Songs About Jane Review

maroon 5: Songs About Jane
Released: Jun 25, 2002
Genre: Pop Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Octone, J
Rock mixed with funk, mixed with jazz, mixed with R'n'B-ish tinges plus blues rockish solos and a keyboard! What more could you want?
 Lyrics: 6.5
 7.6
 7.5
 7.7
Songs About Jane Reviewed by: ChrisW-Ness2003, on february 09, 2004

Sound: Maroon 5 can combine keyboard/piano with the other instruments to create a very unique sound. 'Harder To Breathe' was a good hard rock ballad to kick the record off and then the album goes to a different style for the older sounding 'This Love' there is also some nice guitar solos and vocals in the song 'Shiver'. The vocals are good in the record and there are exceptional good soft songs as well as hard rock tunes. The drums are definately worth mentioning as they are very complicated yet they totally fit. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to be very meaningful on the record although I seem to get the impression that they are obscessed with love-related lyrics. The singing skills are very good but there are one or two tracks which I think could be better such as 'Sweetest Goodbye'. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album is worth buying. To be honest, I thought that more of the songs would be heavier but I don't mind softer songs. I particulary liked 'Harder To Breathe', 'This Love' and 'Shiver' as these were very good lyrically and musically. If it were stolen, I would most likely buy it again as I believe it's a vital part to my CD collection. // 10

Songs About Jane Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2005

Sound: The sound of it was average and boring. This band became very overated and I think this band sucks buffalo balls. Songs like "She Will Be Loved" and "This Love" makes want to put my head in the oven. That is the last time I am opening up mind. It might be very sucsessful but it sure does suck. // 6

Lyrics: There are so much boring ballads that made me want to vomit. The songs are soft and dull. The singer always sounds like he is crying and the music is very dull and when you put it together than you got a huge pile of crap. // 2

Overall Impression: I hate how dull it is and I dont know why I bought it in the first place. Be wise and dont waste your money. Buy Screaming For Vengence by Judas Priest beacuse metal kicks pop's ass. // 2

Songs About Jane Reviewed by: corey182__, on june 09, 2004

Sound: "Songs About Jane" starts off with three great tracks. Harder to Breathe starts the album off well, with a more hard rock sound. The 2nd track This Love, of course, was the main reason I bought the album. I had already loved that song, that had a more funk beat, with a bit of alternative. Shiver, was the next track and it is pretty nice, its got the funk beat to it also. And the last track, which was the track that really stood out to me, and that I enjoyed the most, was Not Coming Home. It was recorded at a concert, and its got a really nice funk guitar riff in there. It was by far the best track on the record. But as for the rest of the album, it was softer, but it wasnt bad, it was just most of the songs sounded the same. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album were all about love. It just got boring after awhile hearing about the same stuff. It almost got annoying. // 6

Overall Impression: The best thing about the album was the funkish style on some of the songs. This Love, Shiver and Not Coming Home were by far the best songs on the album. The funk guitar riff in Not Coming Home was great. But I suggest you check out more of the album before you buy it, rather than basing your decision on This Love because the album is a lot different than that song. It is a good album, but not one of my favorites. // 6

Songs About Jane Reviewed by: rhcp_guitarist, on november 29, 2004

Sound: Rock mixed with funk, mixed with jazz, mixed with rnbish tinges plus blues rockish solos and a keyboard! What more could you want? This is at the mo my fav band because of this album. Basically the songs are all about this girl (you can guess her name) and I admit after a while it gets a bit too musch (hence the 4 in lyrics section) but still an extremely solid album. // 10

Lyrics: This singer has the best voice around at the moment. Honestly it just doesn't get any better. The lyrics are good, yet the topics are all about love and girlfriedns which after 12 songs gets too mcuh, so thats why there is a 4. Not much diversity in the lyrics doesn't mean not much diversity in song styles tho (funk rock, rock, soft rock, etc). The singing belnds with the music very well, and altho it leads the music most of the time rather than being part of it it still works. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is great. The best songs are Sunday Morning, The Sun, This Love, Harder To Breathe, Secret and Shiver, but all the other songs are great as well. The only thing I do not like is the lack of diversity in lyrics. Other than that 10/10. A very recommended buy! // 10

Songs About Jane Reviewed by: RHtonyflowCP, on august 17, 2007

Sound: With a fresh start for power pop, Maroon 5 prove to be the best chance for the genre. A brand new innovative sound with the bases of strong bass lines and sexually explicit lyrics that vocalist Adam Levine puts across with the soulful and young voice of a mastermind behind relationships struggling. The album's title really describes what the album's story covers. Most of the songs or all of them for that fact (I might be wrong I'll double check later) add up to the fact of heartbreak and sexual tension between the women and a man. The sound is very funky and also mellow, making it a deadly addictive mix of musical talent between the band. It sounds like the band mostly focus on making the best type of rhythm rather and song structure than chucking in complex solo's and crazy time signatures. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very powerful in the fact that most of it relates to heartbreak and deception between the opposite sex. Adam Levine the vocalist portrays the emotions perfectly in the different varied vocal pitches he has. He stands to be one of the best vocalists out there today with his very smooth and relaxed voice, with a very unique pitch and sound to the way he sings. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorite albums in my collection and does stand out a lot in terms of interest. My favorite song has to be "Through With You" which for me in my own opinion captures the essential funk essence of Maroon 5 in a whole. I can't say I hate any song on the album, every song takes you through a step in the story that Levine so passionately shares with the listener and I love that. If I lost it, I would with no hesitation buy it again. // 9

Songs About Jane Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album is well a bit ridiculous. On songs like not coming home they hit all the right funk riffs, but they can also sound like some awkward white boys that listened to James Brown and started a band on Shiver. They can nail a power ballad like on the sun but they can also fail one like on Tangled. And they can sing ballads with real energy on She Will be Loved and Must Get Out but they can just seem wimpy on Sweetest Goodbye. They can even rock in Harder to Breathe. They hit their best sound by far on Sunday Morning which begins a ballad but evolves into a sexy show tune by the end. They need to refine their sound if they are to succeed and make it a bit less hit-and-miss. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are the weakest part of the album by far. They live in a sort of heart-on-sleeve limbo between the mature poignancy of Lifehouse and the sheer ridiculousness of The Killers. Like Brandon Flowers of Killers the singer appears unable to move from his normal register of a girly falsetto. It can be honey sweet on She Will be Loved, slightly vintage on the hit This Love, and he can effectively belt on Sunday Morning. But he does need to expand his vocal register and sing about something besides women as on Harder to Breathe in which he rails against record companies. The best lyrics are on Sunday Morning again in which he tells of a one-night stand he is so determined to fine with real gusto and on the Sun in which they tackle teenage angst over a break-up in ways Fall Out Boy can only dream of. // 6

Overall Impression: All in all Maroon 5 needs to refine their sound if they are to be players in this pop world. I loved the lovey-dovey stuff and bands like that have a place in this world. But they need to make it less weepy as on Sweetest Goodbye and more angry as on Not Coming Home and Harder to Breathe. I must confess also I loved Sunday Morning and while the album wouldn't be on my top 10 albums, maybe in the top 50, Sunday Morning is fifth on best songs. Move towards that sound Maroon 5 and you will be one of the best bands around. // 9

More Maroon 5 reviews rating latest review