Madness Review

6.7
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Madness Reviewed by: Hevoc, on january 30, 2004

Sound: "Our House" is definitely the flagship song of this compilation of tunes from Madness. The music on this CD takes me back to the early, fun, days of MTV. That was how I first learned about Madness -- their videos of "Our House" and "One Step Beyond" made those songs instant hits in my book. But, alas, times change, groups break up, and the fun brand that MTV once was is no more the video music channel it used to be. OK, OK, I'll get back to the CD. I enjoy the overt British influences in Madness, the up-beat tempo, and fun that exudes from the CD as it spins. It sounds like the group really enjoyed themselves as they worked. // 8

Lyrics: Half of this album is tracks from the excellent "the rise and fall" album, possibly their finest hour (excellent tracks like "primrose hill" and "blue skinned beast"). The rest is just tacked-on earlier hits like night boat to cairo. Do yourself a favor, if you're going to buy anything, get "the rise and fall" for the more serious side of madness (and "our house"), and maybe a compilation like "complete madness" for the hits. // 6

Overall Impression: Madness will live forever and this cd is one of the best ways to get the scope of their original sound! // 6

More Madness reviews rating latest review
+ Complete Madness 8 02/08/2012