The High End Of Low Review

marilyn manson: The High End Of Low
Released: May 26, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock / Industrial Metal / Glam Rock
Label: Interscope
Ever controversial, shock rocker Marilyn Manson brings bassist Twiggy Ramirez back into the fold and explores the industrial roots that made us love him in the first place.
 Lyrics: 6.8
 7.4
 8.5
The High End Of Low Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 26, 2009

Sound: Marilyn Manson has done nothing if not evolve over the course of his headline-grabbing career. He's adopted a David Bowie-esque persona, sliced himself up on stage and been blamed for school shootings and for encouraging the disaffected youth. That's all beside the point. Manson's main mission is making raw, mechanical, industrial-influenced hard rock. He's gotten back to that basic tenet of his sound on The High End of Low. There's a few polished moments here and there like Leave a Scar and 15 but he also slashes and burns with the in-your-face, both lyrically and musically, Pretty as a Swastika and Arma-Goddamn-Motherf--kin-Geddon. Manson isn't attempting to play nice. He's brought bassist Twiggy Ramirez back into the fold, which has reignited some of his old, semi-dormant anger. These two bring out the worst, and we mean that in the best possible way, in one another. Manson proudly lets his scraggly, industrial roots show on Blank and White, while Four Rusted Horses is influenced by the drug-dusted, Mechanical Animals-era of his career. // 8

Lyrics: Manson Brian Warner to his momma- isn't holding back, but then again, did we expect him to? He's talking swastikas, leaving scars, stupid teenage girls and a host of other topics that will have the Christian right wing faction hitting the roof and popping gaskets. He's not just looking for the cheap thrill, though; he's posing questions about how numb we've become to all the shit we see on the local evening news, where human beings are switched out in favor of being a nameless, faceless statistic. Manson bleeds on this record and that's just how we like it. // 8

Overall Impression: Not as gnarly as Antichrist Superstar and not nearly as eccentric as Mechanical Animals, The High End of Low is certainly more memorable than, say, Holy Wood or even Eat Me, Drink Me. Ramirez must be the catalyst sparking Manson's creative drive and gears, because he hasn't sounded this delightfully or determinedly pissed if in quote a long time. Manson is retrofitted to his groove on The High End of Low so let's hope he continues down this path for the next few years. Even though he hasn't really fallen from grace, he's certainly rebounding, musically-speaking, with The High End of Low, which does dip here and there with a few slow-tempo, melancholic songs like the haunting, ballad-like Running to the Edge of the world. But even the more maudlin songs retain Manson's edge. The High End of Low may confound some, with its alternating current of hope and despair, but diehard Manson'ites will click with this album with fevered passion. // 8

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

The High End Of Low Reviewed by: guitaluva17, on may 27, 2009

Sound: I got news for all you people out there: Manson is back! This record recovers his career from his previous, sub-par album, Eat Me Drink Me. The best way to describe this album is a mix of Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood with a little Golden Age thrown in. Twiggy's guitar is loud and blarin' and sounding great. He performs a very emotional solo on Into The Fire. Unfortunately, the sound of the record is slightly damaged by trachs like WOW, which I see to be a NIN rip-off, and 15, which has incredibly annoying vocals. Also, I Want To Kill You... Is a 9 minute bore-fest. Overall, the sound was very impressive. // 9

Lyrics: Here's my problem with the lyrics on this album: they're very self-centered. There's no great protest songs like The Fight Song or The Love Song. Although, the album does have bursts of great lyrics, such as in the track Devour where Manson repeatedly screams, "I can't sleep until I devour you!" Other great lyrical highlights are two ballads on the album, Into The Fire and Running To The Edge of The World. // 7

Overall Impression: This is Manson's best album since Holy Wood (which isn't really saying much). The best tracks on the album are the abrasive Pretty As A Swastika, the sad ballad Into The Fire, and the opening track Devour. With once listen, this album can easily be dismissed, but after a few listens, it can really grow on you. If you liked the first 4 Manson albums, you'll like this album. The big thing I dislike about it is that Manson put tracks on it like WOW and I Want To Kill You. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it back again within a day or two. // 8

The High End Of Low Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2009

Sound: Gosh, I would first like to start off by saying what a great comeback from "Eat me Drink me". I could not even get past the 3rd song on that album. Now that Twiggy is back, the two can focus on their sound more than he could with John 5. He seems to be experimenting with what he like's and what he isn't sure about. The track that caught my attention the most was the song "15". It seems like a slow hip hop ballad, however it still feels like a rock song. Another song that caught my attention was "Devour". I have been waiting a long time for another great Manson riff like this one. The main riff is very suttle, but at the same time, somewhat creepy. // 7

Lyrics: I'm not blown away by the lyrics, but at least this time hes not crying about his ex girlfriends... As much. It seems like he made a few attempts at his "shock rock" factor, however did not conjure any shock for me. The most shocking song on the album is "We're from America" which depicts what America really is....disaster. Sorry but there is no shock in this album. If he would of released this album in the mid 90's people would be freaking due to songs like "As Pretty as a Swastika" and "Arma-Goddamn-Motherf--king-Geddon", then released Anti-Christ Superstar Today, people would be even more shocked. I just recently pulled out that album and listened to it and found my self scared and shocked with some from that album, but then I remembered, he lost all that in a matter of years. // 5

Overall Impression: The album defiantly is not a "AntiChrist Superstar" or a "Holywood" but it is still a somewhat good album. There are some songs that are pretty good, an example would be "Into the Fire", which is Manson's first real ballad. However songs like "WoW" and "I want to kill you like they do in the Movies" are terrible. I would say buy some songs on itunes, but buying album isnt really worth it, unless your big Manson fan and want to keep collecting his album. I bought the Deluxe Edition with 6 alternate versions of songs on the album. These were more impressive than the original versions. So I guess this album doesn't hit a bang as much as I would like it to, but it is still a alright album. // 7

The High End Of Low Reviewed by: NicholasConners, on may 10, 2010

Sound: The High End of Low is the seventh Studio album released by the rock band known as Marilyn Manson. A band with a singer synonymous for being blamed for the violence and deaths seen worldwide on your very television screens. Though the target of religious scapegoating, the band has made it through thick and thin, and with The High End of Low, show that they are still one of the strongest bands out there. The High End of Low was created during a rough time in Manson's life, having lived alone, and in near exile for months during the creation of this dark, haunting piece. It follows his story from a near homocide/suicide to the revelation of self-discovery and the listeners are dragged along the journey like Jesus to the cross. The sound of the album is incredibly raw, reflecting his emotion and suffering infused lyrics and riffs that burn any heart drawn near. As raw as it is, it is fortunately not as overly produced as the previous album "EAT ME, DRINK ME", and has almost a type of quality to the instruments as did in the very Coma-Enducing "Mechanical Animals." Even so, some of the qualities lower when Manson's voice scrapes the sound walls that could have been better produced to prevent. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album describe the story, almost like that of Satan brings brought down from Heaven, crashing into to hell with a painful scream and thud. Marilyn Manson describes how, having cut off his wings to be with the one he loves, it ultimately destroys what made him special in the first place. This idea is reflected heavily in the track Manson start's just the very howl that would deter any rapist werewolves as he crashes through the layers of hell, titled "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell". The music and the lyrics play well together in this album, unlike EM,DM, which seemed to go better as an instrumental piece, rather than coupled with the pained lyrics of a broken man. And although The High End Of Low is not Marilyn Manson at his lyrical best, it does show he is still alble to bust out his wit and vitriol to match the equally devastatingly marvelous riffs of returning band member Twiggy Ramirez -- Jeordie White. His most lyrically stunning tracks, as I would suggest, are "Leave A Scar", "Four Rusted Horses", "Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon", "Running To The Edge Of The World", "I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies", "We're From America", "Wight Spider", "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell", "Into The Fire", and "15". These tracks, I felt, really had a deeper meaning and feeling inside of the lyrics that drove them, even the very open-sore lyrics of A-G-M-G. Were they his best? No. But it shows he has still not lost the ability to manipulate the english language into a configuration of brutal, and utter passion. // 7

Overall Impression: The High End of Low is no Tryptich album. It can not beat the likes of AntiChrist Superstar, HolyWood, or their sonically best - Mechanical Animals. But it is an album that shows a band re-emersing themselves in what made them a band in the first place. Revitalizing the dark spirit of the band's essence, this album is a stepping stone to what the future holds for the now label-free rock band. Free to torture our begging souls with his haunting lyrics, Twiggy's powerful riffs, and more wonderful artistis pieces from a band that has never once done the same album twice, like some artists that do not know how to evolve over time and eventually run stale. The album is strong, it signals the return of Twiggy, and he makes that return with a great impact like an asteroid to the Earth. Rocking and shaking the very foundation of what we knew of the band to its core only to create something even more invigorating and promising. But even so, it has a lot to be desired, which may hinder some listeners love for the more heavier, or lyrically efficient Manson they knew back from ACS to Golden Age. I recommend you purchase this album and listen to it fully. The High End of Low truly lives up to its name as there can be nothing but higher levels of artistic achievements for the band from here on out now that the low points that occured, and nearly destroyed the band during the eras of Lest We Forget and EM,DM are finally behind them. // 8

More Marilyn Manson reviews rating latest review