Eat Me, Drink Me Review

marilyn manson: Eat Me, Drink Me
Release Date: Jun 5, 2007
Label: Interscope Records
Genres: Rock, Gothic Rock
Eat Me, Drink Me shows off the mellower and more sensual side of Marilyn Manson.
 8.2
 8.2
 8.1
Eat Me, Drink Me Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 05, 2007

Sound: We're all pretty used to Marilyn Manson's obsession with the darker side of life, but his latest record Eat Me, Drink Me goes in a bit of different direction -- love, or at least Manson's version of love. There aren't any typical ballads on the new album, but many of the songs revolve more around sex, lust, and love than anything else. The song tempos reflect the themes, so you're in for a mellower Manson for the most part. Of course, Manson always loves to push the envelope in whatever he does, and his love songs absolutely keep to that tradition. The opening track If I Was Your Vampire doesn't start out with a high-energy beat, instead taking a slithering, sexual approach. It's actually a great song and sets a chilling mood for the album. There is a distinctive cut in the creepy synthesizers that Manson used in past Manson songs, but it is just as effective with just Manson's voice and one guitar. Listeners are even treated to a bit of falsetto from Manson, which takes the song in an unexpected yet cool direction. Are You The Rabbit is another memorable track on the CD, with an excellent, slow-grooving guitar intro that makes for an all-around great rock song. Manson doesn't need to add any scary lyrical overtones because the guitar itself has an ominous, old school Danzig feel. The tempo goes up and down depending on the section of the song, and it keeps things interesting, with Manson even showing off his range a bit more. It's one of the few songs on the record that feels like a straight-out rock song, and the pinnacles comes at the end when guitarist Tim Skold delivers an amazing solo. There is nothing that really approaching the evil sound of Beautiful People on Eat Me, Drink Me, so some previous fans might not like the slower, sensual side of Manson. A few songs like They Said Hell's Not Hot are slightly disappointing because they don't live up their lurid titles. There is definitely a cut in the synth work, and that is one part of Manson's earlier work that will be missed. // 8

Lyrics: Manson always does his best to make his lyrics a bit scandalous, and the latest album still reflects that for the most part. The track If I Was Your Vampire is a prime example, particularly because it's mixed with his other favorite new topic: love/infatuation. He sings, You press the knife; Against your heart; And say, 'I love you, so much you must kill me now.' Manson wrote the lyrics in a chronological fashion, and hearing how the story evolves does make it an interesting listen. Evidence explores the sexual side once again, and Manson is a little more explicit this time. He sings, You're so sudden and sweet; All legs, knuckle, knees; Head's blown clean off; Your mouth's paid off; f--k me 'til we know it's unsafe. Some listeners will be offended, but at this point in his career it might seem like a letdown not to have a few songs like that on a Manson album. // 8

Overall Impression: Probably the most apparent difference in the new material is the lack of synth work. Manson obviously doesn't feel like he needs extra effects to create an eerie sound anymore, particularly when the topics of many of his songs revolve more around sex. It was definitely the shock rock that lured many of his fans to him back in the '90s, so the toned-down Manson might be somewhat disappointing for those people. What is great about Eat Me, Drink Me is Manson's ability to still write a solid song. A few songs get stuck in a musical rut at times and don't go anywhere, but then there are songs like You And Me And The Devil Make Three. The track has a slight industrial feel at times, but it's actually the cool bass and very subtle synth lines that carry the song. Manson is impressive as a songwriter, and he was probably wise to toss aside the scarier side of his persona to show off the stripped-down side of his music. // 8

Eat Me, Drink Me Reviewed by: swordsrkewl, on june 12, 2007

Sound: This is probably Mansons most personal approach to an album. It's very demented if you will, filled with many weird figurative descriptions. it's definitely nothing you have ever heard before from him. Overall great album, Tim Skold I think recall stepped it up on guitar, definitely the most guitar oriented album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are obviously very personal. Manson tells about his divorce with his ex wife Dita Von Tese, and his new relationship with Evan Rachel Wood. there are a lot of dark themes in this album as I had mentioned before. In certain songs like If I Was Your Vampire is almost written in a narrative style. In fact he wrote that at 6am Christmas morning as it says in the song obviously. He talks about his ups and downs during those years in his life when he wasn't making music. His singing skills have improved, deffinetly more singing then screaming on this album. Lyrically and vocally it's different then any other album he has done. But that's what I like about him, each album has a distinctive sound and it's a good thing for an artist to have, I think it's becuase of all the muscisans coming in and out of his band, except manson, maddonna wayne gacy really. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is different then the others he has done, but it's still really good and I suggest picking it up. It's got great guitars and good lyrics, not the Antichrist stuff, not that it wasn't bad it's just not in this album is all, and if that's the reason that made you dislike Manson, then pick this album up, it's great. I like all the songs but my favorites are, You Me And The Devil Makes 3, Putting Holes In Happiness, and The Red Carpet Grave. // 9

Eat Me, Drink Me Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on june 12, 2007

Sound: This is about a romance, maybe concept, album. It might be because of his affair, divorce, and new girlfriend. But Manson was been recorded to quote, "I don't want people to think that the record is some kind of exploitation of my personal life." But there seems to be some parallels. The starting track "If I was your Vampire," sends a chilling signal about the concept of the album, and is what most people would want from Manson, the Antichrist Superstar. But the album takes a different turn, during the rest of the album, putting a more mellow, sincere mood to the album. On "The Red Carpet Grave" and "They said hell'd not hot," a western feel can be heard through guitarist, Tim Skold. Skold has put a lot more thought out in making this record, comparing to the "chords and riff" of past songs. He is even heard to solo in several songs. The sin side of sex is very noticeable, in "Are You the Rabbit?" and "You and Me and the Devil makes 3." Even "Heart-shaped Glasses" has a sexy, playboy feel to it. But the last track, "Eat Me, Drink Me," bring the album back where it started, with a dark, tragic, fantasy sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics can be disturbing and offensive to some listeners, but hard-core Manson fans should be okay with it. "Murdercute, happyrape, murdercute, happy, happy, happyrape, Killer," ("You and me and the Devil makes 3") is not what many people like to hear, but this is defiantly pure Manson. He is very open with everyone here, not afraid at all to admit his weaknesses and sins. "And we'll paint Over the evidence, I want your pain, To taste why you're ashamed, And I know you're not just what you say to me." ("Evidence") This seems to be deep and have a story behind it, something I've been wanting to here him say. The album parallels "Alice in Wonderland" as well. First off, the album is named, "Eat Me, Drink Me" which are written on the food that makes your grow or shrink. And the song, "Eat Me, Drink Me," has numerous references to the fantasy. The "Red Queen" is of course the Queen of Hearts, and the lines, "The trees in the courtyard Are painted in blood, So I've heard. She hangs the headless Upside down to drain." are about when the soldiers are executed for "painting the roses red" on the trees, when they were white. Isn't Manson still going to make the movie about C.S. Lewis? // 8

Overall Impression: This record has a different note than the ancestor albums. Manson doesn't have the same adolescent theme, "f-ck you, you don't control me," like the other albums have conveyed. The theme of sex is still there, but still in a different maturer form. I love the fact there is more guitar, cause the the riffs and stuff are a major influence on what I like. I am glad Skold did a good job on writing the songs. But I like Marilyn Manson to be a little more in my face, instead of "humming tragic tails in the back." The aggression is what I like, but the lyrics are better than past works. // 7

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review