Masterpiece Theatre Review

9.6
 9.7
 9.4
Masterpiece Theatre Reviewed by: The-Red-Sky, on march 17, 2009

Sound: I must say, I was a little shocked at how well crafted this album is at first. The sophomore major label release by these Canadian pop-punkers results in somewhat of a concept album. Masterpiece Theatre captures the essence of a night at the theatre, utilizing every tool at the band's disposal such as incredible harmonies, a wide arrangement of musical instruments, and heart-wrenching emotion. The album begins with part one of the three piece song "Masterpiece Theatre" which begins with an unexpected sound resembling that of a well constructed musical theatre presentation. It's a solid song altogether despite being a mere mood-piece to the album. Next up is the relatively catchy tune "All to Myself". It's a solid song to start off the whole of the album and gives a fun vibe which remains throughout the majority of the album. The first heavy hitter of the album start on track 3 with the first single, "Cross my Heart". With a seemingly timeless pop-punk guitar riff and an extremely catchy hook, the song is solid as is. The final 4 choruses are completed by a strong harmony of the backing vocal and a unique but enjoyable acapella ending. After a strong track such as "Cross my Heart," it seems likely to drop in quality by the next song, but "Beside you" proves to be one of, if not, the best songs written in the band's career. With a background hook which could have been on Disney's "Lion King". The song as a whole is incredibly powerful and emotionally charged enough to give even the most heartless person chills. The remainder of the album is solid all the way through until the final song, Masterpiece Theatre III. Masterpiece Theatre III is a strong song which recycles many melodies in a different way which fit's together in a single song much like how certain musicals include megamixes and final medleys at the end of a show. It's interesting to watch how you can spot each song and enjoy the new versions as if they were new songs altogether. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album could be identical to most other pop-punk acts and stands out very little. This however is greatly conpensated for by the incredible voices from the entire band. Lead singer Josh Ramsey has a range which could easily be owned by an actual broadway performer. However, Ramsey is not the only strong voice in the band which is a breath of fresh air. The rest of the band adds their vocal talents in powerful harmonies for songs like "Cross my Heart", "Beside You," and "Masterpiece Theatre". The band is incredibly intelligent without question when it comes to terms of harmonizing. Despite my own personal beliefs, Masterpiece Theatre proves that you don't necessarily need the most world changing lyrics if you have a powerful, emotional, well ranged voice to make a good song. // 9

Overall Impression: In terms of concept, the album fit's the mould very well as if it were an actual Theatre performance. And although musical theatre is not the most appealing type of music to Marianas Trench's core fanbase, the band pulls it off in a way that makes it listenable by almost anyone. The overall impression left upon me when finished the album was that these guys are incredibly good at writing songs for the style they intend. And though they are primarily only large in Canada currently, my guess is that if they continue to apply this skill in other concepts, they will be a band to watch for and may take the rest of the world by storm. Overall, I find this album to have no real filler. Certainly some songs are stronger than others but I could imagine every song being great for a live setting. Standout tracks: Cross my Heart, Beside You, Acadia, Celebrity Status, Masterpiece Theatre III. // 10

Masterpiece Theatre Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2009

Sound: My first impression when I popped this CD into the player of my car, was that the first track was definately suited to this band's abilities. The harmonies that they create with their voices are definately enjoyable. After The First album, I expected something a lot less then what they delivered with Masterpiece Theatre. This album was a definate surprise, and a good one ta boot! I thoroughly enjoyed the sound of this album. Josh has the most amazing voice, perfectly suited for these songs. // 10

Lyrics: My first impression of the lyrics was that they describe situations of everyday life, but you have to really listen and pay attention to understand what the song is trying to portray. Another thing that I noticed is that Josh does something that most singers in his genre don't do enough, annunciate! In all of these songs you can understand what he's saying! // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists in the rock genre, marianas trench is way up there in my books. They have the power in their lyrics, voice, and the way they portray the two. Some of my favorite songs include "Sing Sing" and "All To Myself" and definately "Cross My Heart" These songs are very influencial to me and sound like songs that will soon be topping the charts! If someone stole my copy of the album I would definately buy a new one! This is one of the best albums I've bought since Simple PLan in 2008... I love the way they make their voices harmonize in Masterpiece Theatre Pt.1, in the intro. // 9

Masterpiece Theatre Reviewed by: Drazorback123, on may 06, 2009

Sound: The band's newest creation is defenitly their best one. They did what they wanted to do, and that is make a Bohemian Rhapsody/Good Vibrations type song. They did this in the first track, Masterpiece Theatre I. "All To Myself", "Cross My Heart", "Sing Sing" and "Celebrity Status" are amazing and strong rock ballads leaving the listener hoping the song was longer. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album were a bit better than those in their previous album. The band does a great job of putting in harmony between the lead and backing vocalists. The lyrics themselves are catchy and are easy to sing. Josh Ramsay displays his singing skills amazingly in this album; more particularly in the closing song "Masterpiece Theatre III". // 10

Overall Impression: "Masterpiece Theatre" was a good choice by the band making it the opening song of the album. "All To Myself" and "Cross My Heart" were equally good rock songs, which I believe have what it takes to be successful on the charts. "Beside You" was probably one of the best songs on this album. "Acadia" make you remember things that have happened in the past, hopefully good things. "Masterpiece Theatre II" unfortunately wasn't as good as the others in the album. "Sing Sing" and "Celebrity Status" continue on as good rock songs. "Good To You" is an outstanding track with the vocals of lead singer Josh Ramsay and guest vocalist Kate Voegele. "Perfect", "Lover Dearest" and "Masterpiece Theatre III" complete the album on a good note. I would buy this album again if mine was lost or stolen. I think that this album will end up as one of the best this year because it is. // 10

More Marianas Trench reviews rating latest review