Sound Of God's Absence Review

7.4
 8.7
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Sound Of God's Absence Reviewed by: und3ad_s4int, on june 09, 2009

Sound: This is no doubt one of my favorite melodic metal albums of all time. Each song contains a new and interesting guitar riff, and while similar, are each distinguishable from the next. For example, the songs "Mind and Machine" and "Murder Mandate" both have similar intros, but quickly develop into brand new and completely separate songs. The addition of a keyboard helps solidify the melodies, along with fist-pumping double kick drums and a very electric screamer. While this band fits in perfectly with others in the genre, I'm not sure I've ever heard a sound from a metal band quite this unique. The guitar has a perfect sound and tone, not too heavy, but not too light. However, If you are looking for more Cannibal Corpse, I'm not sure I would be too interested in Manufacturer's Pride. Although the second song is entitled "Maggot Infested", I a sure you that it in no way is related to "Worm Infested". The sound is quite exciting, yet relatively relaxing, although moshing to this band isn't exactly hard. // 9

Lyrics: Although Finnish in origin, all songs are sung in English. In general, the songs all contain very interesting, and in my opinion, new lyrics. For example, the second track "Maggot Infested" contains a chorus in which he says: "I don't need a name for you to call me by, just think of it as another lie," Very simple, yet effective. The singer, however, is a different story. While the lyrics are all very impressive, the singing is odd. The screams at the beginning sound weak, almost like he's shouting and forcing himself too hard. Although many songs, such as Dahlia, are reminiscent of Machine Head's vocalist, and sounds quite clean, yet remains grungy. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to others in the genre, I'd say this is one of my favorites. They're surprisingly heavy yet clean metal tone, combined with a mood setting keyboard results in a tone that many spend years trying to achieve. I love the tone, the only thing that really bothers me is the singing at the beginning of the album, but it steadily improves, almost as if they perfected their tone as they went along. My favorites include "Maggot Infested", "Dahlia", "Mind and Machine", and "On the Eve of Tempest". Go Pick it up today! // 9

Comments