Cope Review

manchester orchestra: Cope
Released: Apr 1, 2014
Genre: Indie Rock
Label: Loma Vista Recordings, Favorite Gentlemen
These guys rock harder than just about any other modern indie rock band today. This is hands down their heaviest, and arguably their best album.
 6.7
 7.7
 5.7
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Cope Reviewed by: vppark2, on april 14, 2014

Sound: Manchester Orchestra is an American indie rock band from Atlanta, Georgia, formed in 2004. The band consists of rhythm guitarist-singer-songwriter Andy Hull, lead guitarist Robert McDowell, keyboardist/percussionist Chris Freeman, bassist Andy Prince and drummer Tim Very. The only member change since their last album was their original bassist had parted ways with the band. Every single song on this album is full of catchy guitar riffs and hooks. Each song is full of palm muting right before the chorus comes in. This may turn some fans away, but I still thought the musicality was still there. Not to mention how the drumming was superb. The whole package will take you back to the '90s era, full of indie rock bands, such as the Pixies, and Sonic Youth, and even some hints of Smashing Pumpkins are heard throughout this album. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically speaking, I'm not too keen on lyrics such as:

"On desperate friends,
Trying to reconcile their names,
There is a name for men like you inside the dark,
And I know your faults,
I know the way you write them off,
I don't want anything to do with it no more.

I bet most the time,
You're too insecure to admit it,
You're the last in line to move,
Now I'm running out of things that I can say,
Cause nothing that I say is really helping anyway."

These lyrics are from "Girl Harbor." Songs like "All I Really Wanted" feature cussing for the first time in MO history, which may come to a surprise.

"You've been drinking all night
We both know when you're drunk
The future rewinds
It happens every f--king time
But you erase it."

Songs such as, Indentions, feature what I would call story telling.

"Some local kid lit a fire
They burned down everything inside

I won't leave indentions of me, me

God is watching tonight
How long can you be knighted now?"

The title track is my favorite track from the album, and honestly lyrics that I really enjoy. It's got a slow and steady beat during its verses, but once the prechorus and chorus kicks in, the distortion is then sounded.

"There is a cost, my friends
Of living out some other dream to find the consequence
It comes and goes in seasons around here, I thought again
There's nothing left around to yield this sorry ignorance
If I do echo I hope you never see
There is no one there that's waiting after me
And I hope if there is one thing I let go it is the way that we cope

Now I hope if there is one thing that we know
From the way that you and I will wander on
And we won't become a lifeless lope that wanders round and hopes for sorrow." // 7

Overall Impression: When listening to this album, there is no doubt that you'll be rocking your head throughout. "The Ocean," "Every Stone," "Trees," and "Cope" seemed to have made me do that the most, although, it's really difficult to not rock your head to each and every track on this album. Manchester Orchestra I would barely even call an indie rock band, nor would I lump them with its other predecessors in its genre. If anything, these guys rock harder than just about any other modern indie rock band today. This is hands down their heaviest, and arguably their best album. // 8

More Manchester Orchestra reviews rating latest review