Born Villain Review

marilyn manson: Born Villain
Released: May 1, 2012
Genre: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Glam Rock
Label: Cooking Vinyl, Hell, Etc. Records
Since he entered national airwaves in 1994 Marilyn Manson has been costantly trying to find new and original ways to shock people, but occasionally he gets together with his band and releases some music. "Born Villain" is the eighth studio release by Marilyn Manson.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.2
 8.4
Born Villain Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 01, 2012

Sound: Brian Warner began his career while going to college for a journalism degree, and formed the band The Spooky Kids. Later on the name was changed to the name of Brian's stage persona, Marilyn Manson, and through connections he had made with Trent Reznor of NIN had their debut album "Portrait Of An American Family" released on Reznor's record label and went on tour to support NIN. This sky-rocketed Marilyn Manson to national infamy due to the controversial persona that Marilyn Manson had developed. Although initially the concept for the band was something between industrial metal and hardcore punk rock, their musically gravitated towards more of an alternative metal sound. Over the years, Marilyn Manson has cultivated his stage persona in order to create and sustain a level of shock from the general public which has often over-shadowed their music. Fast forward to 2012, and Marilyn Manson is releasing their eighth studio album, "Born Villain". Although they have fallen out of the national spotlight they had been such a subject of in the mid and late 90's, their music has been consistently interesting and often good. It appears that "Born Villain" will better than just interesting and will actually be a good album as well. I have to admit a distaste for the way Marilyn Manson has used shock as a marketing tool, and to enjoy his music I always have to listen to it and pretend I don't know anything about the band itself. I suggest this, as it really helps to enjoy the music for what it is. Really, the album feels like Marilyn trying to stretch a little bit but maybe not knowing exactly how to do it. At times it is well executed and at others it feels a little awkward. Regardless, it feels like a genuine effort, and honest, so I have to give it a thumbs up. // 7

Lyrics: As always, the lyrics of Marilyn Manson's songs range from being genuine to being designed to shock to just being generally depressive. I know that it sounds negative when I describe it that way but that isn't exactly how I mean it. I do have to be in the right frame of mind and mood to listen to Manson's lyrics, but often times I've learned while he may see the world through a distorted lens he isn't afraid to talk about the way things really are, at their darkest. We need artists that are willing to do this (even if they're possessed by their own over the top wigged out stage persona). The lyrics from Born Villain do seem to be much more personal than Brian Warner's past albums, which is something interesting because in the past his lyrics have been mostly about society or about the nature of fame. From the song "The Gardener", you have the following lyrics: "I'm not man enough to be human but I'm trying to fit in and I'm learning to fake it/ don't ever meet their friends/ tells you too much or not enough/ or worse, exactly the wrong thing/ every nuance every detail every movement every smell/ sound phrase inflection/ the way she laughs/ these are all the things you either obsessively fetishize or make yourself grow to love/ although you are supposed to be done growing she is still growing/ it is like a garden with two flowers one just blooming/ and casting a shadow just like yours/ and then it becomes a struggle of sunlight or rain or weeds". Most of the lyrics on "Born Villain" seem to be primarily autobiographical. Marilyn's vocal delivery is really the same as it ever was not really any comment you can make on that, though there is much more spoken word delivery on "Born Villain" than his previous releases. // 7

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on the album are "No Reflection", "Slo-Mo-Tion", "Breaking The Same Old Ground", and the title track "Born Villain". The only song I really dislike is "Pistol Whipped". This isn't the best album ever from Marilyn Manson, but it is the best we've seen in a few releases and it is much more personal lyrically than previous releases. As I listen to multiple listens I seem to feel differently about the album at each listen, but the end verdict is it is a worthwhile collection of songs. You may be able to tell from reading my review that I ran the gambit of emotions regarding this album, and I think from the interviews I've read this is what Marilyn Manson has intended. If so, then great job on his part. There are 14 tracks on the album counting the hidden track, which is a cover of "You're So Vain". With the bonus track the album clocks in at just over 63 minutes. This is really a respectable length for an album, which is a nice change from a lot of modern bands that release albums that clock in at under 30 minutes. A word about the bonus song the cover of "You're So Vain" if you don't compare it to the original, but listen to it as an individual song it isn't that bad, but it is probably the first cover from Marilyn Manson that I didn't like when compared to the original version. // 7

- Brandon East (c) 2012

Born Villain Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on june 01, 2012

Sound: The eight studio album by the band known as Marilyn Manson, so does it match up to the genious that was "Antichrist Superstar", "Holy Wood", or "Mechanical Animals"? No unfortunately, but it sure as heck passes "Golden Age Of Grotesque", or "Smells Like Children" and "Comes Close" to matching "Holy Wood", the sound isn't as original but still consists of creepy guitars and keyboards, to give it a unique Marilyn Manson sound, that I have always liked, and this album is no exception. // 9

Lyrics: Marilyn Manson has a terrific uniqueness most other vocalists can only try and get, and the lyrics are as Manson-ish as usual as you can get, depressing, true, murders suicide or just sad and depressing stuff in general, the lyrics are great too bringing out the originality in Manson once again which is a great thing in itself so this is one of his best albums for singing wise. // 9

Overall Impression: It doesn't match up the to "Antichrist", or "Mechanical Animals", but it surpasses "Golden Age Of Grotesque", in every way possible, my favourite song on it is "No Reflection", "Gardener" or "Born Villain". The bonus track, "Your So Vain", is no slouch either, so while not the immediate choice for a Marilyn Manson, fans, its a great album in its self, and a good buy for anyone interested. // 9

Born Villain Reviewed by: TypeOChik, on october 19, 2012

Sound: This album is innovative and unique. The sound is more like classic Manson and takes me back to "Portrait Of An American Family". The style varies from song to song and just when you think you know where the album is going, it changes direction. The album overall is impressive and rekindled my flame for Manson after it was doused a little by "Eat Me, Drink Me", soon to be only half-way revived with "The High End Of Low". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are Manson style riddles and word-play. "Overneath The Path Of Misery" quotes lines from "Macbeth". Manson's voice is matured but still strong. Not as much of a vocal range as displayed in previous albums. The lyrics range from serious and dark to silly and neurotic. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is on my top three of Manson albums, along with "Golden Age Of Grotesque" and "Portrait Of An American Family". Manson brings something a little different to all of his albums and this one is modern and edgy, but not overly in-your-face lyrically or musically. It is not a super heavy album. The songs that will quickly get stuck in your head are "Born Villain", "Pistol Whipped" and "Overneath The Path Of Misery". There aren't any songs that I would skip over, the album is a great listen all the way through. Manson displays his aging descent into the world of rock by creating an album that is accompanied by visually stunning videos and a sound that any true Manson fan will appreciate. All-in all he shows that he still has it, but somehow he is just not that guy with the long black hair and striped leggings that we embraced during the "Portrait Of An American Family" era. This album shows traces that he is still in there somewhere, older and more defined. If this album was stolen I would replace it ASAP and then break someone's fingers. // 9

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review