Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) Review

artist: marilyn manson date: 04/08/2008 category: compact discs
marilyn manson: Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)
Released: Nov 14, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal
It's easy to see this as the definitive Marilyn Manson album, since it's tuneful and abrasive.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 07, 2003

Sound: I really love the guitar sound in this album and how it ties in with everything else. I really am outstanded at how he blended the special effects from M.W. Gacy with the talented guitar from John5. I also need to give my favorite bassist, Twiggy Ramirez. He is extreamly talented. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of these lyrics was, great! I like the way that Marilyn Manson can really say something and make it sound good. Most of this album is about outcast teens and being depressed and also about sucide. The guitars have a depressing effect on you in "Coma Black: Eden Eye/The Apple of Discord", "The Fall of Adam", "Lamb of God", and "The Nobodies" so it is only fitting that the lyrics are depressing too. In songs such as "Disposable Teens", "The Love Song", and "Burning Flag" have a heavy industrial rock sound, they have a lot more energy and are faster songs than most on this cd, but the lyrics are mostly killing, suicide, and other depressing things. Marilyn Manson uses digital effects to warp his voice, but he also uses his natural voice talents. Overall he is extreamly good for the faster songs, and also the slow depressing songs such as "The Lamb of God". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is not Marilyn Manson's best but it is in my personal "Top 3", along with "Anti-Christ Superstar", and "Mechanical Animals". I really like how he blends "Anti-Christ Superstar", and "Mechanical Animals" to make one of the best albums ever. I would advise anyone to buy it. // 10

Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) Reviewed by: swordsrkewl, on july 03, 2006

Sound: This album is quite phenominal. It's almost as if it tells some sort of a story, and it dose. If you noticed his earlier release Antichrist superstar, it describes complete chaos, then it rolls on into Mechanical Animals, it has a new futuristic upbeat sound and describes a time of confusion among everything, then Holy Wood comes along, it talks about the downfall of society and religon and the Antichrist rule. This is by far my favorite album, I enjoy listening to it, it also produced some of Mansons most memorable tunes, like Disposable Teens, Fight Song, and the sequal to Coma White-Coma Black. This album has a dark haunting feel. It introduces you into a world into something you have never experianced. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and forboding, nothing less I would ahev expected from Manson. This album goes everywhere with styles of rock, there are some acoustic traks such as In the Shadow Of The Valley Of Death. It talks about the decline of the world we live in to today, he basically created a satire world parallel to ours. The lyrics and teh music math eachother perfectly and John5 and Manson really did a good job of workign together on this album. Especially in songs like Coma Black its a very dark and alluring song. It's like a car crash, it sounds scary but theres something that perplexes you into listening to it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far in my opinion the best album. Its perfect, there is no bad song on this CD. It was a wonderful way to wrap up a great story. Some of ym favorite songs are Fight Song, Love Song, Disposable Teens (a great anthem song), Cruci-Fiction In Space, In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death, Coma Black, King Kill, and Target Audience. There is nothing to hate on this album its absolutly perfect. If I lost the CD I would go buy it again because of the speical goodies you get on it! // 10

Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) Reviewed by: model_15, on april 28, 2007

Sound: Quite possibly Manson's greatest work. I felt the band consisted of the best members they have had during the bands entire carreer. It's a very powerful album with great guitar licks from John 5, twiggy and Ginger were basically the backbone of this album. This album left such an impression on me I decided to get the HollyWood symbol tattooed on the inside of my right forearm. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing, they dove into martyrdom and celebrity status of dead people in america. And they also touched on the hypocrisies of America. Even the fillers in between the songs just made CD perfect, I listen to the album from start to finish whenever it's in my CD player. All in all, it's to powerful to explain. // 10

Overall Impression: I felt this album was the pinnacle for Marilyn Manson considering that every vital member quit the band, and Golden Age of Grotesque was a flop. I love this album from start to finish, but my favorite song would be "The Love Song" "President Dead" and "King Kill 33" I've had this album stolen from me, and I replaced it within weeks. // 10

Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) Reviewed by: VidGamer870, on april 08, 2008

Sound: Musically, this album is a cross between the highly-polished production of "Mechanical Animals" and the dark sonic character of "Antichrist Superstar". It sounds like hard rock, genre-wise, and has plenty of guitar and keyboard parts. This record is also the first one for which John 5 performed guitar. Sadly, his talent is underused here. Twiggy Ramirez is as good of a composer as ever. // 8

Lyrics: Manson used this album, in many ways, as a rebuttal to those who had blamed him for the Columbine massacre. He also used it to criticize the aspects of society that cause such events to occur, such as our unconscious glorification of Martyrdom. The usual criticisms of organized religion, particularly Christianity, can also be found. Manson's vocal quality is up there with his work on "Mechanical Animals". // 8

Overall Impression: The album, though not a masterpiece as the previous two had been, is still pretty good. My favorite songs from it are "The Love Song", "Target Audience", "Coma Black", and "Valentines Day/The Fall of Adam". The rest, though, are not up to what at the time was his usual standard. More than anything else, the songs are forgettable. The record is still better, though, than "The Golden Age of Grotesque" or "Eat Me, Drink Me". // 7

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review