Hail To England Review

manowar: Hail To England
Release Date: 1984
Label: Music For Nations
Genres: Heavy Metal, Power Metal
With 1984's Hail To England, New York's Manowar delivered one of the quintessential power metal albums of all time.
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Hail To England Reviewed by: mccabe24, on march 24, 2006

Sound: Manowar's guitar player can shred. He can play lightning fast licks and sometimes make them sound great. Other times, he gives you a headache. Try listen to Black Arrows. After a long, loud scream, the guitarist plays one of the most messed up set of notes I've ever heard! That said, not all of his solos are bad and his riffs are really catchy!. The rest of the band is great to. My guitar teacher told me that the drummer or the bassest has the world record for most notes in a minute! // 8

Lyrics: I don't know who this singer is, but he is increadible! The way he just nails each note and lets it ring just knocks me right out. The lyrics are great too. Most of the songs by Manowar are based on mid-evel times (like where there were Kings And Knights) so they are real interesting to listen to. Manowar's vocals are deffinatly like nothing I've ever heard before. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album. I know that not everyone will like it (I've got a friend who loves heavy metal, but hates Manowar), but it is deffinatly worth giving a try. In my mind, the most imprssive songs on this album are Blood Of My Enemies, Kill With Power and Bridge Of Death. If I could change one thing about this album, I would make it longer. There are only seven songs on it. One of them, Black Arrows, hurts your ears. // 7

Hail To England Reviewed by: Metalbush, on january 24, 2007

Sound: Right, being a big Manowar fan I must admit that on this album the recording is not as up to scratch as it should be. Sometimes there seems to be a high pitched beep, which has something to do with the recording. Apart from that manowar are on form! Some of their songs seem to be a bit faster on this album then on the previous album (Into Glory Ride). They seem to be more balls out this time, with intensly fast sometimes blusy solos from Ross The Boss. The riffs are sometimes simple but creative (Kill With Power). This is heavy metal gold I am telling you! // 8

Lyrics: Eric adams is the greatest metal singer ever! He can hit any note and with power, his screams are the most Memorable I've ever heard. As for the lyrics to for this great voice to back up, they are just as great, most are fantasy themed songs (Blood Of My Enimies/Bridge Of Death). Yet the metalhead inspired song The Army Of Immortals is a tribute to all the fans and the lyrics really get to me and probably all their fans. // 10

Overall Impression: From the fantasy themed Blood Of My Enimies to the pegan inspired Each Dawn I Die and then to the bombastic face ripping Kill with power you have quite a few areas of interest on this album, Then you've got the bass solo (Black Arrows) witch is a finger egniting outing (I'd like to see anyone else do that). And of course the outro song, the epic Bridge Of Death witch is set at the gates of hell, where a warrior who has passed on from the world of the living faces the evil one! Brilliant! All in all though only a Manowar fan would understand this album, people seem to think of manowar as a joke, but their exellent musicianship and raw power previals! I don't care what anyone says manowar are one of the most underrated metal bands, if you love them you will love this album, hate them well. // 9

More Manowar reviews rating latest review
+ Kings Of Metal MMXIV 5.9 03/05/2014