Citadels Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Citadels Reviewed by: thedyslexialove, on august 04, 2014

Sound: The first thing you'll notice when listening to this album, if not the heavy riffage, is the incredible vocals. With a range very reminiscent of Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria I was immediately blown away. The guitars drive this album even further using the full range of the 7 strings delivering very technical riffs and melodic solos making this one hell of a metal album. The overall quality of the sound and music impressed me. Being a fairly new and underground band there wasn't a huge budget on this album but it comes out great and every hit, every note, and every scream punches right through in the mix. // 9

Lyrics: All the lyrics on this album have a very grande feel to them. Perfectly suiting the music they are poetic while very aggressive. They all tell a story and use big concepts, such as love and murder, and are delivered fairly well through the vocals. Although, and as with many bands, most lyrics are lost in the singing and I had to read them while listening to get the full feel. This was a small turn-off while listening but the songs were never ruined by this as the vocals conveyed all the emotion that the lyrics held. // 9

Overall Impression: I would compare this to some Periphery if they got Claudio to sing for them. It has a lot of heaviness, a lot of groove, and a lot of pure bada-sery. My personal favourite songs are "Ancient Arrows," "To the Wolves," and "The Sleeper." I love almost everything about this album except each song has a similar feel to it. While it is a great listen some of the songs would do well to have more dynamic in them. Although if this album was stolen I'd immediately buy it again. I've been listening to it for weeks and its one of my favourite prog metal releases in the past few years. // 8

Comments