Still though all the tracks on this album are amazing. This album is truly in a league of its own. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Through The Ashes Of Empires are amazing and really easy to relate to. Days Turn Blue To Gray seems to talk about an abusive father and how a family is falling apart, Left Unfinished talks about Robbs hate for his natural parents and In The Presence Of My Enemies seems to talk of hating your enemies until the day they die. The lyrics are very deep and Robb has seemed to have gone all out. They are very well constucted and go really well with the guitars. Every riff goes beautifully with the lyrics. From Robbs raging screaming to his melodic singing, everything fits together. Like one gaint puzzle and all the pieces fit in together perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of Through The Ashes Of Empires? Just sheer brilliance. It is Machine Heads finest work and it should belong in any metal lovers album collection whether or not they like Machine head. The highlights of the album would be Imperium, Elegy, In The Presence Of My Enemies, Days Turn Blue To Gray and Vim. Brilliant songs with an amazing amount of work put into them with the brutal riffs, amazing solos and erie effects. Theres nothin I hate about it and if stolen or broken would definatlely buy it again. Trust me its worth the money. // 9

Through The Ashes Of Empires Reviewed by: chimairakid, on august 28, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is fantastic, they have a great guitar tone and amazing drum sound. The content of the album is really varied, with slow ballads like "descend the shades of night" and fast, heavy flat out thrash songs such as "Vim." The musicianship here is awesome when you take into account that robb is playing guitar and singing at the same time (obv the CD is multi-tracked, I mean live). If you get the american version, it has a bonus track called "seasons wither" which is an amazing song. If you like "...And Justice For All" era Metallica, megadeth etc but with a more modern tinge, then this is the album for you. Classic thrash combined with modern sounds. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics cover topics such as Rob flynns adoption as a child and can be very dark and deep. "Descend The Shades Of Night" covers the topic of fearing death, whilst "Days Turn Blue To Grey" covers the topic of domestic abuse and drug use within families, very dark lyrics and very personal. They are all well writen and use a lot of powerful imagery. The lyrics fit well with the music, and Rob has an amazing vocal range, from singing, right through to a ferocious roar. // 10

Overall Impression: This steals the crown of best machine head album from 1994's "Burn My Eyes." It is difficult to pick just a few songs which stand out but my personal favourites are "Imperium", "In The Prescence Of My Enemy", "Seasons Wither", "Vim", and "Descend The Shades Of Night", though all the songs are amazing. There isnt a single thing I hate about this album other than the fact I live in the Uk and had to buy a LTD edition Machine Head single to get the track seasons wither, but that isnt the bands fault and even without that song, it's an amazing album. If this CD was lost stolen or broken, once I had stopped crying, I would find the culprit and kill them, then buy another copy on my way home. // 10

Through The Ashes Of Empires Reviewed by: boyan89, on march 26, 2007

Sound: Machine Head. Words can't even describe the absolutely amazing sound of this album but I will try too. The guitar's on this album are truly outstandable and just overwhelming, Phil Demmel's lead parts are amazing and when Flynn backs him up it makes the song even more interesting because you never know what they are going to do. In some songs they harmonize reallly well taking into account Imperium, Seasons Wither and Descend The Shades of Night. The drums man where do I even begin Dave McLain kind of inspired me to check those out because when I heard him along with Joey Jordison, Lars Ulrich and Travis Smith I went like holy shit drummming can be like this, just brutal and alwawys follow the songs. The bass man Adam Duce is surprising on that thing I mean having soo much aggresion put into that thing, you can hear everything clearly and the bass intros to some songs are amazing. So basically all I'm trying to say is everything was layed out perfectly for the band's masterpiece. I would give the sound a 15/10 if I could. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album. Rob Flynn is an amazing vocalist. I love the screaming and he actually sings like Melodic Singing, he has one of the best voices ever. The lyrics meaning all vary, I think they're are some about politics, Lamentation of Death(well that one is obvious), Personal Stuff (Parents) and I'm not sure what some songs are about taking into account Seasons Wither. But on the otherhand just a brutal job on the lyrics I would give it a 12/10 but I cant. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can it compare to other albums. No it can't, Machine Head will always be Machine Head and no other album they produce is ever going to compare with anyone but themselves, well that doesnt't even work because they don't produce the second album twice again. My favourite songs on this album have got to be Imperium, Seasons Wither, Days Turn Blue To Gray, Wipe The Tears, Vim, In The Presence Of My Enemies and Descend The Shades of Night. The other tracks are all great and layed very well too. I love everything about this album I wouldn't have changed anything because it's perfect just the way it is. If It were stolen/lost ummm hell yah I would buy it again and it is also a great comeback for a band for being dead in the water basically!! So amazing album! Recommend it to everyone except the pussies who listen to that poppy shit Green Day is taken here and Plus 44 and Blink 182. Metal heads this album is for you! Oh and also this is the bands 2nd best album since Burn My Eyes, The Blackening being in first, such an amazing album, every song on that album has a solo. // 10

More Machine Head reviews rating latest review