Mechanical Animals Review

marilyn manson: Mechanical Animals
Released: Sep 15, 1998
Genre: Alternative Rock, Industrial Rock
Label: Nothing, Interscope
"Mechanical Animals" was another milestone for Marilyn Manson. It showed maturity and growth, but it was also another turn in a musical direction, featuring more polished sound with slicker production and a different songwriting style.
Mechanical Animals Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2004

Sound: Mechanical Animals is quite possibly Marilyn's best Cd. If you listen to Zim zum's Guitar you will hear something New everytime. Although Zim Zum did not stay for the last tour on Earth He did a great Job with this album. Once i heard John-5 Play it live I just about Crapped my pants. Mechanical Animals has the best Psycodelic guitar's Sence Pink Floyd. // 10

Lyrics: Marilyn Bash's on Gays, Cops, and Religion, while supporting Drugs all in the same album. I never thought that that would be possible. But Manson Proved that it was. He is was and will always be the best Singer. // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing bad about the album. If you don't already have it go out right now and buy it, you will be verry happy this cd unlike the stupid Matrix Revolutions let down. God, that movie sucked. The best Track on it is Coma White or Last day on earth. Go out, do what you have to do to get this album, buy it, burn it, steal it - just get it. // 10

Mechanical Animals Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on october 07, 2005

Sound: Mechanical Animals was another milestone for Marilyn Manson. It showed maturity and growth, but it was also another turn in a musical direction, featuring more polished sound with slicker production and a different songwriting style, resulting in a Kiss-meets-Bauhaus vibe. There are essentially two distinct sides to the album, the rock side, and the melancholic, reflective and depressing side. For Manson, this album was about getting feelings back, after being so numbed by pain that the senses were completely dulled. A sort of sarcastic/reflective view of himself if you will. The way the songs are constructed goes on to reflect that. For the depressive, melancholic moods the band opts for very open and ambient sound, employing acoustic and clean guitars, sparse keyboard lines and just as sparse drumming, and booming bass lines, with guitar put through delay and vibrato effects to further the perception of being in space, or detached and essentially alone, which is also the main lyrical theme. The music and lyrics go hand in hand, which definitely adds to the album significantly. The rock side of this album (or the Omega And The Mechanical Animals half if you will) reflects the overall decadent, wasteland feel of the album as well, ridiculing the typical rockstar image and lifestyle. Here the musical styles vary slightly, from punchy anthems like Rock Is Dead to sludgers such as the Dope Show. Another twist is added to this strange concoction by adding I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me), which adds handclaps, a Dave Navarro solo, a choir and an almost disco feel. Production on the album is excellent too, with crystal sound that effortlessly paints a picture in your head. The band was without its long-time producer for this album, Trent Reznor, and it definitely showed in both production and songwriting, with a much more open, less experimental sound. // 10

Lyrics: Mr. Manson possesses the sort of unique voice that is recognisable whether you are in a chuch, mall or a rock show. While it has its limits, I don't find that it's overly versatile, although he does possess a variety of techniques at his disposal, it suits the music perfectly, and is just a good voice in general, giving the music the feel and attitude that it may not otherwise have had. On Mechanical Animals Manson proves once again that he is an incredibly talented lyricist, mixing intelligence and decadence with humour and sarcasm. As been mentioned before, this album is literally about coming back from hell getting your feelings back, and the pain and alienation, mental detachment and separation that come with that. To quote Mr. Manson "After a while the character realises that he became everything he tried to fight, so in the end the only thing left to destroy is himself" and the lyrics only go further to show that, highlighted even more so by the rest of the band. // 8

Overall Impression: Manson describes himself as an artist, rather than a musician, and this album only supports that statement. Both music and lyrics are very image-prone, painting a unique landscape in your mind. While in general it carries a very depressive mood, it is also full of the dark, sarcastic sort of humour that Marilyn Manson is renowned for, poking fun at everyone, most of all himself. Musically, this is the band's greatest accomplishment, with deep, insightful and intelligent lyrics and the music to back it up with. In terms of guitar work this is probably Manson's most diverse album, as coupled with his usual sound, there are stylistic shifts, bluesy solos, lots of clean sections and acoustic guitars, and a more traditional rock sound as opposed to the industrial crunch and grind that you usually expect. It is highly recommended not only for Manson fans, but also the ones new to his work and even your average rock fans. Excellent material. // 10

Mechanical Animals Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2007

Sound: The sound of Marilyn Manson's third album truely redefined what people knew his sound and image to be. Until this point, most people had seen him as an obscene artist with a strong hate message (with the disclusion of the songs "The Man That You Fear and "Tourniquet"). The sound brought a deeper overall intimacy level and showed some of the sorrow and reasoning behind the hatred. Also, you hear much more of M. W. Gacy on his keyboard. Without a doubt, there is a tremendous difference between the opening song of Mechanical Animals (Great Big White World) and the opening of the Antichrist Superstar (Irresponsible Hate Anthem). I think that Manson put a lot more thought into this album than his last and definitely more than Portrait of an American Family. The sound makes me think he was inspired strongly by David Bowie (which he was) and possibly Freddie Mercury. // 10

Lyrics: In all of Manson's albums, he hit the nail on the head with this one for the most part. This album speaks much of personal issues including the death of a close friend. I feel he wanted to reach people on a more personal level. Obviously, he had a drug addiction at sometime in his life if not while writing (considering heavy drugs were used by all band members during the making of Antichrist Superstar). I feel he's being honest with everyone, therefore I personally can relate to this album best. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album Manson has made. The best songs on the album are Great Big White World, The Dope Show, Mechanical Animals, Rock Is Dead, Speed of Pain, Coma White, and I know it's on the Last Tour on Earth album but the acoustic version of The Last Day on Earth. I love that he comes out in the open with this album leaving nothing to hide. If this were stolen, I'd definitely get it again. I highly recommend getting this album above all. // 10

Mechanical Animals Reviewed by: VidGamer870, on august 06, 2007

Sound: "Mechanical Animals" was a big departure from Manson's previous three CDs. While they were rooted in industrial rock, glam rock was what was in store for the listener of this album. It was also a bit more polished-sounding than Manson's previous work. (Trent Reznor, the producer of the three previous CDs, liked to apply distortion on songs; listen to a Nine Inch Nails album to see what I mean). // 9

Lyrics: Like "Antichrist Superstar" and most of Manson's later work, "Mechanical Animals" is a concept album. Lyrically, it was (and is) his most mature album, lacking the outright hatred of "Antichrist Superstar" and the silly mess of puns and double-meanings that his later work like "The Golden Age of Grotesque" had. It was also the first album that he sounded decent vocally in. Whether that was because of more studio magic or not is up to debate, however. // 8

Overall Impression: I must say that this is still, after all these years, my favorite album of Manson's. The superior singing and maturity (both lyrically and musically) make this an album even non-fans can probably enjoy. My favorite songs from the album have to be "Great Big White World", "The Speed of Pain", "The Last Day on Earth", and "Coma White". If it were stolen from me, I would undoubtedly buy it again. // 10

Mechanical Animals Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on june 01, 2012

Sound: Yeah, Marilyn Manson. The very name is reminiscent of satanism, depression and general unhappiness, but this is a more mature Manson, you have some good songs in here like I don't like the drugs (but the drugs like me) and rock is dead, and the dope show, there isn't any bad songs on the album so to speak, or in my opinion, anyways, the sound is casual Manson, and made of creepy keyboards and guitar riffs, its not his most original, but that's not really a bad thing. // 9

Lyrics: Its lyrics are really depressing but good, with a more mature "story" to these songs, and as a result makes for some truly memorable songs e.g. "Rock Is Dead", "Dopeshow", and the music blends well with the lyrics but as I mentioned before lacks originality as it did in say "Antichrist Superstar", but its still more than good its great. // 9

Overall Impression: Its my second favourite Manson album ("Antichrist" being the best) but it's a great and - dare I say - beautiful album that will entertain you thoroughly from start to finish, its an album to be proud of, a great album to listen to, some truly excellent songs, and - most likely - your next favourite album. // 9

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review