Lest We Forget: The Best Of Review

marilyn manson: Lest We Forget: The Best Of
Released: Sep 28, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal
It has enough of the hits to make this worthwhile for the casual fans, as well as those listeners who never wanted to admit that these late-'90s alt-rock radio staples were guilty pleasures.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.1
 8.7
 9.4
Lest We Forget: The Best Of Reviewed by: grimsk8er, on january 04, 2006

Sound: This CD is a pretty good anthology of Manson's songs. Some songs that I would have liked to hear include Irresponsible Hate Anthem and Great Big White World, but it's not a bad assortment. None of the songs on the album are bad, but some are not as good as others. There is a Depeche Mod cover on the CD that is awesome, Personal Jesus. Tainted Love and Long Hard Road Out Of Hell are awesome songs too, theyre unreleased. If you're just curious about Manson's sound you should get it because it does appeal to a lot of people. Before Manson I listened to all Nirvana and AC/DC, and now Marilyn Manson is my favorite band. So if you're just curious buy it, it's well worth it. // 9

Lyrics: Manson's lyrics are hands down awesome, and the music goes well with it. Marilyn Manson is a great singer with awesome talent. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a greatest hits, so it's somewhat like all his other records except for you will like all of the songs, instead of just a few of them (for just beginner listeners). The guitar for this album is great too, I learned a lot of songs off of it. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy it again. My copy already has a scratch on The Fight Song, but I already have it on MP3 so it's ok. Go out and get it now. // 10

Lest We Forget: The Best Of Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2004

Sound: Marilyn Manson has always impressed me. When he was with John 5 he was at his best. With amazing twisted lyrics and sweet sometimes mental guitar riffs. If you heard John 5's latest album, 'Vertigo', you would never think he was Marilyn Manson's guitarist. Now he jsut sounds like a mad hillbilly. Since John 5 left the band, the bassist has been doing guitar as well, and shows his amazing talent in 'Personal Jesus'. This song sounds a bit like some of the old stuff, like 'Rock Is Dead' but I still love it. // 10

Lyrics: Excellent lyrics. Manson has always been a highly talented singer. From his very first songs 10 years ago, to now, he has always managed to maintain an excellent voice, and write amazing and bizzare lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I know it's a 'Greatest Hits' album, but there are some songs here that I haven't heard before, like 'Lunchbox' for example. If it was stolen I probably would buy it again, even though It's mostly made up of songs from 'The Golden Age Of Grotesque' and 'Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)' which I already have. A great compilation CD, and I think they have chosen the right songs to classify his 'Greatest Hits'. // 10

Lest We Forget: The Best Of Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2004

Sound: Marilyn Manson is almost always elctrifying. This cd has good sound but I also have a few petpieves on the album. This is a best of album. Is Marilyn Manson, arguably the most brilliant artist, bussinesman, shock rocker, going into retirement. I expect artists like Eagles or Metallica or Skynard to come out with best of albums not Mr. Manson. His new single Personal Jesus it seems like he is trying to do to much it is very repetitive and is not the manson we know. He isn't looking for praise from us though that is where I respect him, he is doing what he feels. // 6

Lyrics: Mansons lyrics are great. Take a look at Tourniquet "she's made of hair and bone and little teethand things I cannot speakshe comes on like a crippled playthingspine is just a stringI wrapped our love in all this foilsilver-tight like spider legsI never wanted it to ever spoil but flies will always lay their eggs Take your hatred out on memake your victim my head you never ever believed in me I am your tourniquet." Anger is a virtue, people are angry when they think about Manson, well Manson is angry when he thinks about people, and guess what even the purest thing will spoil, but something that is allready Rotten begin with wont. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this best of cd is mixed feelings, the tracklist is very iffy here it is: Love Song, Personal Jesus, Mobscene, Fight Song, Tainted Love, Dope Show, This Is The New Shit, Diposable Teens, Sweet Dreams, Lunchbox, Tourniquet, Rock Is Dead, Get Your Gun, Nobodies, Long Hard Road Out Of Hell, Buetiful People, and Reflecting God. Now for greatest hits how are you going to put something on that cd that was released not even a year ago, NOTHING from Grotesque should be on this CD, it is to new, when you think greatest hits you think 20 years back when your career started. This is all a marketing scheme. No doubt about it these songs all are great but it is waaaaay way to early for this CD. Manson Put Some new music out! Please don't sell your self short. Also if its greatest hits you should have it on SACD also but we will never find it in this music because anything made SACD is the bullshit music we now call pop. Popculture quiz., since when does pop music consist of little girls dancing around as whores and singing about sex or talking about what a girl needs? I'm sure Fleetwood Mac would be embarresed to be catagorized as pop now. And we wonder where all the pedophiles are coming from, please dont look around you, go straight to your bathroom and look in the mirror at yourself because your the parents who are promoting it by buying your 5 year old daughter that Brittany "sex-slave" Spears Album or letting your 9 year old watch that Nicole and Paris "I have sex on video tape" Hilton Simple Life. Now come to realize your part of the blame quickly turn to your toilet and puke, because you are the first that would say I don't know why it happened. I'm sorry but noise made with samples and rhymes isnt music to me, pick a guitar, a bass, a saxaphone, a bongo or even a f--king bagpipe up for christ sake. That's all I have to say "the american way has ultimatly sickened me" hey but I guess what sells is what sells so lets sacrafice all of our innocent children remember when I said even the purest thing will spoil well it has. // 6

Lest We Forget: The Best Of Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Sound: I've pretty much always loved the innovativing from Manson. He always had something new and has always kept me coming back for more. His Best Of album was pretty damn good. I thought some songs like The Minute Of Decay and Cake And Sodomy were missing but other than that Pet Pieve Of Mine it was pretty good. This album shows how Manson has evolved in sound ways. The songs from his first album show his lyrical humor, but as you listen on you can see manson's take on society and his feelings about other various subjects. Manson definitely has his own sound which is industrial, nu-metallish. The way he uses the simple bass lines and easy guitar riffs with the keyboards and the somewhat peppy drumbeats is interesting. But one of the drawbacks to this album were the songs off his new album. As mentioned before in other reviews, nothing off his newest album should of been on here. But still when you ignore that, the album is great and deserving of a 5. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are Manson's specialty. I think he is one of the best lyricists out there right now. He knows how to get his feelings out on paper. I love Manson's use of metaphors and his melodies. The lyrics definately match with the music. In songs like Lunchbox, the goofy little number about how no mother wants to mess with him and his "metal", goes well with the also goofy guitar riff and funky bass line. But in songs like The Reflecting God, the bass and keyoards work well together to form the verse. While in the chorus the heavy guitar comes in and does that simple riff that sound a little like another one of his songs, 1996. Basiclly the lyrics are worth more than a 5 and manson knows what he's doing witha pen and paper. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is good but no as good as manson could of made it. I loved most of the songs put on there, but I think he should of replaced the songs from his new album with songs from Protrait or Antichrist Superstar. If it were lost or stolen I would definatelly buy it again. // 10

Lest We Forget: The Best Of Reviewed by: jaeh?, on august 26, 2005

Sound: Marylin Manson's sound varies between albums so this is quite a mix, although it is mainly hard rock, through to metal. The guitar choruses (Dope Show), (Long Hard Road Out Of Hell) are just 8 times a power chord, then change powerchord. The overall sound, however is quite good. // 6

Lyrics: Manson is skilled in conveying his feelings in music, but some seem to be contreversial for the sake of it. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs are Mobscene, The Fight Song, and The Beautiful People. However I always skip Tourniquet, Disposable Teens, and The Dope Show, so better track selection could have been made. If I lost this album I would buy the last tour on earth as it is so much better. // 6

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review