I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child Review

Lyrics: 8.5
 9.3
 8.7
 9.9
I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child Reviewed by: FghtFfYrDmns, on september 06, 2007

Sound: For being an indie record and the band's first "big" CD the sound is very crisp, clean, and full. The band is composed of a drummer, bass player, two guitarists, and a keyboardist. This CD is very interesting in that, the entire band recorded the CD as a "live recording". They played the majority of the songs on one track then went back in and dubbed more guitar parts, vocals, and various other little additions that makes this CD sound superb! My only complaint is I have seen them live twice now and every song sounds twice as good live. Not a bad thing but just tells me the CD sound could have been better. // 9

Lyrics: Lead singer Andy Hull. If you saw the man you wouldn't believe what he sounds like. The vocals really are angelic. The lyrics deeper and darker more, provocative than most. The title track "Wolves at Night" has my favorite line in it, "Because we confide in wolves at night, I'm like a virgin losing a child, so lonely, so lonely." It is pretty clear that a lot of the songs touch on religion and Andy's questioning of his own beliefs and his battle to be "better". I guarantee there isn't one complaint about the vocals or lyrics someone could say that I would honestly believe they meant. // 10

Overall Impression: I would compare this album to some of the deeper songs off of The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me but a bit more upbeat. The biggest hitters on this CD are "Wolves At Night", the fan favorite "Where Have You Been?", and "Sleeper 1972". The entire CD just puts me in a good mood. You'll find yourself singing along in no time, you can relate to the songs, they make you think. The only thing I can't stand about it is that it eventually comes to an end. I will never lose this CD but if I did, I would probably buy two more, one to listen to and one as a back up. // 10

I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on november 21, 2008

Sound: Manchester Orchestra's debut album I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child take audiences on a journey through the craggy terrain of retro rock while tossing in bails of prog rock and power pop fringes. Guitarists Robert McDowell and Andy Hull generate retro rock passages snowcapped by vintage keyboard particles from Chris Freeman. Andy Hull's vocals have a Hawkish-sear shifting the emotional current of the verses into moods of sorrow, joy, and keen alertness as the rhythm section of drummer Jeremiah Edmond and bassist Jonathan Corley suction to the melodic curves making neat folds along the chord progressions. The haunting echoes and misty fumes piping through I Can Barely Breathe and Where Have You Been are impaled by balladry hooks and light frilly waves. Wolves At Night swoops into a thicket of guitars and funeral organ dirges, while staggering beats and soaring guitars whip through The Neighborhood Is Bleeding. The weighty feel of I Can Feel Your Pain is lifted by swigs of gently mellifluous motions in Sleeper 1972. The windy rotations in the guitar spins of Golden Ticket and Alice And Interiors empower Hull's vocals like steel cables that hold him upright. The album closes with Colly Strings whose vials of healing tones and quaint quivering rhythms has the album come to the conclusion that many moods are an integral part of living, but most paths seem to lead to feeling crestfallen. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are insightful, inspiring, and impressionistic like in Colly Strings when Hull implores, You can't believe without bleeding. The song Wolves At Night has a pensive gleam as Hull proposes, I could have sworn that I saw your knee bent on the bedside / Arms stretched like a kite that time will eventually grow. The lyrics show a realization that no one has control over the circumstances that come Into life, but there Is a choice to overcome such painful situations. Through the lose and misery there is sense of hope in the songs. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child is a kind of concept album in which each song Is another piece to the whole picture. The songs show a recurring theme about trying to grasp conditions that come into one's life as the band calibrates prog rock swells and retro rock decibels to move in sync with each other pronouncing the struggles between man and nature. When Hull touts, I'll find a way out of here / Just watch me from The Neighborhood Is Bleeding, hope springs eternal making it a tangible dream to rise above the struggles. // 8

More Manchester Orchestra reviews rating latest review